Athletic Training

My initial post was based on the OP’s specs - what they tell me is that he would likely find it difficult to add weight (under 20 years old, tall, already quite light framed, and maybe has a paranoia about gaining fat).

IMO, the only way to do either pursuits, is to reduce training volume for bodybuilding (e.g. no more than 4 days per week). I don’t think this will build a very full/developed physique, but it would still add some mass “slowly”. Then again, it depends on how much “athletic work” he’s doing, if he eats enough, and how good his recovery is.

Speaking from personal experience, I didn’t put on weight very well when young, even now, at 26 years old, I still have to eat between 5-6000 cals per day to gain (training 6 days/week). There’s no way I could do it any justice with a full time job if I were to add in more work.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
You need to decide what your priorities are. Do you want to get big and muscular? Or lean, small and athletic…stop trying to do both at the same time (you very likely don’t have the genetics for it). Bear in mind that you are posting on a bodybuilding forum where most are not concerned about performance other than getting stronger bigger (and leaner at times).

You are 6’2", weigh 175lbs, lean, and are young = very hard to put on weight.

You need to focus on getting your bodyweight up (eat enough), and do minimal energy work other than weight training.

This is bodybuilding 101 - if you don’t think this is important, you’re in the wrong forum :slight_smile:

By all means try out your HIIT for a while, but keep the sessions short, and if you’re really stuggling to put on weight, drop them.[/quote]

I agree with this. Either pursuit will take YEARS to be “good” at it. No one becomes either HUGE or on the level of a pro athlete or even collegiate level overnight or even with just one year of training. Even if you have the genetics for this, unless you are starting this weighing over 200lbs, it may take you 5 years to gain enough size for others to recognize you as “really big”.

In your 20’s is when you need to decide what your goal is going to be. Wasting that time thinking you have time in the future to do it will leave you NOT.

Also, while just about all of us enjoy weight lifting and training, if you are not making progress, you are wasting time. No one who stands out in this is just going to the gym just because they like to be there.[/quote]

I spent too much time telling myself I’ve got plenty time left…too right time flies in your twenties!

The way I see it, it’s far easier to maintain muscle (once you’ve held it) than it is to build it, so why put if off? Why not built it up first, get past the hard bit, push the limits, and then do other stuff?

Then again, I can’t speak for everyone cause I don’t much care for athletics

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Ya got ur pm, thanks
And sorry for the triple post lol[/quote]

Good.

Sorry for my triple messages, I thought it was just my crappy sky broadband again lol

As regards the anabolic diet type diet, I agree with sickabs and others who’re eating a little higher carbs on the AD on a more long term basis (although, you can’t call it the AD anymore). I think people read into macro-nutrient ratios too much - just don’t go overboard (e.g. extreme restrictions, or too many calories), give your body a stimulus, feed it…that’s it.

Your body’s not going to be confused if you give it 120 carbs instead of 30 lol. You don’t just adapt to one thing or the other, there are no extremes like this; your body uses what it’s got available (some times you can be burning mainly fat, other times your body will use the carbs that are available).

Is your body going to get fat because your macro-nutrient ratio was 45/25/30, instead of 45/30/25??? Of course you wouldn’t eat tubs and tubs of fat/carbs at the same time, but don’t be extreme and think that it’s either one or the other.

Give your body a reason to put all it’s calories to good use (e.g. train often) and you can hardly go wrong.

You’ll learn what your body can tolerate. For example, for me, if I eat High GI carbs late at night, that tends to make my fat gains higher (like many people). Or, for workouts, I can’t cope without some carbs before-hand.