T Nation

Anyone Else Not on Whey Protein?

I've been hitting PRs as of late and I feel that my best lifts are here and even better PRs are to come.

Once difference I can say is that I am off Whey and Creatine. Now I am not saying that because of it I'm lifting better, but I'd rather get my protein, vitamins, amino acids from unprocessed sources.

Any one else not on the whey or other products but that are better now than they were before with using it?

I never really noticed a difference when I was taking whey or not as long as I was hitting my macros. However whey certainly makes it more convenient in getting my protein since my appetite has been going south since I have been cutting.

As for creatine I most certainly notice a difference in that I feel stronger in the gym with more energy and when not in the gym I feel like my muscles are fuller like they are sorta pumped 24/7.

Whey is really just a convenient way of getting protein, and specifically getting Leucine. It’s just powdered food. Powdered milk protein really. If you are meeting all of your nutritional needs it shouldnt REALLY make a difference if its from Whey or Chicken

“off protein” never heard it put that whey before :smiley:

I’ve always found real food cheaper than supps.

My brother spends 55 a month on 4.5 pounds of whey. I spend 64 on 32 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I also think opening a food container and eating 6 or so chicken strips is easier than carrying whey and mixing it in front of people and having to deal with all their dumb questions and warnings…

I just saw more scare tactics… apparently there’s now ‘free’ ebooks describing how whey protein is slowly poisoning everyone.

[quote]jaydot511 wrote:
I’ve been hitting PRs as of late and I feel that my best lifts are here and even better PRs are to come.[/quote]
How long have you been training? Exactly what kind of PRs are we talking about. What’re your current bests in the basic lifts?

What does a day’s eating look like for you?

A while ago, I went “off” animal proteins for two months (went vegetarian, then vegan) and I dropped fat and gained strength. This indicated to me that it’s entirely possible for all sorts of nutrition plans to be effective for all sorts of goals. (Important note: one of my “goals” at the time was to maintain my weight. So in that respect, I was actually unsuccessful.)

It also highlighted the fact that it’s more convenient and practical, for me, to get my required nutrition by incorporating animal proteins. I reckon you’ll feel similarly before too long. High-quality protein shakes are convenient and effective. You don’t earn any bonus points at the end of the day if you train without them. If you can reach your goals without them, go for it. Plenty of people have. But plenty more people do use protein supplements as part of a successful training plan.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I just saw more scare tactics… apparently there’s now ‘free’ ebooks describing how whey protein is slowly poisoning everyone.[/quote]

there are some whey proteins that are contaminated with heavy metals and rat feces.

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I just saw more scare tactics… apparently there’s now ‘free’ ebooks describing how whey protein is slowly poisoning everyone.[/quote]

there are some whey proteins that are contaminated with heavy metals and rat feces.[/quote]

I’ve seen the heavy metals report, got a link for the rat feces?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

there are some whey proteins that are contaminated with heavy metals and rat feces.[/quote]

I believe it. And there’s also beef out there that was raised on factory-second candy. Caveat emptor is still in full effect.

But scare tactics to sell your own brand of whey protein, well, that just rubs me the wrong way:

[quote]Is your whey protein powder poisoning you?
Find out the truth! Download your free report today

FACT: Most protein powders on the market are poisoning you - and you don’t even realize it.

Here is what you’ll find when you download this controversial report:[/quote]

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I’ve seen the heavy metals report, got a link for the rat feces?[/quote]

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm171458.htm

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companiesâ?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

FDA investigators also discovered live and dead rodents and rodent urine, feces and gnaw holes on bags of product.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I’ve seen the heavy metals report, got a link for the rat feces?[/quote]

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm171458.htm

During a recent inspection, FDA investigators found that several of the companiesâ?? products contained milk ingredients that were not declared on the product labels. In addition, the company failed to clean processing equipment between batches and control allergens in the facility.

FDA investigators also discovered live and dead rodents and rodent urine, feces and gnaw holes on bags of product.[/quote]

Hmm, seems a leap, albeit a tiny one, to say contaminated with feces. Sounds like they just shat where they ate :smiley:

Yeah. Doesn’t necessarily say those bags of product were then subsequently used. I once had an issue with bugs in my rice. I threw it out. But an inspection + media bias could reasonably have said something like “he serves food with bugs in it”… even though that conclusion isn’t quite true.

Either way, a healthy immune system should be able to handle miniscule amounts of rat feces just fine. Not that I want rat feces in my food. Heavy metal toxicity is a whole other issue.

I haven’t used whey for years. Whole foods, and Humapro for protein supplentation.

You’re not “On” whey. It’s just food.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
You’re not “On” whey. It’s just food. [/quote]

unless you drink ON’s Whey :wink:

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

I also thought whey was almost a steroid and that recent studies showed the need to cycle it

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

I also thought whey was almost a steroid and that recent studies showed the need to cycle it[/quote]

Lol, no, that’s just humapro.

stopped using Whey protein (used sever different types over the years) about 6 months ago and have felt so much better ever since.

no bloat, no GI issues, no horrendous “protein fats”… its great.

[quote]gregron wrote:
stopped using Whey protein (used sever different types over the years) about 6 months ago and have felt so much better ever since.

no bloat, no GI issues, no horrendous “protein fats”… its great.[/quote]

Luckily for me whey doesn’t seem to cause issues, though I know several others on another board that get issues from it.

Curious, are you using other forms or just straight whole foods? I don’t think I could ever reach my target protein amount through solid foods.