Bands Who Only Made One Good Album

I meant “good points”, not God points! lol

[quote]Vortura wrote:

The Pixies “Surfer Rosa” (1988). Raw rocking songs, produced by Steve Albini. I really can’t stand any of their other albums because they seem stale and overproduced in comparison, and I sold them all years ago. I’m sure fans of the band will completely disagree with me.

[/quote]

I completely disagree with you.

and Surfer Rosa was engineered by Albini, no? lol

Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Blood Sugar Sex Magik”.

“Californication” “By the Way” and “Stadium Arcadium” and “I’m With You” are all horrible albums with about 6 good songs between them. “Mother’s Milk”, “Freaky Styley” and “One Hot Minute” were all good albums, but “Blood Sugar Sex Magik” is SOOOOOOOOOO much better than any other album of theirs that everything else they’ve done before or since is a complete letdown and pales in comparison.

Wu Tang Clan, “Enter the Wu Tang”.

Their other group albums fucking suck, period. Wu Tang Forever was halfway decent, I suppose. But that’s it. All the best Wu Tang shit, of which there is a LOT of, appears on all the solo albums.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Wu Tang Clan, “Enter the Wu Tang”.

Their other group albums fucking suck, period. Wu Tang Forever was halfway decent, I suppose. But that’s it. All the best Wu Tang shit, of which there is a LOT of, appears on all the solo albums. [/quote]

these guys?

srsly?

Spacehog’s debut album “Resident Alien”

Franz Ferdinand

Guns n’ Roses

Rage Against the Machine

None of them came even close to their debut album.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
I’m friends with a very well known music critic and the topic of 1 album wonders was brought up. He made a couple points, first a bands best album is almost always it’s first. It’s the album that cements the bands sound in it’s fans’ minds and future diversions from that will be looked at as somehow “less than”.

Second, the songwriter put the best songs he’s written up til that time on that first album. The second album, often the victim of the sophomore slump, might be the result of a year and a half of writing while touring to support the first album and leftovers that didn’t make the cut on the first.

That being said, London Calling was much better than The Clash.[/quote]

Good points, and I agree about London Calling (also had one the THE best album covers in rock history, IMHO. In a single frozen moment, it just summed up the raw power and destruction that punk injected into the scene).
[/quote]

London Calling is mediocre pop with a cool cover.

I can understand why a hippie might like the idea, however.

All I know is listening to Janie Jones makes me happy, while listening to London Calling makes me miss Janie Jones.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Quite a few bands do better on the second album. Radiohead’s Pablo Honey (the first album) had Creep, a great track, but the rest was forgettable. Then came The Bends which was awesome. Everything after that was pretentious wank, though some may disagree.

Muse’s first album was alright, but Origin of Symmetry eclipsed it by a long way. (Then again, they are hardly one album wonders - they seem to keep getting better).

As for one album wonders, I think that likely applies to more bands than it does not.[/quote]

Muse was consistently amazing until Resistance, when it swallowed a huge cock with balls chaser.

I made a thread to this effect a couple years back.

Of course, I think Showbiz is their most underrated album.

Living Color- Vivid
Disturbed- The Sickness
The Black Crows- Shake Your Money Maker
The Cars- The Cars
Boston- Boston
Weezer- The Blue Album

X2 on RATM, Helmet and Def Leppard.

I’m a picky basterd when it comes to music, to a fault sometimes I think.

I’m friends with a very well known music critic and the topic of 1 album wonders was brought up. He made a couple points, first a bands best album is almost always it’s first. It’s the album that cements the bands sound in it’s fans’ minds and future diversions from that will be looked at as somehow “less than”.

Second, the songwriter put the best songs he’s written up til that time on that first album. The second album, often the victim of the sophomore slump, might be the result of a year and a half of writing while touring to support the first album and leftovers that didn’t make the cut on the first.

That is some intersting shit, thanks for posting it. My choice for The Black Crows is making more sense to me now, see paragraph two above.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Good points, and I agree about London Calling (also had one the THE best album covers in rock history, IMHO. In a single frozen moment, it just summed up the raw power and destruction that punk injected into the scene).
[/quote]

All I know is listening to Janie Jones makes me happy, while listening to London Calling makes me miss Janie Jones.[/quote]

Hippie?? Son, I was a punk before you were a glint in your daddy’s eye. I remember reading the headlines when Sid Vicious killed Nancy.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

All I know is listening to Janie Jones makes me happy, while listening to London Calling makes me miss Janie Jones.[/quote]

Hippie?? Son, I was a punk before you were a glint in your daddy’s eye. I remember reading the headlines when Sid Vicious killed Nancy.
[/quote]

If it quacks like a duck…

And likes London Calling…

But seriously, Dwarf, you have to admit that LC just doesn’t have the punk sound that Clash did. It’s not a terrible pop/rock album, but it’s certainly not a punk album.

I thought the first Bush Album (16 Stone) was really good, yes Nirvana rip off artists but still a good collection of songs, then they fell HARD.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

But seriously, Dwarf, you have to admit that LC just doesn’t have the punk sound that Clash did. It’s not a terrible pop/rock album, but it’s certainly not a punk album.[/quote]

And there’s your mistake, thinking of The Clash as only a punk band who can only put out a punk album. See point 1 of my first post.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Pretty much every punk band. (real punk, kids)

Pistols, Buzzcocks, Adverts, Clash, Damned, X-Ray Spex, Slits, Gen X, Gang of Four, Raincoats. [/quote]

How old are you? 19, 20 maybe…? Kids…

The Clash are great precisely because they’re not one album wonders, because they allowed themselves to grow as musicians and because their audience connected with them on that level as well. You brought up Janie Jones…I fucking love that song. Gives me goosebumps. But you know what else gives me goosebumps? Those first few notes of Strummer’s bass on “Guns of Brixton” and Strummer calling out “On the route of the 19 bus” on Rudie Can’t Fail.

Music is going to grow. If you don’t allow yourself to as well, you’re going to miss out on a hell of a lot of great shit.

Here’s a great example of music that connects with people, although I suppose it’s not “punk” enough for you. Keep sticking those safety pins in your leather jacket and touching up the band names you’ve written on it in white out. If you’re left wondering why you’re all alone, it’s not because everyone else has sold out, but that we’ve moved on.

I’d like to say that people…
people can change anything they want to.
And that means everything in the world.
Show me any country and there’ll be people in it.
It’s time to take that humanity back into the center of the ring
and follow that for a time.
You know, think on that
Without people, you’re nothing.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I thought the first Bush Album (16 Stone) was really good, yes Nirvana rip off artists but still a good collection of songs, then they fell HARD.

[/quote]

This. Agree on many of the bands featured so far. Although I thought RHCP and LP did have better albums than their first. The bands were at a different stage in their career but their music can still be appreciated. I think there was a lot of hard work and touring behind these two bands.

For Pearl Jam I thought Vitalogy was a good album.

Blink 182 - although it can be debated everything they did was shit.

I have to mention Live, I only know of Throwing Copper, an album which I really love and then they kind of disappeared with mediocre releases after that.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I meant “good points”, not God points! lol[/quote]

ID, I think you’d appreciate this doco by the BBC - seven ages of rock. It traces rock’s origins over the last 50 odd years. You’ve probably owned most of the records featured and attended many of the acts but I thought the 7 part series was a good anthology. I’m fascinated by the origin of bands, writing sources, history, background of albums etc.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

But seriously, Dwarf, you have to admit that LC just doesn’t have the punk sound that Clash did. It’s not a terrible pop/rock album, but it’s certainly not a punk album.[/quote]

And there’s your mistake, thinking of The Clash as only a punk band who can only put out a punk album. See point 1 of my first post.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

Pistols, Buzzcocks, Adverts, Clash, Damned, X-Ray Spex, Slits, Gen X, Gang of Four, Raincoats. [/quote]

How old are you? 19, 20 maybe…? Kids…

The Clash are great precisely because they’re not one album wonders, because they allowed themselves to grow as musicians and because their audience connected with them on that level as well. You brought up Janie Jones…I fucking love that song. Gives me goosebumps. But you know what else gives me goosebumps? Those first few notes of Strummer’s bass on “Guns of Brixton” and Strummer calling out “On the route of the 19 bus” on Rudie Can’t Fail.

Music is going to grow. If you don’t allow yourself to as well, you’re going to miss out on a hell of a lot of great shit.

Here’s a great example of music that connects with people, although I suppose it’s not “punk” enough for you. Keep sticking those safety pins in your leather jacket and touching up the band names you’ve written on it in white out. If you’re left wondering why you’re all alone, it’s not because everyone else has sold out, but that we’ve moved on.

I’d like to say that people…
people can change anything they want to.
And that means everything in the world.
Show me any country and there’ll be people in it.
It’s time to take that humanity back into the center of the ring
and follow that for a time.
You know, think on that
Without people, you’re nothing.
[/quote]

Some things aren’t meant to grow. They’re meant to die.

The problem is when people try to hold onto the past, as you mentioned, which is when we get shit like the above song.

Strummer should have fizzled out when he had the chance. Take Sid Vicious, for example. There’s a guy who knew what he was doing. Better than John Lydon, who went on to make some pretty awful music and otherwise look ridiculous in a number of ways.

Old people…

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

Pistols, Buzzcocks, Adverts, Clash, Damned, X-Ray Spex, Slits, Gen X, Gang of Four, Raincoats.
[/quote]

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

The problem is when people try to hold onto the past…
[/quote]

Yet nearly every band you mentioned in your post above had broken up by 1979. Frankly, it seems like the older guys have no problem moving on, but it’s the wet behind the ears pups who pine away for an era that they weren’t even born for.

You’ll probably fall asleep tonight clutching your Innocents EP, wishing you had only been born 30 years earlier and could’ve been there at the Lesser Free Trade Hall on that fateful July night in 1976.

Sweet dreams, Vicomte.