Anyone Else Not on Whey Protein?

[quote]gregron wrote:
stopped using Whey protein (used sever different types over the years) about 6 months ago and have felt so much better ever since.

no bloat, no GI issues, no horrendous “protein fats”… its great.[/quote]

What do you use/do now?

I don’t notice any major difference with whey if I’m eating right. It seems dumb that we eat every three hours, it takes 3-5 hours to digest and absorb yet we need “fast acting” protein before and after workouts. Kind of a moot point with a steady stream of aminos floating around.

That said, it does have its place in a calorie restricted diet and powders with added leucine, glutamine and bcaas certainly would seem to have an anabolic edge over a can of tuna.

Creatine is a different story altogether. I absolutely have more energy, greater strength and fuller muscles when using creatine.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
stopped using Whey protein (used sever different types over the years) about 6 months ago and have felt so much better ever since.

Luckily for me whey doesn’t seem to cause issues, though I know several others on another board that get issues from it.

Curious, are you using other forms or just straight whole foods? I don’t think I could ever reach my target protein amount through solid foods.[/quote]

whats your target protein number?

i get 1g per LB in whole foods + an amino supp.

I use a whey isolate post workout…mainly cause my life if busy and I don’t have time to cook meals. I normally eat food first but a shake here and there will help out.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Luckily for me whey doesn’t seem to cause issues, though I know several others on another board that get issues from it.

Curious, are you using other forms or just straight whole foods? I don’t think I could ever reach my target protein amount through solid foods.[/quote]

whats your target protein number?

i get 1g per LB in whole foods + an amino supp.[/quote]

^^how much do you weigh?

[quote]gregron wrote:
^^how much do you weigh?[/quote]

165 (not enough), just got back into the whole “time to put weight on thing”

This is not an endorsement.
I’m an older guy who has tried and or bought just about every type of protein powder that was, or is currently on the market. I’ve never had any stomach issues with any of them. My goal has always been taste. If it doesn’t taste good, I won’t drink it. I just can’t go without my Metabolic Drive Low Carb. I eat wholesome food as often as possible, but taste rules all. When I need extra protein, I reach for the powder. Quick, easy, tasty, and filling. Any time, any where.

[quote]gregron wrote:

165 (not enough), just got back into the whole “time to put weight on thing”[/quote]

300g of pro is probably overkill.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

165 (not enough), just got back into the whole “time to put weight on thing”[/quote]

300g of pro is probably overkill.[/quote]

At this point you’re probably right, but I’m also getting around 3500 cals with about 55% fat, and keeping carbs around 100-150g/day, so the rest is protein :wink:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

At this point you’re probably right, but I’m also getting around 3500 cals with about 55% fat, and keeping carbs around 100-150g/day, so the rest is protein ;)[/quote]

How well’s that working for you? That high-fat, med-protein, low-carb approach? (Besides myself), I’ve never known anyone else who’s actually done that.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

At this point you’re probably right, but I’m also getting around 3500 cals with about 55% fat, and keeping carbs around 100-150g/day, so the rest is protein ;)[/quote]

How well’s that working for you? That high-fat, med-protein, low-carb approach? (Besides myself), I’ve never known anyone else who’s actually done that.[/quote]

I love it. I was using a similar approach maybe 6 months ago to assess how it was for health and I got much leaner in the process. I still did/do high carb on the weekend, though I may drop that to 1 day since I’m putting fat on more quickly than I want.

As for bulking, it’s going fine as well, in the past 13-14 weeks I’ve put on 16#s with about 11 of that being lean mass, I’ve stalled the past 3 weeks in weight since I cut portions slightly.

Big downside to this diet is it’s way expensive especially since we buy I’d say 90-95% organic/pastured foods. This is one of the reasons I put off gaining weight again for so long. The cost just wasn’t worth it. Right now it is though

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I just saw more scare tactics… apparently there’s now ‘free’ ebooks describing how whey protein is slowly poisoning everyone.[/quote]

there are some whey proteins that are contaminated with heavy metals and rat feces.[/quote]

I’ve seen the heavy metals report, got a link for the rat feces?[/quote]

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm171458.htm

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companies�¢?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

FDA investigators also discovered live and dead rodents and rodent urine, feces and gnaw holes on bags of product.[/quote]

Hmm, seems a leap, albeit a tiny one, to say contaminated with feces. Sounds like they just shat where they ate :smiley:
[/quote]

LOL do you really want to take a chance that a rat shit and pissed even within 10 square meters of your protein powder that has a hole in the bag?

[quote]gregron wrote:

lol 300g of protein for 165lbs of bodyweight? following those PN guidelines i see.

[quote]gregron wrote:

lol 300g of protein for 165lbs of bodyweight? following those PN guidelines i see.[/quote]

not sure what you’re implying there as far as going more than PN recommends or not… anyways, Im’ making progress is there something wrong with my plan then?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I just saw more scare tactics… apparently there’s now ‘free’ ebooks describing how whey protein is slowly poisoning everyone.[/quote]

there are some whey proteins that are contaminated with heavy metals and rat feces.[/quote]

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companies�?�¢?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

FDA investigators also discovered live and dead rodents and rodent urine, feces and gnaw holes on bags of product.[/quote]

Hmm, seems a leap, albeit a tiny one, to say contaminated with feces. Sounds like they just shat where they ate :smiley:
[/quote]

LOL do you really want to take a chance that a rat shit and pissed even within 10 square meters of your protein powder that has a hole in the bag?[/quote]

I wasn’t defending the plant, rather just correcting your statement to more accurately reflect, though you may still be correct :wink:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companies�?�¢?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

[/quote]

LOL do you really want to take a chance that a rat shit and pissed even within 10 square meters of your protein powder that has a hole in the bag?[/quote]

I guarantee you that a cow shat and pissed within 10 square meters of the grass that was eaten to create the milk that went into that protein powder.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companies�??�?�¢?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

[/quote]

I guarantee you that a cow shat and pissed within 10 square meters of the grass that was eaten to create the milk that went into that protein powder.[/quote]

In fairness, I can wrap my mind around that idea better than rat poop directly touching the food.

[quote]gregron wrote:

lol 300g of protein for 165lbs of bodyweight? following those PN guidelines i see.[/quote]

this is also why I hesitate listing my weight, figured someone on here would make an unwarranted judgmental statement

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companies�??�?�¢?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

[/quote]

I guarantee you that a cow shat and pissed within 10 square meters of the grass that was eaten to create the milk that went into that protein powder.[/quote]

good point. i also guarantee a chicken shit in the chickens mouth below it in the cage that my eggs come from LOL.