Chris Colucci: How Do You Train?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Just over … 143 pounds total bodyweight gained.

Oh, also, I got engaged a few weeks ago.
[/quote]

Fixed… congrats bud. recently engaged myself.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

Just over … 143 pounds total bodyweight gained.

Oh, also, I got engaged a few weeks ago.[/quote]

Fixed… congrats bud. recently engaged myself.[/quote]
Ha! Thanks man.

And congrats to you and the soon-Mrs. Island.

Hey Chris, I’ve always enjoyed reading your very informative posts. Do you have a recommended simple routine for upper body mobility stuffs? Kinda like the upper body version of Defranco’s agile 8 that I can do everyday.

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Hey Chris, I’ve always enjoyed reading your very informative posts. Do you have a recommended simple routine for upper body mobility stuffs? Kinda like the upper body version of Defranco’s agile 8 that I can do everyday.[/quote]
Thanks, man.

If you liked the Agile 8, you’ll love the Simple 6! [/Infomercial Guy Voice]

But yeah, DeFranco has what he calls the Simple 6 - a series of foam rolling and band-assisted stretching just for the upper body. That’d be one good place to start.

Eric Cressey has also put out a bunch of good mobility stuff, since he does a lot of work with baseball players/pitchers. You can also search Youtube for shoulder-specific warm-up drills from the Diesel Crew.

With any kind of mobility work, I think it’s really about finding the minimum effective dose and focusing on the best bang-for-buck movements your body needs. It’s easy to find 10 or 15 movements that feel great, but there comes a point with mobility work, just like with lifting, where you have to weed out the non-essentials and limit redundancy to maximize results.

Especially if you’re just looking for a little something to add to your general warm-ups, presuming don’t have any major issues that need addressing, there’s no real need to spend a full 20 minutes just on mobility drills before you start the day’s lifting. (If it’s a rest day and you want something to do while watching TV, that’s a little different story.)

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Short Term
+1 inch to legs and torso/nip line by April 1.
… [/quote]
The 1+ inch goal sounds pretty ambitious to me. Good luck.[/quote]
Okay so, you can have it in writing: LoRez, you were right. Ha.

Just over 1/2 inch gained on the torso/nip line, 1/4 inch gained on the thighs, 3 pounds total bodyweight gained.

Reflecting back, with goals like that, I would’ve been better served on some type of actual specialized training plan instead of full body sessions. [/quote]

Still good work.

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Hey Chris, I’ve always enjoyed reading your very informative posts. Do you have a recommended simple routine for upper body mobility stuffs? Kinda like the upper body version of Defranco’s agile 8 that I can do everyday.[/quote]
Thanks, man.

If you liked the Agile 8, you’ll love the Simple 6! [/Infomercial Guy Voice]

But yeah, DeFranco has what he calls the Simple 6 - a series of foam rolling and band-assisted stretching just for the upper body. That’d be one good place to start.

Eric Cressey has also put out a bunch of good mobility stuff, since he does a lot of work with baseball players/pitchers. You can also search Youtube for shoulder-specific warm-up drills from the Diesel Crew.

With any kind of mobility work, I think it’s really about finding the minimum effective dose and focusing on the best bang-for-buck movements your body needs. It’s easy to find 10 or 15 movements that feel great, but there comes a point with mobility work, just like with lifting, where you have to weed out the non-essentials and limit redundancy to maximize results.

Especially if you’re just looking for a little something to add to your general warm-ups, presuming don’t have any major issues that need addressing, there’s no real need to spend a full 20 minutes just on mobility drills before you start the day’s lifting. (If it’s a rest day and you want something to do while watching TV, that’s a little different story.) [/quote]

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that! Can’t believe I didn’t know defranco have one for upper body as well.

Yeah, there’s so many exercises that I like but zero clue on which one to incorporate or how to set up a simple daily routine. Reminded me of how I did more than 5 exercises for biceps alone in one session just to make sure I hit every angle or whatever it was. Thanks again!

[quote]Mizery wrote:

Especially if you’re just looking for a little something to add to your general warm-ups, presuming don’t have any major issues that need addressing, there’s no real need to spend a full 20 minutes just on mobility drills before you start the day’s lifting. (If it’s a rest day and you want something to do while watching TV, that’s a little different story.) [/quote]
Thank you very much, I really appreciate that! Can’t believe I didn’t know defranco have one for upper body as well.

Yeah, there’s so many exercises that I like but zero clue on which one to incorporate or how to set up a simple daily routine. Reminded me of how I did more than 5 exercises for biceps alone in one session just to make sure I hit every angle or whatever it was. Thanks again![/quote]
If you’re otherwise healthy and just looking for “something” to warm-up with, get everything loose, and keep the machine working, like I said a small handful of movements should be fine.

I like something that moves the hips around, something that addresses the shoulders/t-spine, and something that addresses the core/abs/low back. Those are kinda the “big three” spots. From there, you can fill in with some stuff targeted to your body, if necessary.

For example, the most basic warm-up/mobility/activation drills that I do before every session is just:
Arms overhead reverse lunge with twist 1x10
Cat/camel 1x10
Plank with arm movement (alternate hands touching opposite wrist) 1x5
Plank with foot movement (alternate touching one foot’s big toe to other foot’s heel) 1x5

I don’t rush through any movement, but it’s just a few minutes for the whole series. On squat days, I add basic hip circles and ankle circles because it feels good for me. On days with upper body pressing, I may add LYTP raises 1-2x10-15. I’ll admit I don’t foam roll too often, but when I do it’s usually before bed.

Just saying, try to figure out the fewest/basic movements that get you feeling good head to toe (could end up being 3 moves, could be 5 or 7), and then see if there are any “trouble spots” that you think warrant extra attention on a regular or semi-regular basis.

[quote]Mizery wrote:

Yeah, there’s so many exercises that I like but zero clue on which one to incorporate or how to set up a simple daily routine. Reminded me of how I did more than 5 exercises for biceps alone in one session just to make sure I hit every angle or whatever it was. Thanks again![/quote]
If you’re otherwise healthy and just looking for “something” to warm-up with, get everything loose, and keep the machine working, like I said a small handful of movements should be fine.

I like something that moves the hips around, something that addresses the shoulders/t-spine, and something that addresses the core/abs/low back. Those are kinda the “big three” spots. From there, you can fill in with some stuff targeted to your body, if necessary.

For example, the most basic warm-up/mobility/activation drills that I do before every session is just:
Arms overhead reverse lunge with twist 1x10
Cat/camel 1x10
Plank with arm movement (alternate hands touching opposite wrist) 1x5
Plank with foot movement (alternate touching one foot’s big toe to other foot’s heel) 1x5

I don’t rush through any movement, but it’s just a few minutes for the whole series. On squat days, I add basic hip circles and ankle circles because it feels good for me. On days with upper body pressing, I may add LYTP raises 1-2x10-15. I’ll admit I don’t foam roll too often, but when I do it’s usually before bed.

Just saying, try to figure out the fewest/basic movements that get you feeling good head to toe (could end up being 3 moves, could be 5 or 7), and then see if there are any “trouble spots” that you think warrant extra attention on a regular or semi-regular basis.[/quote]

I probably have to google some of those exercises, but excellent stuffs as always!

For some reason, like some of the others here I’ve always thought you have a ponytail… I imagined you to look like this guy:

https://www.youtu.be/gJ3cRBcPU-Q

[quote]Mizery wrote:
For some reason, like some of the others here I’ve always thought you have a ponytail… I imagined you to look like this guy:
…[/quote]
At this rate, I’ll have to grow one out just so I stop disappointing people.

So, since this has also become a bit of a Q&A thread, I had a couple questions.

Were John McCallum and Bradley J Steiner the same person? Their writing styles are different, but their routines and philosophies were almost the exact same. For the most part, abbreviated full-body routines consisting of high-rep squats, behind-the-neck presses, stiff-leg-deadlifts with some benching and BB curls. And prone hypers for warmups.

Also, are you familiar with 5BX at all?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Were John McCallum and Bradley J Steiner the same person? Their writing styles are different, but their routines and philosophies were almost the exact same. For the most part, abbreviated full-body routines consisting of high-rep squats, behind-the-neck presses, stiff-leg-deadlifts with some benching and BB curls. And prone hypers for warmups.[/quote]
Ha, nope. Totally two different guys. Above, McCallum’s on the left and Steiner’s on the right. Pretty sure McCallum was writing at least a little while before Steiner, but they were both writing in the 1970s.

As for their advice, I think most of that is along the lines of “the top coaches will agree on 90% of things, while the less informed will argue over that last 10%.” Stu McRobert is another guy who wrote largely the same type of advice, but he was more through the '80s.

Oh, also I’m gonna say they’re two different guys because McCallum died in the '80s. Steiner is still alive and kicking, literally, teaching “American Combato” in Seattle. Strangely, I haven’t seen anything about when or why he seems to have totally dropped out of the muscle building scene, other than apparently to devote more time to his martial art.

Funny side note about BJS: Just a few weeks ago I sent a 1979 Bradley Steiner arm training article to a buddy. (From a random MuscleMag International I found at an old book store.) In it, he said, “While thighs might look good when exceeding 25”, arms rarely do. I know there are no 25" arms around - yet! - but the way things are going in the bodybuilding world, you never know!" I can only imagine what he thinks of the last 20 years of IFBB pros.

He also said: “Anyone who succeeds in building upper arms eight or nine inches bigger than his wrist measurement will have a great pair of arms; but ten inches over is it. … Can you build arms beyond the size mentioned? Yes. How? With drugs. Is it worth it? Only if you’re a horse’s ass.” (All emphasis his.) That was an interesting size standard I’d never heard before. Makes some sense though.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but just did some quick research. Looks like a super-basic bodyweight plan for training everyday. Similar ideas have come up before - Waterbury’s PLP, Matt Furey’s Combat Conditioning, Bob Hoffman’s Daily Dozen and Daily Six, I’m pretty sure Sandow even had a recommended daily series.

For a no equipment bodyweight-only plan, the template of “some stretching/mobility, a core drill, a push-up variation, some kind of cardio” isn’t too bad for general fitness, and I’m not going to disagree with the RCAF, but there’s probably a decent reason why they don’t use it anymore.

congrats on the engagement!

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
congrats on the engagement![/quote]
Thanks a bunch. We’re in no real rush, but we are starting to discuss some plans. Beach ceremony or church, dj or band, whether the dog or one of the cats is ring bearer.

Ha, nope. Totally two different guys. Above, McCallum’s on the left and Steiner’s on the right. Pretty sure McCallum was writing at least a little while before Steiner, but they were both writing in the 1970s.[/quote]

Yeah, so I “know” that they’re different people, but some of the commonalities are uncanny. I was reading some of BJS’s writing over the weekend, and even down to some of the phrasing, it was the same stuff. (Granted, I wouldn’t be surprised if they borrowed heavily from each other, since they’re both preaching the same message.) It was almost like it was the same author, just two personas: one for a younger less-mature lifter (McCallum), and one for an older more-mature lifter (Steiner).

[quote]Oh, also I’m gonna say they’re two different guys because McCallum died in the '80s. Steiner is still alive and kicking, literally, teaching “American Combato” in Seattle. Strangely, I haven’t seen anything about when or why he seems to have totally dropped out of the muscle building scene, other than apparently to devote more time to his martial art.

Funny side note about BJS: Just a few weeks ago I sent a 1979 Bradley Steiner arm training article to a buddy. (From a random MuscleMag International I found at an old book store.) In it, he said, “While thighs might look good when exceeding 25”, arms rarely do. I know there are no 25" arms around - yet! - but the way things are going in the bodybuilding world, you never know!" I can only imagine what he thinks of the last 20 years of IFBB pros.[/quote]

Probably why he gave up writing :wink: Interesting size standard too for arms. Makes a lot of sense.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but just did some quick research. Looks like a super-basic bodyweight plan for training everyday. Similar ideas have come up before - Waterbury’s PLP, Matt Furey’s Combat Conditioning, Bob Hoffman’s Daily Dozen and Daily Six, I’m pretty sure Sandow even had a recommended daily series.

For a no equipment bodyweight-only plan, the template of “some stretching/mobility, a core drill, a push-up variation, some kind of cardio” isn’t too bad for general fitness, and I’m not going to disagree with the RCAF, but there’s probably a decent reason why they don’t use it anymore.[/quote]

Yeah, I ran across it somehow. The idea of the graded charts was neat, as well as the “spend X days at this level when you’re this age” progression. And I liked the idea of setting target levels for your age that you work up to over time.

The thing that stood out to me was the number of anecdotal reports that people were still doing this into their 80s and 90s, and that it was this routine that kept them in decent shape. Reading the Amazon reviews was interesting. Seemed strange to see that for a program that appears to have faded into oblivion.

The template’s pretty simple. I’ve been working through it just out of curiosity, in addition to real training. The “for every 75 steps you run, do 10 jumps” was a nice touch.

So I ran across this article again: Bodybuilding's Forgotten Muscle Builder

I realize it’s 5 years old and stuff.

But I had a question about this line:

I’m just curious what you currently consider better and safer?

FWIW, as backwards as it sounds, regular presses still aren’t good for my shoulders yet – they still cause tendon inflammation – whereas BTN presses are fine. Granted, I warm up with thoracic mobility work over a PVC pipe, and I limit the ROM, going to my ears with strong scapular retraction (this requires more work than pressing). I’ve basically made it into a weighted wall slide.

But I’m just curious what my options are. DB presses seem to be rough on my shoulders too, regardless of hand positioning… unless I do the same thing as I’ve been doing with the BTN presses.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
So I ran across this article again: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_overhead_press_bodybuildings_forgotten_muscle_builder

I realize it’s 5 years old and stuff.[/quote]
5 years, seriously? I’m gettin’ too old for this shit.

[quote]But I had a question about this line:

I’m just curious what you currently consider better and safer?[/quote]
Hmm. Okay, I’m gonna chalk this up as a belief I once had which I’ve come to disagree with, to a point.

Have you checked your elbow position during the militaries? As in, are they pointed more frontwards/closer to 11 and 1 or more sideways/closer to 9 and 3? I’m wondering if keeping your arms on a more lateral upper arm position keeps everything else in line, and letting them drift forward (even if “should be” a more stable pressing position) is causing an issue.

Other than that, there’s always the option of just dropping presses from your shoulder training at least until you’re shoulders are closer to 100% healthy. I know that Meadows and Mighty Stu both prefer to keep pressing to a minimum, with Meadows only using them infrequently and Stu putting them as one of the last exercises of the session (after pre-exhausting with all sorts of laterals).

Stu also likes reverse-grip militaries instead of standard. Even with his torn labrum he was able to do them. Basically using a supinated/curl grip (my biceps actually ended up crazy-sore the first time I trained shoulders with him). Grip width might end up a little closer than your traditional military and it is a bit more front delt-dominant, but it might be something to play around with.

9 and 3 is fine, but pretty much everything from 9:30 and 2:30 and in will usually hurt a few hours later. It actually seems to be related to scapular protraction more than anything. A hard retraction with lateral raises can feel fine (once I fiddle with the hand rotation a bit), but if I let up on that, I can feel the impingement.

I dropped all pressing for a long while, but that actually didn’t help at all. The main problem seems to be less due to anything in the gym, but more postural. How I sit at my desk; how I sit in the car; how I sleep.

What I have found that’s helped though is a band pullapart series from the EliteFTS site. David Allen was the author. It was the band wall slides at the end that got me thinking the limited-ROM BTN press might help (and it has). And then more recently, just focusing on close-grip supinated lat pulldowns has made some changes in my posture that keep me from re-irritating things.

I’ll give those reverse-grip militaries a shot; I hadn’t thought about that, and it seems to feel fine unweighted.

So what are your current thoughts on BTN pressing? I mean, there was a long string of authors that held the “behind-the-neck pressing is the absolute best thing you can do for the shoulder girdle” line of thought.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I dropped all pressing for a long while, but that actually didn’t help at all. The main problem seems to be less due to anything in the gym, but more postural. How I sit at my desk; how I sit in the car; how I sleep.[/quote]
Gotcha, and that makes sense. 168 hours in the week, maybe 6 or 7 of them are spent training, the rest of the time we’re either helping or hurting posture with more “passive” methods like sitting, sleeping, whatever.

Interesting series. I hadn’t seen it before, but the movements are pretty straight-forward. Pullaparts and external rotations will work to strengthen all the little shoulder stabilizer stuff (rotator cuff/SITS muscles, low traps, etc.).

Not sure I’ve swung to that other side of the spectrum, but I have come to think that they’re like most big barbell exercises - they should be avoided by people whose pre-existing conditions present issues during the full ROM of loaded movement, but can certainly be used as part of a well-designed plan by people healthy and mobile enough to perform them. Just like back squats, Romanian deadlifts, or flat benching.

In the article, Dr. Clay Hyght had a very negative point of view on BTN work. He’s an experienced chiropractor and bodybuilder, so his opinion does carry a good deal of weight (hardy har har). But I do still believe that, for an otherwise-healthy lifter, BTN pressing is a valid option as long the ROM, volume, and load used is proportional to the lifter’s ability.

I wouldn’t take an overweight beginner and drop them into deep ATG squats with 135 pounds on their first session. We’d work up to it. And I wouldn’t take someone with iffy shoulders and have them do 95-pound Klokov presses right off the bat. But that could be one eventual progression.

A while ago, I was looking for a good bang-for-the-buck triceps exercise and decided to dust off this classic. California extensions. Figured I’d grab a quick video to share with the gang.

TC actually wrote about them wayyyyyyy back when:

It’s basically a close-grip press on the concentric, a lying french press on the eccentric, and a bent-arm pullover to transition back into pressing position. That pullover part with the shoulder flexion/extension is really key to activating the long head of the tris.

Not trying to turn this into an exercise video library, but I just posted this in the July Pic/Video Check-in Thread and figured I’d toss it here too.

For Claudan. :wink:

Nothing special, but I was meaning to catch this on video anyhow. A tweaked version of the basic farmer’s walk, deliberately exaggerating each step for increased calf work. You end up going a bit lighter than a “regular” farmer’s, but you can still push the distance.

The ROM of calf flexion ends up being more than a normal step but less than a full (contract and stretch) raise on a calf machine. I’ve really become a fan of relatively-heavy, flatfooted/no super-deep stretch calf work.