Big Rob Squats 1000 Raw

That looked so easy…

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
High, squat was high. Wish Rob would compete in another fed that actually enforces the rules as they’re written – he’s clearly strong enough to squat some crazy weight according the rules of the sport. It is too bad that top talents choose to lift in the SPF, which is passing more ridiculous squat than the highPA ever did.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? He hit at least 2" below parallel, if not more. This was a 100% good squat.

Luke[/quote]

I’ve competed for 10+ years in a variety of federations, raw, single ply and multiply. That squat was high.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
High, squat was high. Wish Rob would compete in another fed that actually enforces the rules as they’re written – he’s clearly strong enough to squat some crazy weight according the rules of the sport. It is too bad that top talents choose to lift in the SPF, which is passing more ridiculous squat than the highPA ever did.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? He hit at least 2" below parallel, if not more. This was a 100% good squat.

Luke[/quote]

I’ve competed for 10+ years in a variety of federations, raw, single ply and multiply. That squat was high.
[/quote]

And you’ve compete at 450 pounds with a gut like that?

judging from where his gut meets his thigh it was high?

His size makes it hard to tell.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Luke[/quote]

[/quote]

His size makes it hard to tell.[/quote]

No, thankfully I’m not 450 pounds. The bottom of his leg doesn’t even break parallel. If it is possible for that to happen and for the top of his leg at the hip to be lower than his knee, then I suppose he could have hit the proper depth. I just can’t imagine a situation in which the bottom of someone’s leg doesn’t even hit parallel and they’re at the right depth, no matter the size of the lifter. I’d love to see a video of this from the side, but we won’t because the SPF doesn’t allow squat videos to be shot from the side.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Luke[/quote]

[/quote]

No, thankfully I’m not 450 pounds. The bottom of his leg doesn’t even break parallel. If it is possible for that to happen and for the top of his leg at the hip to be lower than his knee, then I suppose he could have hit the proper depth. I just can’t imagine a situation in which the bottom of someone’s leg doesn’t even hit parallel and they’re at the right depth, no matter the size of the lifter. I’d love to see a video of this from the side, but we won’t because the SPF doesn’t allow squat videos to be shot from the side.[/quote]

Were any of those 10 years in a variety of federations spent in the side judge’s chair at this particular meet?

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Luke[/quote]

[/quote]

No, thankfully I’m not 450 pounds. The bottom of his leg doesn’t even break parallel. If it is possible for that to happen and for the top of his leg at the hip to be lower than his knee, then I suppose he could have hit the proper depth. I just can’t imagine a situation in which the bottom of someone’s leg doesn’t even hit parallel and they’re at the right depth, no matter the size of the lifter. I’d love to see a video of this from the side, but we won’t because the SPF doesn’t allow squat videos to be shot from the side.[/quote]

I’m not arguing either way. I’m just saying it’s tough to tell with the camera angle and the massive amount of bulk. But it did look like the bottom of the leg went well below parallel.

I do agree that the way the SPF rule is written (top of the thigh below the knee) it looks high, but I don’t think it was all that high. But where is the top of his knee and where is his thigh? He’s so big it all kinda meshes together.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Luke[/quote]

[/quote]

Were any of those 10 years in a variety of federations spent in the side judge’s chair at this particular meet?

[/quote]

Nope. But that doesn’t mean as a competitor and fan of the sport I can’t have an opinion on the depth of his squat.

[quote]lil power wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
FUUUUUUUUUUCK…GO ROB!!

Was that Donnie Thompson in the red t- shirt at the end?[/quote]

lol, nope that was one of his other training partners, who also squatted 920 single ply.

I really hope this PL forum is just a little more mature than the others…[/quote]

Thanks L.P. Ditto on the maturity…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
[/quote]

This sums it all up. You want to know why I don’t think it was high? Because he didn’t get redlighted.

He went to the depth that was necessary for a squat to pass in this particular federation.

The federation he lifted in does not allow filming from the side? Now, that’s a complete joke.

Big guys can squat deep if they want to, so why not just do it?

[quote]stallion wrote:
The federation he lifted in does not allow filming from the side? Now, that’s a complete joke.

[/quote]

Are you really comparing a 275 lb lifter to someone who weighs upwards of 420 lbs?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]stallion wrote:

[/quote]

Are you really comparing a 275 lb lifter to someone who weighs upwards of 420 lbs?[/quote]

YESSSSSSSSS!!!1111!1!1111!!!111

KERKL ABEFKLAERKL RWKLGREAKLFRKLARVKLARVKLRWKLJETJKL RST

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
[/quote]

This sums it all up. You want to know why I don’t think it was high? Because he didn’t get redlighted.

He went to the depth that was necessary for a squat to pass in this particular federation.[/quote]

Which passes squats that are high by the definition in its rule book.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
[/quote]

He went to the depth that was necessary for a squat to pass in this particular federation.[/quote]

Which passes squats that are high by the definition in its rule book.[/quote]

Perhaps they should change the rule book then.

Here’s some input from someone who was there:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/spf-ironman-recap/

[quote]stallion wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, no videos shot from the side on squats at SPF meets.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14794

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
[/quote]

Which passes squats that are high by the definition in its rule book.[/quote]

Perhaps they should change the rule book then.

Here’s some input from someone who was there:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/spf-ironman-recap/

Well, we can agree on one thing – they should change the rule book to match the reality of the lifts that get white lights. Of course, that would open up another can of worms regarding whether lifts in the SPF should count towards the “all time” records, which aren’t official of course.

Squat was fine. Did not look high at all. Hip hits knee level, goes up: Pass.

I personally can’t tell from that video.

The rule book clearly specifies the top of the thigh (at the crease of the hip). The judges at this meet, who had an infinitely better vantage point from the side and 3 feet away than any anonymous whining troll with a cell phone video, came to the consensus that the lift was performed by the standards set forth in the rule book.

Now, if you have a problem with that, go take the test and be a judge, otherwise, find better things to do with your time than whining about what other people did in our obscure, ultimately insignificant hobby sport.

The SPF doesn’t allow taping from the side because they feel that the credibility of their officiating is more important than feeding the appetites of insatiable forum trolls. The reality is that the majority of the online complaining about lifts performed in multiply feds comes from people who do not lift in, support, or even actively spectate multiply powerlifting and would find fault with lifts in whatever way possible.

In an environment where the line between judging and spectating has become impossibly blurred (because on the internet, everyone thinks their opinion fucking matters), removing the ability of the online viewer to accurately make a judgment call is an attempt to sharpen the distinction between those who are qualified to make a real judgment on a lift and those who enjoy bitching for the sake of bitching.

Nobody’s “whining” about his depth, folks are just stating opinions about whether it was high or not. Sports fans across the globe argue about calls officials make or don’t make. It is part of being a fan. Refusing to allow taping from the side on squats is silly and if SPF judging could stand up to even minimal scrutiny, they’d allow it. Perhaps if enough people question the credibility of the judging in these goofy feds, the top talents (like Rob) will do meets in federations that actually enforce the rules are they are written. That’s probably very unlikely, but one can always hope.