Best Shoes for Squatting In?

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
I dont believe a flat sole to be best for your joints.

Look into Nike Shox. They have great cushioning and get some custom made orthotics. Over time, your knees will thank you.[/quote]

not bashin ya…could you give me your opinion on why you prefer shox, etc opposed to a flat soled shoe for lifting purposes such as squat/deads? I would understand the joint thing if you were buying a shoe for cross country but I don’t see how a shoe can affect joints when weightlifting, unless the shoe was putting your feet or posture at a bad angle?

I prefer the flat soled shoe when lifting because I feel it is more stable. As others stated they said that the shox etc will give a sort of cushion when lifting causing the foot to move during the lift. You also get zero drive from the heel with a cross-trainer compared to a flat soled shoe like chuck taylors. I was just wondering your opinion, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but would like to know the method to your madness? lol

Gerdy

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:

Look into Nike Shox. They have great cushioning and get some custom made orthotics. Over time, your knees will thank you.

not bashin ya…could you give me your opinion on why you prefer shox, etc opposed to a flat soled shoe for lifting purposes such as squat/deads? I would understand the joint thing if you were buying a shoe for cross country but I don’t see how a shoe can affect joints when weightlifting, unless the shoe was putting your feet or posture at a bad angle? I prefer the flat soled shoe when lifting because I feel it is more stable. As others stated they said that the shox etc will give a sort of cushion when lifting causing the foot to move during the lift. You also get zero drive from the heel with a cross-trainer compared to a flat soled shoe like chuck taylors. I was just wondering your opinion, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but would like to know the method to your madness? lol

Gerdy[/quote]

It all has to do with posture. In my case I have flat feet. I have no arch whatsoever. My arch is critical for proper training. When I dont wear my orthotics, the inside of knees ache to no end. After a few days, my low back will get sore, then my hips when I exercise and lastly my ankles. The flatter your feet, the worse your posture is. And we all know how important posture is.

When you add poor posture to exercise, you put your body into an “unnatural” position. Now some people are ok working out with flat feet, but others (like myself) arent so lucky. With proper posture, I’m in a more mechanically sound and stronger position to lift weights. This keeps me stronger and injury free. The difference in my squat with orthotics and without is like night and day.

Now with the Shox, I’ve noticed they give me more of a “spring” when I squat. I feel a more secure footing when I squat and do other standing exercises as well. I think of them as squatting/stabilizing shoes. I dont use my shox when I run mind you. I use regular cross trainers with orthotics when I do run.

I hope this makes sense…lol

I SWEAR by high top chucks when I squat and barefoot when I deadlift…I try to barefoot as much as possible, but sometimes I get paranoid and I don’t want to get kicked out of a gym.

I sport high top chucks or low top slip on vans.

I’d like to try squatting barefoot but most gyms wouldn’t allow it.

Adidas Superstars, Chucks, etc. Wear them in and out of the gym.

I have Nike Frees. I think High Top Chuck Taylors are still the choice shoe to squat in. Both are the same but chucks are cheaper. Just don’t wear them out of the gym. Keep them crispy!

[quote]PhilD wrote:
What are the best shoes for squatting in? i currently squat in running shoes which seem ok but i also have a pair of Onitsuka Tigers which may be better for squat as they have a pretty flat thin sole.
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=35529
Opinions?[/quote]

Converse Chuck Taylor did work for me. Also, I used to lift for years wearing Vans skate shoes, but for some reason I feel the floor much better with Converse.

The new under armor* shoes that come out today.

I haven’t tried them yet but I will pick up a pair today.

*disclosure I own stock in the company

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I sport high top chucks or low top slip on vans.

I’d like to try squatting barefoot but most gyms wouldn’t allow it.[/quote]

I’ve been deadlifting barefoot for the past few weeks, an no one seems to mind, a trainer was even training a client nearby me today and didn’t say a word about my lack of shoes while deadlifting.

Hm, tomorrow is squat day and I just might go for it.

I know i’ve given up on bodybuilding but flat soles definitely.

[quote]kaeosali wrote:

*disclosure I own stock in the company[/quote]

Got a link to them? The ones I see on their website all have heel raises.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:

Look into Nike Shox. They have great cushioning and get some custom made orthotics. Over time, your knees will thank you.

not bashin ya…could you give me your opinion on why you prefer shox, etc opposed to a flat soled shoe for lifting purposes such as squat/deads? I would understand the joint thing if you were buying a shoe for cross country but I don’t see how a shoe can affect joints when weightlifting, unless the shoe was putting your feet or posture at a bad angle? I prefer the flat soled shoe when lifting because I feel it is more stable. As others stated they said that the shox etc will give a sort of cushion when lifting causing the foot to move during the lift. You also get zero drive from the heel with a cross-trainer compared to a flat soled shoe like chuck taylors. I was just wondering your opinion, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but would like to know the method to your madness? lol

Gerdy

It all has to do with posture. In my case I have flat feet. I have no arch whatsoever. My arch is critical for proper training. When I dont wear my orthotics, the inside of knees ache to no end. After a few days, my low back will get sore, then my hips when I exercise and lastly my ankles. The flatter your feet, the worse your posture is. And we all know how important posture is.

When you add poor posture to exercise, you put your body into an “unnatural” position. Now some people are ok working out with flat feet, but others (like myself) arent so lucky. With proper posture, I’m in a more mechanically sound and stronger position to lift weights. This keeps me stronger and injury free. The difference in my squat with orthotics and without is like night and day.

Now with the Shox, I’ve noticed they give me more of a “spring” when I squat. I feel a more secure footing when I squat and do other standing exercises as well. I think of them as squatting/stabilizing shoes. I dont use my shox when I run mind you. I use regular cross trainers with orthotics when I do run.

I hope this makes sense…lol

[/quote]

makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Thats what I was kinda getting at. For others; I prefer a flat soled show because I feel more stable and can get a drive when squatting/deadlifting. jdrannin1 prefers the trainers and he feels more stable with them and gets more drive with them.

Anybody see where I am going with this?

I have always been told by bodybuilders and powerlifters to use flat soled shoes when lifting and I know many olympic lifters and high level powerlifters do the same. What I am asing is does anybody have any research or know of anything that states that flat soled shoes will increase your lifts or prevent injury, or is it all a matter of preference?

Gerdy

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
kaeosali wrote:

*disclosure I own stock in the company

Got a link to them? The ones I see on their website all have heel raises.[/quote]

I’d like to see the link as well.

Gerdy

*bump

…just wondering if anybody has a link to those under armor shoes?

and any scientific research stating what kind of shoe is best?

Gerdy

I feel I should amend my previous statement, as I came up with a reason not to squat in bare feet. Feet sweat, and slippery feet + big weights is probably bad. Socks wouldn’t be much better. Maybe chalk would help? It’d be kinda weird though, and you might leave footprints.

So, FiveFingers are probably the best of both worlds: natural stance with a little traction on the bottom.

Why would you be squatting (or lifting anything heavy) on a floor prone to slippage?

I was thinking about my university’s gym.

The power racks have laminated wood flooring, like a basketball court. The actual floor is some sort of textured linoleum-like material. I wouldn’t be comfortable with wet feet on either.

Now that you bring it up, those seem like particularly poor flooring choices, on concrete, slippage isn’t really an issue. One more reason I’ll be happy to have a power rack in my garage.

BTW, nice avatar. I love that show.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
I was thinking about my university’s gym.

The power racks have laminated wood flooring, like a basketball court. The actual floor is some sort of textured linoleum-like material. I wouldn’t be comfortable with wet feet on either.

Now that you bring it up, those seem like particularly poor flooring choices, on concrete, slippage isn’t really an issue. One more reason I’ll be happy to have a power rack in my garage.

BTW, nice avatar. I love that show.[/quote]

It actually sounds like you university has a nice gym. The wood flooring is for oly lifts.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

*bump

…just wondering if anybody has a link to those under armor shoes?

and any scientific research stating what kind of shoe is best?

Gerdy[/quote]

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/footwear/trainers/pid1096003?sid=footwear_swf_image_1096003

I bought all three pairs. Played some basketball in the “Powers” today. I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t be good for squatting in it. Stable, ankle support, flat sole, and desinged for vertical jump training.