Checking...

I’ll have to go against the grain here and post about how much I suck. I’m finally back in the western world and decided to join a gym for the length of time I’m here. Tv’s built into treadmills, climbing wall that rotates to any angle, giant hamster wheels, the works, this gym has it all except for the weird guy that stands in the showers and hands me towels and compliments back in mainland China.

But for insurance purposes i had to do an induction, as opposed to in china where they just take your money and stare at you from across the room.

Some back story; five months ago I knew I would be coming back to the UK and wanted to bulk up to give my family a surprise as I had spent a month treking around the countryside eating grubs and whatnot… Anyways, four solid months of free weights and one month of dicking around ended up with me throwing away most of my clothes because they were too small and my family freaking out becuse of how big and more healthy I looked.

So fast forward to today where I do this induction where all these electrical doodads and gizmos are attached to my body and I have to do these weird tests. I figured because I just got off being jetlagged I’d be a little lower than usual.

Fuck me. The print out comes in three colours for each statistic; bodyfat, resting heart rate, forced vital capacity all came in red, almost everything else apart from weight and came in yellow.

I should explain that green is pretty much the only good colour, yellow not so good, red, bad…

Ok so the good thing is that I’m in a position to get all dem colours to green but I had no idea I was messed up. My family has a tendancy towards diabetes and I have a pig heart - but I thougt my filling up my t-shirt (in a good way) I was moving away from those risks. I guess now I have pretty concrete goals for the rest of my time here…not just getting bigger but getting healthier , ie cardio, better diet

WTF was this drivel? Did living on rabbit food casue you to lose the ability to communicate in an intelligible manner?

[quote]TJCooker wrote:
WTF was this drivel? Did living on rabbit food casue you to lose the ability to communicate in an intelligible manner?[/quote]

Yeah, I didn’t quite understand it, either.

I think he’s one of those “don’t lift weights, it’s bad for your health” people.

Anyway, I’ll be eating waiting for the next moron to post.

Good luck scaring T-Nation readers away from weights…

Holy shit. I’m scared now.

No really…

guess i must still be jetlagged, i dont hate weights, i’m just saying working out for just appearance like i did was bad for my health. all i did was lift heavy things and eat cow sized portions but didnt do any cardio (which I thought I shouldnt do).

i also moved away from the redbull…sorry for the convoluted posts…I’ve hopefully cleaned them up - but guys’s c’mon, chillax, I screwed up, not the weights. If you didnt like my post just ignore it

How can it be bad for health?

I think it has more to do with your diet habits and family history than the way you’ve been lifting weights.

Lifting weights is a healthy activity.

There has been recent research on the artery-hardening effects of too much straining and holding of breath during lifting.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
There has been recent research on the artery-hardening effects of too much straining and holding of breath during lifting.[/quote]

BS. Give us a link to this supposed research. How is any activity which increases circulation going to be the sole cause of artery hardening? I could see a slight connection if the BB only ever ate extremely fatty red meat, but still.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
There has been recent research on the artery-hardening effects of too much straining and holding of breath during lifting.[/quote]

Hahahahahaha. Good one. That was funny.

How about straining while taking a shit? Is there any recent research on that?

DB

Dude.

SWIM.

steelicarus,

What machine is this? Was this at a doctor’s office? Or was this some scam at the gym designed to tell you that you need to maintain your membership dues and follow their advice or you will die soon?

And besides–since I’m playing devil’s advocate and it can go both ways–just because you filled up your t-shirt more doesn’t mean you put on LBM. Did you lift weights, eat a lot, largely increase your BF and neglect any endurance/cardio?

Your profile says you weigh 154 Pounds (70 kgs). Is this accurate?

I don’t understand. Did this machine say you were carrying too much bodyfat?

For optimum health you should lift and do some “cardio”.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

How about straining while taking a shit? Is there any recent research on that?

DB
[/quote]

Oh man, I’m dead if that’s the case.

thanks knewsom, tshaw and zap, I appreciate the constructive replies. I figured all i needed to do was lock myself up with free weights and eat whole bovines, hooves and all. I should have done some swimming (now got a heated pool as opposed to a lake filled with grass snakes) and more variety in my diet - I lived in china where there wasnt really a wide variety of ‘allowed foods’.

As for the gym, they gave me this weird thing that looked like an xbox 360 controller to measure my bodyfat and strapped a heart rate monitor to my chest - first time ive had the opportunity to use these things. I did neglect endurance and cardio but that was because I was a skinny fucker.

I hate the idea of running on a treadmill, apart from swimming (which i love thanks knewsom) is there anything else I could do?

cheers again!

yeah my stats are right 178 cm and 70 kg, is that not good?

I also hate running on a treadmill.

Run outside at a fast pace. Don’t jog.
You don’t have to sprint but make sure you keep a good pace.

Walk outside with a weighted backpack.

Jump rope for 3 to 5 minutes. Do some push ups, pull ups, whatever bodyweight exercise you like and repeat for at least 3 sets.

Get a bike and ride outside.

These are just some of the things I find preferable to indoor cardio machines.

Do at least 2 or 3 these a week.

[quote]steelicarus wrote:

yeah my stats are right 178 cm and 70 kg, is that not good?[/quote]

Just not very big. I know some of the big guys fall into the trap of focusing only on adding muscle and strength and end up putting on too much fat.

At your size I don’t think you fit that description.

Either way adding a couple “cardio” workouts a week will help your overall health.

thanks zap. i like the idea of the weighted backpack :smiley: