Bands Who Only Made One Good Album

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I thought the first Bush Album (16 Stone) was really good, yes Nirvana rip off artists but still a good collection of songs, then they fell HARD.

[/quote]

This. Agree on many of the bands featured so far. Although I thought RHCP and LP did have better albums than their first. The bands were at a different stage in their career but their music can still be appreciated. I think there was a lot of hard work and touring behind these two bands.

For Pearl Jam I thought Vitalogy was a good album.

Blink 182 - although it can be debated everything they did was shit.

I have to mention Live, I only know of Throwing Copper, an album which I really love and then they kind of disappeared with mediocre releases after that.[/quote]

Agree as well, its all relative…Blink 182 is one of my favorites of all time, I love pop punk always will someone else will hear it and think every song is the same and to a degree they are right but for some reason Ill always like it, I think their newest album is really good and worth a listen.

You mention Pearl Jam some people will tell you that Vitology sucked, I thought it was great and even really liked No Code and Yield. After that however I just was bored.

Actually was a big fan of Live as well, Throwing Copper was awesome the next Album Secret Samadhi (or something like that) was good and then well yuck.

I for one is stuck in the music of my youth in the 90’s its the soundtrack of my life, the bands you mentioned brings back memories…Though Im sure you ask people on this forum about the Pearl Jams and Nirvana’s and they think its the worst shit in the world and will tell you the 80’s are were where its at…

All I know is today’s music sucks :wink:
this doesent have anything to do with the topic sorry.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Pretty much every punk band. (real punk, kids)

Pistols, Buzzcocks, Adverts, Clash, Damned, X-Ray Spex, Slits, Gen X, Gang of Four, Raincoats.
[/quote]

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

The problem is when people try to hold onto the past…
[/quote]

Yet nearly every band you mentioned in your post above had broken up by 1979. Frankly, it seems like the older guys have no problem moving on, but it’s the wet behind the ears pups who pine away for an era that they weren’t even born for.

You’ll probably fall asleep tonight clutching your Innocents EP, wishing you had only been born 30 years earlier and could’ve been there at the Lesser Free Trade Hall on that fateful July night in 1976.

Sweet dreams, Vicomte.
[/quote]

I’m confused. I list several bands that only made one good album, suggest another did the same, and should have curled up and died like the rest, and you seem to be suggesting that I am somehow stuck in a past I never even existed in.

You’re arguing like Professor X.

This worries me.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I thought the first Bush Album (16 Stone) was really good, yes Nirvana rip off artists but still a good collection of songs, then they fell HARD.

[/quote]

This. Agree on many of the bands featured so far. Although I thought RHCP and LP did have better albums than their first. The bands were at a different stage in their career but their music can still be appreciated. I think there was a lot of hard work and touring behind these two bands.

For Pearl Jam I thought Vitalogy was a good album.

Blink 182 - although it can be debated everything they did was shit.

I have to mention Live, I only know of Throwing Copper, an album which I really love and then they kind of disappeared with mediocre releases after that.[/quote]

Agree as well, its all relative…Blink 182 is one of my favorites of all time, I love pop punk always will someone else will hear it and think every song is the same and to a degree they are right but for some reason Ill always like it, I think their newest album is really good and worth a listen.

You mention Pearl Jam some people will tell you that Vitology sucked, I thought it was great and even really liked No Code and Yield. After that however I just was bored.

Actually was a big fan of Live as well, Throwing Copper was awesome the next Album Secret Samadhi (or something like that) was good and then well yuck.

I for one is stuck in the music of my youth in the 90’s its the soundtrack of my life, the bands you mentioned brings back memories…Though Im sure you ask people on this forum about the Pearl Jams and Nirvana’s and they think its the worst shit in the world and will tell you the 80’s are were where its at…

All I know is today’s music sucks :wink:
this doesent have anything to do with the topic sorry.[/quote]

Haha I think we’re cut from the same cloth.

I think some may say the 70s (!!) is where it’s at :slight_smile: The bands yeah are 90s focused and somewhere between me finishing school and in university.

I will check out Blink 182. I think Green Day did a great job of re-inventing their content.

I guess a band staying true to their roots vs. selling out is totally debatable. Just because some songs feature in the top of the pops or Billboard doesn’t mean they have somehow sold out to the devil of capitalism. For me, great music, good lyrics, unique singing voices and I will listen to their music whether it’s cool jazz or heavy metal or something in between.

Today’s music for the most part sucks. Well maybe we’re just from a different time zone, I guess we do believe the music of our generation was IT. “They don’t write them like the used to”.

My biggest regret is great music from the 70s/80s and I guess even 90s disappeared before I got to really appreciate them. I wonder what it would be like to see this band live or have listened to their albums more diligently.

/rant lol

A3 - Exile on cold harbor avenue

Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

Ten Years After - A Space in time

The Cars - The Cars

Edgar winter - They only come out at night

Extreme - III sides to every story

Fuel - Something like human

The Gandarvas - A Soap Bubble and Inertia

Gerry Rafferty - Bakers Street

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon

I Mother Earth - Dig

John Entwistle - Smash your head

Me’Shell NdegéOcello - Peace beyond passion

Monkeywalk -More

Montrose - Montrose

Patti Rothberg - Patti Rothberg

Pete Townsend - Empty Glass

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Screaming Trees - Sweet oblivion

Soul asylum - Let your dim light shine

Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade

T Rex - Electric Warrior

Thin Lizzy - JailBreak

Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes

The Tubes - The Tubes

Urge Overkill - Saturation

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Tubes

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I meant “good points”, not God points! lol[/quote]

ID, I think you’d appreciate this doco by the BBC - seven ages of rock. It traces rock’s origins over the last 50 odd years. You’ve probably owned most of the records featured and attended many of the acts but I thought the 7 part series was a good anthology. I’m fascinated by the origin of bands, writing sources, history, background of albums etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/[/quote]

That’s awesome! I’m thoroughly going to enjoy watching them when I get a bit of free time.

Thanks Xander!

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
A3 - Exile on cold harbor avenue

Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

Ten Years After - A Space in time

The Cars - The Cars

Edgar winter - They only come out at night

Extreme - III sides to every story

Fuel - Something like human

The Gandarvas - A Soap Bubble and Inertia

Gerry Rafferty - Bakers Street

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon

I Mother Earth - Dig

John Entwistle - Smash your head

Me’Shell NdegéOcello - Peace beyond passion

Monkeywalk -More

Montrose - Montrose

Patti Rothberg - Patti Rothberg

Pete Townsend - Empty Glass

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Screaming Trees - Sweet oblivion

Soul asylum - Let your dim light shine

Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade

T Rex - Electric Warrior

Thin Lizzy - JailBreak

Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes

The Tubes - The Tubes

Urge Overkill - Saturation

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Tubes[/quote]

Good list, Testy, and I agree with most of it. But I have to say that Screaming Trees’ “Uncle Anesthesia” was EXCELLENT!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

Good list, Testy, and I agree with most of it. But I have to say that Screaming Trees’ “Uncle Anesthesia” was EXCELLENT!
[/quote]

Not familiar with it, I’ll have to look for that one.

Ha!

Fuck you guys I’ve got the one and only stand alone band that made only one good album ever.

The Toadies, Rubberneck

And this album is GREAT. I love it, I love it still. Top to bottom not a bad track on it. It’s weird, rapey, a little lyrically violent, and from the POV of the wierdo and not the white knight who rides in to save, solve, or be the hero, baby.

They’ve got other albums, but this one is IT for anything worth a damn.

Listen to the whole album all at once and call me a bullshitter.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not familiar with it, I’ll have to look for that one.[/quote]

I’ll send the album to you via SendSPace. Look for a PM sometime today.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Ha!

Fuck you guys I’ve got the one and only stand alone band that made only one good album ever.

The Toadies, Rubberneck

And this album is GREAT. I love it, I love it still. Top to bottom not a bad track on it. It’s weird, rapey, a little lyrically violent, and from the POV of the wierdo and not the white knight who rides in to save, solve, or be the hero, baby.

[/quote]

You are right-the-fuck on, Brad! Great album! I still lift to a few of those songs.

Metallica. Just kidding.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Ha!

The Toadies, Rubberneck

[/quote]

You win this thread.

Bands that sucked because Kurt Cobain is dead: F__ F_gh_ers.

argue with me.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

argue with me.[/quote]

Even though I loved Nirvana, I can’t listen to them anymore.

Foo Fighters, on the other hand get regular play on my iTunes.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

argue with me.[/quote]

I think F__ F_gh_ers are a whole different kind of band with a completely different message.

Grohl proves with foo that he’s more or a goofball, fun-lover.

Cobain had a lot to say, but it was all very grey and gloomy. Grohl makes fun music, pop music.

Grohl wants to learn to fly
Cobain is forever in debt to your priceless advice.

Dichotomy in it’s purest.

The question is:

Would foo really be foo if it weren’t for Cobain? Does Kurt represent the 0 degree that Grohl turned 180 degrees from with the foo project?

I don’t know that answer, but I bet Pat Smear does.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Grohl proves with foo that he’s more or a goofball, fun-lover.

[/quote]

Right on.

Brad- Shame

Mother Love Bone. Yes. This was a good album.

Last one. Listened to this driving from NC to Kansas in one haul, and it was good shite.