China Reaches the Moon

Happened last week, I’m absolutely shocked nobody here has said anything yet. In my opinion it has vast ramifications for the future.

Discuss. This is a huge development.

Okay. At what point does China get their “developing” nation status pulled. If you can go to the moon, you can play by developed nation rules.

Why do you think this matters Aragorn?

Dey all gon die anyway.

[quote]UtahIron wrote:
Okay. At what point does China get their “developing” nation status pulled. If you can go to the moon, you can play by developed nation rules.[/quote]

Meaning they can now preemptively invade other nations if their governments won’t play along with China’s political and corporate agendas? Sounds fair.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Happened last week, I’m absolutely shocked nobody here has said anything yet. In my opinion it has vast ramifications for the future.

Discuss. This is a huge development.[/quote]

I’ll repeat what I said on the other thread. Nobody has discussed this because it doesn’t sit well with the “we may have our problems but we’re still number one!!!” delusion that a lot of people are still nursing.

Like it or not, we are becoming irrelevant. We are like a fat, bloated Elvis doing shows in Vegas for coke money in a rhinestone-studded white cape, still believing we are the King, while scoffing at the rising popularity of those funny-looking Limeys from Liverpool. Not realizing that our demise on a toilet seat in the men’s room is just around the corner.

China and India are becoming more relevant. Yes, their cities are crowded and overpopulated and polluted. Yes, their governments are sprawling, Byzantine leviathans rife with corruption. Who does that sound like? Well, it sounds an awful lot like Britain in the 17th century. Right before they colonized two new continents and two old ones, creating the vastest global empire the world has ever known.

While we bicker about filibusters in congress, and go apeshit over Xbox One and Playstation 4, while we keep up with the Kardashians and the other members of the pantheon of shallow reality show personalities, while we argue incessantly over nonsense, the Chinese are continuing what Kennedy stated was our national imperative back in 1961.

The International Space Station is on its last legs. It will not live to see the next decade. The Chinese will build the next permanent orbiting space station, and the first moon base. Probably in collusion with the Russians. Space-X and Virgin Galactic flights might take VIPs to and from these stations, but the heavy construction an investment will be done not by our government, but by the governments of our erstwhile Cold War “enemies”.

I have seen the future, gentlemen. And it has a big sticker on it that says “Made In China”.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I’ll repeat what I said on the other thread. Nobody has discussed this because it doesn’t sit well with the “we may have our problems but we’re still number one!!!” delusion that a lot of people are still nursing.

Like it or not, we are becoming irrelevant. We are like a fat, bloated Elvis doing shows in Vegas for coke money in a rhinestone-studded white cape, still believing we are the King, while scoffing at the rising popularity of those funny-looking Limeys from Liverpool. Not realizing that our demise on a toilet seat in the men’s room is just around the corner.

China and India are becoming more relevant. Yes, their cities are crowded and overpopulated and polluted. Yes, their governments are sprawling, Byzantine leviathans rife with corruption. Who does that sound like? Well, it sounds an awful lot like Britain in the 17th century. Right before they colonized two new continents and two old ones, creating the vastest global empire the world has ever known.

While we bicker about filibusters in congress, and go apeshit over Xbox One and Playstation 4, while we keep up with the Kardashians and the other members of the pantheon of shallow reality show personalities, while we argue incessantly over nonsense, the Chinese are continuing what Kennedy stated was our national imperative back in 1961.

The International Space Station is on its last legs. It will not live to see the next decade. The Chinese will build the next permanent orbiting space station, and the first moon base. Probably in collusion with the Russians. Space-X and Virgin Galactic flights might take VIPs to and from these stations, but the heavy construction an investment will be done not by our government, but by the governments of our erstwhile Cold War “enemies”.

I have seen the future, gentlemen. And it has a big sticker on it that says “Made In China”.[/quote]

I agree with what you wrote.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I have seen the future, gentlemen. And it has a big sticker on it that says “Made In China”.[/quote]

Maybe. But China has pollution, poverty, over-population, and civil-liberty/freedom problems that could derail it if the masses get sick of it. And in a lot of ways they are hopelessly dependent on the U.S. These problems might be surmountable but they might not. The next 20 years or so will be interesting times, for sure.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Maybe. But China has pollution, poverty, over-population, and civil-liberty/freedom problems that could derail it if the masses get sick of it. And in a lot of ways they are hopelessly dependent on the U.S. These problems might be surmountable but they might not. The next 20 years or so will be interesting times, for sure.
[/quote]

China will prevail on their sheer size and numbers. I’m okay with it unless they start snapping up professional sports teams in this country.

Rob

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

China will prevail on their sheer size and numbers. I’m okay with it unless they start snapping up professional sports teams in this country.

Rob[/quote]

Again, maybe. I know I am starting my boy on Mandarin next year as his first-grade foreign language selection.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Rob[/quote]

Again, maybe. I know I am starting my boy on Mandarin next year as his first-grade foreign language selection.
[/quote]

Here’s a phrase in Mandarin that may come in handy over the next two decades:

Wo jiang nuli wei shiping.

It means “I will work for food.”

On the bright side, Obama has declared that NASA’s primary mission is muslim outreach, not space exploration.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Rob[/quote]

[/quote]

It means “I will work for food.”[/quote]

How do you say, “Stick em up, motherfucker, your money or your life,” in Mandarin? I’ll probably get more use out of that one.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
On the bright side, Obama has declared that NASA’s primary mission is muslim outreach, not space exploration.

[/quote]

Well, then the two biggest issues they will have to resolve are:

1: When it’s time for prayers on the moon base, which direction does one face? The direction of Mecca will be in constant flux.

2: How does one know when Ramadan begins and ends? Sighting of the crescent moon just won’t work when you are standing on its bright side.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Rob[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you say, “Stick em up, motherfucker, your money or your life,” in Mandarin? I’ll probably get more use out of that one.

[/quote]

Ju qi shao lai, gun ni mar, ni de qian huo ni de shenghuo!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Why do you think this matters Aragorn?
[/quote]

I would have posted, but Varq did such a magnificent job of elucidating my opinion that I really don’t want to try to recreate it because, well, I’ll fail miserably at being simultaneously coherent and concise lol.

We do not have the “will to power” any more. At least, not as a nation. Our politicians might, but they serve only their own interests and are shortsighted in any case. We have lost our perspective and Varq’s description of Elvis is both disgusting and true.

Possibly one of the only things Rush Limbaugh ever said that was largely unpartisan, and I’m paraphrasing “the official animal of the United States should no longer be the eagle, it should be suckling pigs on the bloated body of the sow”. Of course he had a particular meaning in mind regarding government, but it also happens to be true of the general populace’s complete and utter apathy.

Bread and circuses. Rome is immortal! Those uncivilized savages in Germania can never hope to conquer Rome. Rome’s military is too great, and its advancements too vast. The munera are commencing, let’s go get some wine and watch.

Any Firefly fans? I think any of the Mandarin phrases appearing there would be especially appropriate over the next couple decades. Here is a handy compendium.

http://web.missouri.edu/~heivilinj/Firefly/Firefly-Mandarin.pdf

Rob[/quote]

I am not ok with it, because their success directly threatens our supremacy. They are playing for top dog.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Rob[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ju qi shao lai, gun ni mar, ni de qian huo ni de shenghuo![/quote]

That is one phrase I am going to memorize.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Any Firefly fans? I think any of the Mandarin phrases appearing there would be especially appropriate over the next couple decades. Here is a handy compendium.

http://web.missouri.edu/~heivilinj/Firefly/Firefly-Mandarin.pdf[/quote]

Great show, and a very handy list.