Babies are for Idiots?

Interesting thread here. I wonder how step children fit into this model. I will never have my own biological children but do have a step daughter. I’m hoping I won’t have regret later in life about not spreading my seed.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

intelligence is rapidly become bi-modally distributed much more than it has in the past. If it keeps up, you’ll have a species split in a couple thousand years.[/quote]

So the question is, who among us will be the ancestors of the Eloi, and which the ancestors of the Morlocks.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
but like Orion, can’t be “arsed.”[/quote]

I cant have a British moment?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
but like Orion, can’t be “arsed.”[/quote]

I cant have a British moment?[/quote]

I’m British and by the powers vested in me, I allow you a jolly good British chin wag, Squire.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

So, perhaps more scary to those who care about this kind of thing is the smart people of the future will be disproportionately Orthodox Jewish, Catholic, and Mormon.

[/quote]

In the United States, certainly. Taking the world population as an aggregate, though (and perhaps even scarier to those who care about such things) I think you’d have to include Hindus and Muslims in this list. Lot of really smart people in India, Pakistan, Iran, the Gulf States, Malaysia, Indonesia, and they are having lots of children, many of them excelling at western universities. [/quote]

Hindus, I agree.

The IQ in certain neighboring countries to mine, however, is on the decline probably due to arranged cousin marriage. And yes, I can give links, but like Orion, can’t be “arsed.”[/quote]

So is that why the Rothschilds all had children with low IQs? Because they married their cousins?

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Interesting thread here. I wonder how step children fit into this model. I will never have my own biological children but do have a step daughter. I’m hoping I won’t have regret later in life about not spreading my seed.[/quote]

You want the Darwinian answer or the theological?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Interesting thread here. I wonder how step children fit into this model. I will never have my own biological children but do have a step daughter. I’m hoping I won’t have regret later in life about not spreading my seed.[/quote]

You want the Darwinian answer or the theological?[/quote]

He wants both…

Mebbe?

In The Symposium by Plato, Socrates mentions how people all really seek immortality. My interpretation from what was written is that there are different levels of immortality. The lowest and most common is living on through your children. Most people do this since it is easy and requires little effort, demonstrated by the fact that the act of giving birth has happened over 100 billion times over man’s history. The second is a higher form which is getting “mentally pregnant” meaning that your mentality lives on through wisdom, or deeper understanding. It makes sense that those who are considered more intelligent generally seek the latter.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
As a father of 8 (yes, 8, all girls) and for a long time a single widower father of 4 now more-or-less adult daughters, I see some logic and flaws in this article.

First, regarding happiness. That finding is stupid. Parenthood is generally voluntary nowadays. So people that do not want children don’t have them and people who do want them have them. So of course both groups are happy.

Second, regarding smart people not having kids. In general, this is probably true. Children, if you do it right, are a tremendous responsibility and a burden. Smart people figure this out and decide work is easier because it more-or-less ends at the end of the work day. Smart people also have more options and have high expectations put upon them. In general, being a stay-at-home mom is incorrectly looked down upon by the intelegensia as a “waste.” Both of my wives (both medical doctors who prioritized their children) got (get) that grief from all sides.

I think the exception to the smart-people-don’t have kids rule are smart-religious-people. Besides my personal family, one of my partners is Roman Catholic and he has 6 kids. Both he and his wife are Harvard lawyers.

So, perhaps more scary to those who care about this kind of thing is the smart people of the future will be disproportionately Orthodox Jewish, Catholic, and Mormon.

[/quote]

Hey don’t forget the Lutherans. I have 9.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

In the United States, certainly. Taking the world population as an aggregate, though (and perhaps even scarier to those who care about such things) I think you’d have to include Hindus and Muslims in this list. Lot of really smart people in India, Pakistan, Iran, the Gulf States, Malaysia, Indonesia, and they are having lots of children, many of them excelling at western universities. [/quote]

Hindus, I agree.

The IQ in certain neighboring countries to mine, however, is on the decline probably due to arranged cousin marriage. And yes, I can give links, but like Orion, can’t be “arsed.”[/quote]

So is that why the Rothschilds all had children with low IQs? Because they married their cousins?
[/quote]

Existing tendancies are reinforced, both good and bad. Ask any dog breeder.

I’m not knocking distant cousin marriage. Almost every Jew alive today, regardless if Sephardic, Ashkenazi, or Mizarhim is genetically the equivalent of a 5th cousin to every other Jew.

But 1st? Bit much.

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
As a father of 8 (yes, 8, all girls) and for a long time a single widower father of 4 now more-or-less adult daughters, I see some logic and flaws in this article.

First, regarding happiness. That finding is stupid. Parenthood is generally voluntary nowadays. So people that do not want children don’t have them and people who do want them have them. So of course both groups are happy.

Second, regarding smart people not having kids. In general, this is probably true. Children, if you do it right, are a tremendous responsibility and a burden. Smart people figure this out and decide work is easier because it more-or-less ends at the end of the work day. Smart people also have more options and have high expectations put upon them. In general, being a stay-at-home mom is incorrectly looked down upon by the intelegensia as a “waste.” Both of my wives (both medical doctors who prioritized their children) got (get) that grief from all sides.

I think the exception to the smart-people-don’t have kids rule are smart-religious-people. Besides my personal family, one of my partners is Roman Catholic and he has 6 kids. Both he and his wife are Harvard lawyers.

[/quote]

Hey don’t forget the Lutherans. I have 9.[/quote]

You’re just Catholics, but with grace.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

Hey don’t forget the Lutherans. I have 9.[/quote]

You’re just Catholics, but with grace.[/quote]

Blasphemy, no Protestant puts on a mass like Catholics.

Except Anglicans.

[quote]willfull wrote:

1. If you have a high IQ and you plan on no having kids your allowing us to be out bred by lower IQ people.

2. If you dont have kids can you really comment on the experience of having and raising children?

Give me 5 minutes and i’ll find a peer reviewed study to support any opinion you may have.[/quote]
I have my masters, business owner, happily married father of 5.

I did my part.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]willfull wrote:

1. If you have a high IQ and you plan on no having kids your allowing us to be out bred by lower IQ people.

2. If you dont have kids can you really comment on the experience of having and raising children?

Give me 5 minutes and i’ll find a peer reviewed study to support any opinion you may have.[/quote]

I did my part.[/quote]

I gave the world two. And if all goes well, by the time my youngest is as old as my oldest, my oldest will have a grandbaby or two…

Pretty excited actually.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]willfull wrote:

I did my part.[/quote]

I gave the world two. And if all goes well, by the time my youngest is as old as my oldest, my oldest will have a grandbaby or two…

Pretty excited actually. [/quote]

Slow the fuck down Beans.

I am a grandparent.

Let it happen.

Cause like being a 17 year old father like I was, somethings are better with age.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Existing tendancies are reinforced, both good and bad. Ask any dog breeder.

I’m not knocking distant cousin marriage. Almost every Jew alive today, regardless if Sephardic, Ashkenazi, or Mizarhim is genetically the equivalent of a 5th cousin to every other Jew.

But 1st? Bit much.[/quote]

Are you aware that in the State of Rhode Island, you (and I mean you, Jewbacca, as an Orthodox Jew), are legally entitled to marry your niece? Of all the prohibited consanguinous relationships in Leviticus 18, this one didn’t make the list. I think uncles and nieces share as much genetic material as half-siblings, or twice as much as first cousins. Go figure.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
This leads to a disturbing issue. Basically the lower IQ keep pumping out kids. Great.[/quote]

Pretty much. [/quote]
About to watch now

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
I don’t know about any of this. I just want to have a son so I can mold him into the ultimate human.[/quote]

Have sex with a chimp and you will have your humanzee.
[/quote]

Someone already bursted my bubble on Hybrids being infertile back when I wanted to bang an alien to start a new race and be a god. The humazee would just be a one off so it wouldnt be worth it.

That being said I am on board for Csulli banging a chimp so long as he spends the night out of the respect. [/quote]
Hehe. There was more to what I said.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

You want the Darwinian answer or the theological?[/quote]

He wants both…

Mebbe?[/quote]

Thanks, but I should probably do without an answer. This debate about child vs child free couples is interesting, but the issue of step children seems to be a third scenario. I figured I would have something to contribute by just bringing it up.