Best Shoes for Squatting In?

[quote]Dan M wrote:
If you’re going to lift in the Frees, I’d recommend you get the Trainer or Gym version, not the Running version (although the bottom is thinner, at least for the 3.0). The running shoe provides no lateral support, so my feet actually tend to slide out off the side of the sole (I hope that makes sense). It’s really hard to maintain traction for, say, sumo deadlifts.

[/quote]

I give the same recommendation. The trainer versions are great for squatting due to the extra lateral support and wider soles, but I’m experiencing the same foot-slide problem with the running Frees. This made me kick them off and go barefoot during my last squat session, and I must say I liked the experience a lot.

Converse Chucks for the win. About 35 bucks, super comfortable, firm sole, no heel, rock on.

I found my squat numbers went up about 10% when I switched from a cross trainer w/ a big ass heel to those.

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
Just kick off the trainers and wear the socks…

Joe[/quote]

lol I do this with calves and people always look at me funny…then I shoot them a stare and they think I’m “roid-ragin” , then they leave and probably come back when it’s safe. lol sarcasm I really do calves w/o shoes tho. lol

Gerdy

Since I like to raise my heels, I now wear weightlifting shoes. They are very stiff and dont bend it I put them up on a board.

When I used to squat flat-footed I actually prefered going without my shoes (just socks).

[quote]Dan M wrote:

If you’re going to lift in the Frees, I’d recommend you get the Trainer or Gym version, not the Running version (although the bottom is thinner, at least for the 3.0). The running shoe provides no lateral support, so my feet actually tend to slide out off the side of the sole (I hope that makes sense). It’s really hard to maintain traction for, say, sumo deadlifts.
[/quote]
I would’ve agreed at first, but then I sprained my ankle and decided to start training in unsupportive shoes. I actually feel more comfortable deadlifting and squatting in my 3.0’s than I do in my chucks. I deadlift sumo, and I’m not exactly pulling big numbers (425), but I feel stronger in the nikes.

just get a regular pair of gym shoes thats comfortable; i think your putting to much thought in this…

[quote]ds77 wrote:
just get a regular pair of gym shoes thats comfortable; i think your putting to much thought in this…[/quote]

what to you consider a regular pair of gym shoes?

Gerdy

hey gerdy,

ive always used a cross training gym shoe for myself… it has a wide sole and i have wide feet so that makes it comfortable. Ive notice that some running shoes also work for me; but many running shoes have narrow soles – the ones with narrow soles usually dont work well for me as they dont give support to all of my foot- but some do - it just depends on the fit.

I must say i never gave much thought to what shoe i wore as far as when workingout; other than i like it to be comforatble.

[quote]ds77 wrote:
hey gerdy,

ive always used a cross training gym shoe for myself… it has a wide sole and i have wide feet so that makes it comfortable. Ive notice that some running shoes also work for me; but many running shoes have narrow soles – the ones with narrow soles usually dont work well for me as they dont give support to all of my foot- but some do - it just depends on the fit.

I must say i never gave much thought to what shoe i wore as far as when workingout; other than i like it to be comforatble.[/quote]

Ya it doesn’t sound normal to put much thought into what shoes you wear until you actually do. lol I found that when using converse/my slippers lol that squatting feels better in general and I can use more weight than with cross trainers. So anytime you can add weight to your lifts, whether it be shoes or anything I’d say it’s good to try different things out.

Gerdy

[quote]ds77 wrote:
just get a regular pair of gym shoes thats comfortable; i think your putting to much thought in this…[/quote]

I own 5 different pairs of shoes for lifting, is that to much?

[quote]Kalle wrote:
ds77 wrote:
just get a regular pair of gym shoes thats comfortable; i think your putting to much thought in this…

I own 5 different pairs of shoes for lifting, is that to much?[/quote]

when it comes to my gymwear I don’t think there is a such thing as “too much”. lol

Gerdy

Although I have liked using chuck taylors in the past for some time, I have found that I like the “no shoe” approach much better. Especially for my deadlifts and squats. I still wear shoes for bench press (usually etnies).

i wear a pair of slippers…lol that was until my new gym prohibits that. but when i train at home, i still wear slippers lol

A good squat shoe is not necessarily a good deadlift shoe. I like wrestling shoes for the DL but they are not ideal for squatting. Chucks are the classic answer for squatting. I have been wearing my magnum boots recently too. Kind of depends how you squat too.

[quote]shffl wrote:
i wear a pair of slippers…lol that was until my new gym prohibits that. but when i train at home, i still wear slippers lol[/quote]

If my gym gives me shit for my shoes I will tell them that they need to take the Fckin televisions out of the weight room so that I don’t have to kill some distracted motherfckers who are sitting on the bench or in the power rack watching the latest sportscenter when I’m trying to train.

sorry about the rant…one more month and I will be back in Koloseum gym in Fullerton. The gym ranks up there with metroflex etc. for being a little on the hardcore side. Hopefully I make it w/o killing somebody as stated above…lol

Gerdy

for squats i particularly like to wear army boots, good solid and sturdy soles with the bonus of protecting your feet should something come crashing down on them! Just makes me feel more stable and planted than trainers ever do.

I generally prefer wearing boots to trainers most of the time anyway, in the gym or otherwise.

[quote]ds77 wrote:
hey gerdy,

I must say i never gave much thought to what shoe i wore as far as when workingout; other than i like it to be comforatble.[/quote]

Your average running shoe or cross-trainer has some sort of ‘squishy’ heel, usually made of foam or those stupid shock post things. The problem is that such materials exhibit elastic deformation*: your foot will tend to move slightly in the shoe each time it deforms, changing the way that it deforms on the next rep. Additionally, the ‘squishy’ heel actually absorbs some of the force when you drive your heels into the ground on the way up.

Is it a big deal for people who don’t compete in powerlifting? Maybe not: its not clear if there is cumulative damage done to the fine structures of the foot and ankle, as occurs during long-term wear of shoes with elevated heels. However, I think it’s fair to say that it’s not ideal.

Not to mention, we evolved over millions of years to walk on feet, not squishy, comfortable shoes.

*Actually, they don’t. No material is perfect, so they actually exhibit a sort of pseudo-elastic deformation, changing your form slightly over the long term as well.

I use a combo of Chucks and Frees. I tend to prefer the Chucks for deadlifts (I usually sumo) and I prefer the Frees for squats (I mostly front squat). I have a few pairs of both Nike Free 7.0 Trainers and one of the Gym. I love them all! I will deadlift in the Frees, but I prefer the Chucks.

I’ve never tried deadlifting or squatting barefoot, so that’s something I might try soon.

I used to train calves exclusively barefoot, but it started to get painful as the weight went up. Chucks weren’t comfortable for calves, but I love using my Frees for calves now.

I prefer to deadlift, squat, run, and play guitar in a jangly laid back style in no other shoes than JJ Casuals.

I dont believe a flat sole to be best for your joints.

Look into Nike Shox. They have great cushioning and get some custom made orthotics. Over time, your knees will thank you.