Bwhitwell: How Do You Train and Eat?

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
any recent pics? it would be interesting see how your physique has matured since the 80’s. [/quote]
Not too impressive I know. I have been really working on MP as this is one pressing movement I can do without any pain. I have watched your video of your 315 MP several hundred times for motivation and trying to pick up on your technique.

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
You have one of the finest physiques on these forums. As one member has said, you sell yourself short, and I’m sure many here would agree. And I;m sure I’m not the only one who is curious how you train and eat, etc.

[/quote]

very balanced,size and shape at top![/quote]
Thanks. I have always tried to maintain some balance in all of my bodyparts, some grow easy,(arms), some not so easy, (hamstrings,delt and back width, and upper chest). I do very little isolation moves now and really trying to improve delt and upper back size. I have noticed in pics of older BBs that were once quite developed in the younger years seem to have the most atrophy in their delts and upper back. Arms and legs seem to keep their size fairly easy in my old age.

As you can see, maintaining your 20s body into your 40s and 50s is not so easy. Adult responsibilities cut into your training and recovery quite abit, not to mention those little nagging injuries you had in your 20s will turn into pain that will cause you to be very picky in exercise selection. The above pic is at a weight of 170lbs at 5’6.5. It is really hard to take a pic of yourself while flexing, I don’t know how DebraD does it:). I think I have shrunk a half inch in height. I can still do some movements with decent weight, but I have to really stay focused on form. I am currently trying to overeat to put on some size, and then lean out in the spring.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Not too impressive I know…[/quote]

WTF!!! are you high?!?! lol

Beast mode! You look bad ass! You have an insane biceps peak.

Have you had someone like BushidoBadBoy look at your injuries etc?

What issues do you have exactly?

When you say that you can only do MP pain-free as far as heavy pressing goes… What is your setup and technique like on Bench/Incline etc? Elitefts has some great video series’ by Dave Tate on these subjects (go easier on the arch of course)… I can’t bench the regular bodybuilding way at all.

If you feed us enough info, might be that we can help you improve your training experience again some…

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

any recent pics? it would be interesting see how your physique has matured since the 80’s. [/quote]
Not too impressive I know. I have been really working on MP as this is one pressing movement I can do without any pain. I have watched your video of your 315 MP several hundred times for motivation and trying to pick up on your technique.[/quote]

you are being wayyy too modest. i think you look awesome. you have a lean, powerful physique.

Don’t look to me for over head pressing technique ques. I’m not nearly as good at them as i wish i were.

if you are looking to increase your 1 RM on overhead pressing i can tell you what i’ve done to get it where it is now.

• I take in a deep breath before i unrack and don’t exhale until i finished the rep. breathing between unracking and pressing will cause you to lose tightness and leverage.

• make sure to have the heel of the hand directly under the bar. most people allow the bar to roll back to the fingers when they press. this places you in a position of poor leverage. i use a thumbless grip and rest the bar right on the edge of the hand so that the bar is directly over the forearm bones.

-take a fairly narrow grip. at first this will seem awkward but i find that it allows me to keep the elbows and forearms directly under the bar and therefore more leverage from the starting position.

-don’t look forward into the mirror. when i unrack, i take a fairly wide stance for support and then i arch my back and look up. when i do that it places me in a sort of incline press position allowing me to use some upper chest. as we know, more muscle groups equate to bigger numbers.

-lastly, don’t press up but back over the head. pressing straight up is mostly triceps. pressing up and back over the head incorporates more muscle groups.

again, awesome physique. i respect you for walking the walk hoss. not many ever do.

BW,

Man, once again you sell yourself short. You look fantastic! Even at 170 lbs you’re STILL better than 95% of the posters on these forums, and that includes the ones over 200 lbs. You’re still lean and hard, and at your age that’s really something.

Like you, I lost about an inch in height since my 20’s. I think that’s normal compression for someone who spends time under heavy barbells. And like you, I’m now (at age 48) very limited as to what exercises I can do without joint pain.

EDIT: It’s more like 99% of posters on these forums.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

Not too impressive I know. I have been really working on MP as this is one pressing movement I can do without any pain. I have watched your video of your 315 MP several hundred times for motivation and trying to pick up on your technique.[/quote]

you are being wayyy too modest. i think you look awesome. you have a lean, powerful physique.

Don’t look to me for over head pressing technique ques. I’m not nearly as good at them as i wish i were.

if you are looking to increase your 1 RM on overhead pressing i can tell you what i’ve done to get it where it is now.

• I take in a deep breath before i unrack and don’t exhale until i finished the rep. breathing between unracking and pressing will cause you to lose tightness and leverage.

• make sure to have the heel of the hand directly under the bar. most people allow the bar to roll back to the fingers when they press. this places you in a position of poor leverage. i use a thumbless grip and rest the bar right on the edge of the hand so that the bar is directly over the forearm bones.

-take a fairly narrow grip. at first this will seem awkward but i find that it allows me to keep the elbows and forearms directly under the bar and therefore more leverage from the starting position.

-don’t look forward into the mirror. when i unrack, i take a fairly wide stance for support and then i arch my back and look up. when i do that it places me in a sort of incline press position allowing me to use some upper chest. as we know, more muscle groups equate to bigger numbers.

-lastly, don’t press up but back over the head. pressing straight up is mostly triceps. pressing up and back over the head incorporates more muscle groups.

again, awesome physique. i respect you for walking the walk hoss. not many ever do.

bwhitwell,

How is your health at age 49? I saw you wrote the only med you take is Aleve but do you have any health issues? What does your kidney health look like after all those years of being on a high protein diet?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Not too impressive I know…[/quote]

WTF!!! are you high?!?! lol

Beast mode! You look bad ass! You have an insane biceps peak.[/quote]

Both bi heads showing too… Boyer who? :slight_smile:

I have pretty much ruled out rotator cuff problems since I can go pretty heavy on MP,dips, and close grip bench( only when at a slight decline). I have this problem for years with flat bench press, started with wide elbow setup, eventually started with tucked elbows. I recently started thinking it is bicep tendonitis since in Dec. I had been doing chins (palms facing me) and worked up to 80lbs . It didn’t hurt that day, but the next day it was hurting in the same area as when I did BP. I can do heavy rows without any problems, Curls aggravate it. I haven’t been to any professionals since I have to go through the Family Practice doc first to get a referral and I already know that he will say “quit lifting”. I have tried stopping an inch or so above my chest and that is better, but still irritates it. MP from my clavicles is pain free! Good thing since I want to work on delt size. DB press is fine until I get up to 100s, I can’t really get into a good setup after I lay back on my own.I don’t think the DBs go as low as a bar does. I forgot to say that is only my right shoulder, and it seems to be slightly rotated medially when relaxed- maybe it is something with my rotator cuff?

I don’t think you need a referral for someone like BBB… But he lives in Tealand, so there’s an ocean between you guys… He might know someone in the U.S. though… The “quit lifting” response is common for Docs who don’t really know how to get people back on track…

If BBB sees this, maybe he’ll help out…

Can you tell me where exactly it hurts? Front delt area? How’s it feel?

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

again, awesome physique. i respect you for walking the walk hoss. not many ever do. [/quote]
Thanks for the advice, your explanation is right out of the many pressing articles from “The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban” website. Lots of respect for your thread.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

again, awesome physique. i respect you for walking the walk hoss. not many ever do. [/quote]
Thanks for the advice, your explanation is right out of the many pressing articles from “The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban” website. Lots of respect for your thread.[/quote]

that’s interesting… i’ve never even heard of that website. i’ll have to check it out. all of these tips came from trial and error. i don’t have much going for me but i do have a nack for “feeling” a movement and figuring out how to fix it.

I appreciate the kind words.

I had a similiar bodybuilding experience as you did. I competed for many years as well. I won my weight/height class and overall in my first three comps. i continued to compete for a few more years and then beat out a few monsters and realized that I did what i set out to do in bodybuilding. I just stopped competing at that point. After a few years in limbo i switched to powerlifting and am now sowing my wild oats at that.

have you thought about hitting the stage again?? i bet you could clean up in the master’s division.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
bwhitwell,

How is your health at age 49? I saw you wrote the only med you take is Aleve but do you have any health issues? What does your kidney health look like after all those years of being on a high protein diet?[/quote]
I had inguinal hernia repair surgery 2 yrs ago and all my labs- BUN,creatinine,HDL,LDL, even test levels were all normal. Never had high blood pressure . I don’t think it is genetic because I am 1 of 5 siblings and all my brothers & sister are on blood pressure and cholesterol meds.I have worked in intensive care units for 25+ years and have never seen someone in renal failure due to a high protein diet, but people with renal insufficiency or failure have to be on a low protein diet. It is the same with salt, it does not cause renal problems but exacerbates renal failure.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I don’t think you need a referral for someone like BBB… But he lives in Tealand, so there’s an ocean between you guys… He might know someone in the U.S. though… The “quit lifting” response is common for Docs who don’t really know how to get people back on track…

If BBB sees this, maybe he’ll help out…

Can you tell me where exactly it hurts? Front delt area? How’s it feel?

[/quote]
Yes, front delt. Any time my shoulder is rolled forward, exercising or typing on a keyboard, it hurts. Rolled back and proper posture, it feels better. I think that is why dips and OHP is pain free, the weight pushes my shoulders back and chest forward. Impingement? I have tried stretching and even bought the shoulder horn with improvement, but while I stretched and used the horn, I also did light weights 10x10. So was it the rehab or the light weight? Definitely got much leaner with 10x10, but not bigger.If I have to settle with lighter weights, which is what I have for the past few years, I"ll just deal with it. I just started to lift heavier since Sept. or so .

Yeah I was going to ask where in Georgia you are, since I know some people in Chamblee, Atlanta and John’s Creek (Duluth).

By the way, thanks for taking the time to post bwhitwell.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

Not too impressive I know.[/quote]

Youre serious?

Sir your physique is incredible.

That’d be amazing to look like that at once in my life. But to maintain that into your current age? Great work man.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Yeah I was going to ask where in Georgia you are, since I know some people in Chamblee, Atlanta and John’s Creek (Duluth).

By the way, thanks for taking the time to post bwhitwell.[/quote]
I live just north of Columbus,GA.