Anyone Compete in Highland Games?

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
I threw for a year in 2007 and qualified for the A’s and then shattered my tibia the next day trying Scottish Backhold Wrestling. (video of me throwing and one of me breaking my leg is on youtube…just search for “jerome adams” and they will come up). Have just started back throwing a little and testing the waters, hoping to compete next year (want to drop to 190 and do some LW games)

sportkilt.com for good cheap kilts to throw in. I am swedish and have 3 different kilts. I use my USAF tartan for comps.[/quote]

Haha, I saw that video a while ago. That was the sickest sound ever. Hope your recovery is going well.

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
I threw for a year in 2007 and qualified for the A’s and then shattered my tibia the next day trying Scottish Backhold Wrestling. (video of me throwing and one of me breaking my leg is on youtube…just search for “jerome adams” and they will come up). Have just started back throwing a little and testing the waters, hoping to compete next year (want to drop to 190 and do some LW games)

sportkilt.com for good cheap kilts to throw in. I am swedish and have 3 different kilts. I use my USAF tartan for comps.[/quote]

Hey, I know you.

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
Fishdog70 wrote:

Wow, HG Thrower you come all the way out to Kansas City for the games? That’s quite a trip.

I’ve just recently gotten into the Highland Games. I trained all last year with some throwers here in St. Louis. I started throwing this year and am currently competing in the A class (won both C and B divisions before moving up). I would be throwing again this weekend if I hadn’t pulled something in my back two weeks ago. I’ll just have to rest up and train like crazy over the winter for next year.

What kind of lifting routine do you follow to train for the games HG Thrower? Obviously throwing around the 56 isn’t feasible in a commercial gym. Do you just stick to explosive lifts (snatch, push press, ect.) or do you have some lifts that are closer to the movements used in the games?

Fishdog

The pic is me at the Quad Cities games last month.

Actually, in the gym I try to train in the general plane of the throws, but mostly just work on being stronger and more explosive. I’ve been getting good results with a modified WS4SB template. So, typically it is:
Max Effort Upper Body
Dynamic Lower Body
Rep. Upper
Max Effort Lower

In season, I usually replace the Rep. Upper with a Dynamic or Speed-focused Upper day. So, you end up with 2 days going for max strength, 2 days working on speed and explosiveness. To train the WOB, I do DB swings with a super-max weight, like 80 or 85. I think that’s the closest way in the gym to simulate the amount of force that the throw creates. The ME Lower day is really the peak day for the week. The most taxing, but I think the most gains-producing. Right now my main ME Lower exercise is Zercher squats, working up to 3RM. I’ll be skipping that this week because I have a games on Saturday, so I will need to be fresh and recovered to throw. I’ll do throwing drills on an off day, always with the 28#. I find the 56# to be too taxing and makes it hard to recover if you throw it a bunch in between lifting days. This plan has been working out for me, I’ve had a PR at every game this year, and won a few events.[/quote]

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but do you have any tips for Zerchers? I’m currently running starting strength using zerchers instead of back squats (no rack) and deadlifting the bar up to the knee to set up. I find the mid-back and hamstrings to be hit the most (except for those awkward moments where the bar drifts out in front and you feel your biceps strain to pull it back in). How vertical is your torso on these? One of my mates does them with a near vertical torso, whereas I think I’m in a position closer to a low bar back squat.

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:
Fishdog70 wrote:

Wow, HG Thrower you come all the way out to Kansas City for the games? That’s quite a trip.

I’ve just recently gotten into the Highland Games. I trained all last year with some throwers here in St. Louis. I started throwing this year and am currently competing in the A class (won both C and B divisions before moving up). I would be throwing again this weekend if I hadn’t pulled something in my back two weeks ago. I’ll just have to rest up and train like crazy over the winter for next year.

What kind of lifting routine do you follow to train for the games HG Thrower? Obviously throwing around the 56 isn’t feasible in a commercial gym. Do you just stick to explosive lifts (snatch, push press, ect.) or do you have some lifts that are closer to the movements used in the games?

Fishdog

Actually, in the gym I try to train in the general plane of the throws, but mostly just work on being stronger and more explosive. I’ve been getting good results with a modified WS4SB template. So, typically it is:
Max Effort Upper Body
Dynamic Lower Body
Rep. Upper
Max Effort Lower

In season, I usually replace the Rep. Upper with a Dynamic or Speed-focused Upper day. So, you end up with 2 days going for max strength, 2 days working on speed and explosiveness. To train the WOB, I do DB swings with a super-max weight, like 80 or 85. I think that’s the closest way in the gym to simulate the amount of force that the throw creates. The ME Lower day is really the peak day for the week. The most taxing, but I think the most gains-producing. Right now my main ME Lower exercise is Zercher squats, working up to 3RM. I’ll be skipping that this week because I have a games on Saturday, so I will need to be fresh and recovered to throw. I’ll do throwing drills on an off day, always with the 28#. I find the 56# to be too taxing and makes it hard to recover if you throw it a bunch in between lifting days. This plan has been working out for me, I’ve had a PR at every game this year, and won a few events.

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but do you have any tips for Zerchers? I’m currently running starting strength using zerchers instead of back squats (no rack) and deadlifting the bar up to the knee to set up. I find the mid-back and hamstrings to be hit the most (except for those awkward moments where the bar drifts out in front and you feel your biceps strain to pull it back in). How vertical is your torso on these? One of my mates does them with a near vertical torso, whereas I think I’m in a position closer to a low bar back squat.[/quote]

I do them in a power rack, with the hooks set just below elbow height, so I just lift the bar out of the hooks, step back a little and go. This is the only exercise that I use the “pussy pad”, and I still have bruised biceps and forearms after. I usually stay pretty upright when I do them, and I don’t end up quite as deep as on other squats because my elbows eventually contact my thighs (still pretty deep though). When I fail an attempt, it is usually from the holding/carrying the bar. When my arm grip on the bar starts to go, it gets really unstable and starts wobbling, and I usually can’t get out of the hole like that. The grip is the hardest part IMO. I get cramps in my biceps pretty often when doing them, and sometimes when I clasp my hands together, I will torque the shit out of one of my wrists. Definitly all about ignoring the pain!

Definitely, I’m using a towel wrapped around the middle of the bar. I made the mistake of using just the bar the first time I tried them and my forearms bruised up something fierce. I’m actually finding it easier to reset on the legs between each rep making it more of a concentric movement, I usually rep out my first 3 then reset for the 4th and 5th. I’ll try to stay more upright with them and see what happens. Got to say they really are a bitch, but that’s probably why I like them.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
UpChucker wrote:

sportkilt.com for good cheap kilts to throw in. I am swedish and have 3 different kilts. I use my USAF tartan for comps.

Hey, I know you.[/quote]

Where do you know me from? I have never been to India…LOL

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:

Haha, I saw that video a while ago. That was the sickest sound ever. Hope your recovery is going well.[/quote]

Rehab is going okay…took me 7 months to get back in the gym and only started rehabbing the leg earlier this year. I have a long way to go still. Braemar stone feels good and I am “walking thru” a double spin with the 28 but not going anywhere near 100%. Just trying to get confidence and make sure nothing hurts or gets hurt. Height events dont seem to bother it much and I can still pick a caber no problem, just cant get much forward momentum going.

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
Fishdog70 wrote:

Fishdog

Max Effort Upper Body
Dynamic Lower Body
Rep. Upper
Max Effort Lower

In season, I usually replace the Rep. Upper with a Dynamic or Speed-focused Upper day. So, you end up with 2 days going for max strength, 2 days working on speed and explosiveness. To train the WOB, I do DB swings with a super-max weight, like 80 or 85. I think that’s the closest way in the gym to simulate the amount of force that the throw creates. The ME Lower day is really the peak day for the week. The most taxing, but I think the most gains-producing. Right now my main ME Lower exercise is Zercher squats, working up to 3RM. I’ll be skipping that this week because I have a games on Saturday, so I will need to be fresh and recovered to throw. I’ll do throwing drills on an off day, always with the 28#. I find the 56# to be too taxing and makes it hard to recover if you throw it a bunch in between lifting days. This plan has been working out for me, I’ve had a PR at every game this year, and won a few events.[/quote]

Thanks for this. I have been gradually adapting from a Sheiko program to a more thrower friendly program as the Sheiko volume is just to high to throw consistently and I get beat up. And when I look at all the throwing sites, people seem to be very vague on their lifting other than pointing out what lifts they do.

Could you elaborate on you program further? Assistance exercises, etc?

Why the Zercher love? I see that highland games athletes seem to love it, but I’ve never got much out of them. Is is for just general strength? Or is it related to the Caber…I can see that? What about olympic lifts? How do you incorporate them?

[quote]redroast wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:
Fishdog70 wrote:

Thanks for this. I have been gradually adapting from a Sheiko program to a more thrower friendly program as the Sheiko volume is just to high to throw consistently and I get beat up. And when I look at all the throwing sites, people seem to be very vague on their lifting other than pointing out what lifts they do.

Why the Zercher love? I see that highland games athletes seem to love it, but I’ve never got much out of them. Is is for just general strength? Or is it related to the Caber…I can see that? What about olympic lifts? How do you incorporate them?
[/quote]

Well for starters go to defrancostraining.com and print out the Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 template. That is the base for what I am doing. On the 2 ME days and the DE Lower day, I pretty much follow it exactly, rotating my exercises every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes I will replace the Rep Upper day with an explosive upper day. My primary exercise might be something like plyo pushups, or speed incline bench. I think incline work really helps with strength for the stones, its almost the exact same plane of motion. As for Zerchers, I like them for a full-body lift. Everything is working hard: legs, back, abs, traps, bis, forearms. I also like it because it is similar to a front squat, but I can put up a bunch more weight on Zerchers. I can actually Zercher more than I back squat, but I attribute this to my history of back injuries. As far as results, I’ve been told by several people that I look like I’ve put on some size, but my weight has been pretty constant, so hopefully I’ve been gaining a bit of lean mass. Also, I had a games on Saturday, and I put up a 4 foot PR in LWFD. Most of that is probably some technique changes I made, but I felt strong all day too.

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
UpChucker wrote:

sportkilt.com for good cheap kilts to throw in. I am swedish and have 3 different kilts. I use my USAF tartan for comps.

Hey, I know you.

Where do you know me from? I have never been to India…LOL
[/quote]

I used to frequent another board…I was in the same group as your wife. I’m Pam from CO!

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
redroast wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:
Fishdog70 wrote:

Well for starters go to defrancostraining.com and print out the Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 template. That is the base for what I am doing. On the 2 ME days and the DE Lower day, I pretty much follow it exactly, rotating my exercises every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes I will replace the Rep Upper day with an explosive upper day. My primary exercise might be something like plyo pushups, or speed incline bench. I think incline work really helps with strength for the stones, its almost the exact same plane of motion. As for Zerchers, I like them for a full-body lift. Everything is working hard: legs, back, abs, traps, bis, forearms. I also like it because it is similar to a front squat, but I can put up a bunch more weight on Zerchers. I can actually Zercher more than I back squat, but I attribute this to my history of back injuries. As far as results, I’ve been told by several people that I look like I’ve put on some size, but my weight has been pretty constant, so hopefully I’ve been gaining a bit of lean mass. Also, I had a games on Saturday, and I put up a 4 foot PR in LWFD. Most of that is probably some technique changes I made, but I felt strong all day too.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. This helps greatly. I think I will incorporate the Zerchers into the work-out as I am getting older and seem to be having more back problems lately. And this seems to me to be a logical approach to a throwers workout (at least for a powerlifter guy). Now if only I could learn how to pick a caber well.

Congrats on the PR. Good job. Keep pullin.

I used to frequent another board…I was in the same group as your wife. I’m Pam from CO![/quote]

I thought that might have been you. You’ve got mail

man i live in Vista CA why did i not hear about the HG going on

after reading this thread I just looked into signing up for my first comp in august. Kilts and throwing heavy sh*t around, sounds pretty cool to me.

The college I went to hosts the Arkansas Scottish Festival and Highland Games every year, always wanted to give this a shot just for something different. What’s a good base of strength as far as gym numbers for a novice competitor, or is there no comparison really? I do a lot of tire throwing and stuff, but they certainly aren’t 56 pounds.

Explosive lifts are the key. Numbers really don’t equate as in a 400# bench equals a 56# 35’ wfd throw. Technique is a big part. Lot of places include the sheaf toss, too. You’ll need the right kinda equipment to practice.

A very good athlete and coach i know used to say “just throw” when we got too obsessed with technical and strength training details, seriously smart advice, HG athletes are strong-ish but it’s skill skill skill game, a pro footballer or strongman, weightlifter, powerlifter olympic shot putter would be lost against them even though much stronger, so it is a strength skill sport, look up ryan viera training on youtube, g’luck, enjoy!

Here is a pic of me throwing the 56# weight for distance yesterday. We just hosted our second highland games in two years. I showed up to my first games ever last year and was asked if I wanted to host one. They are a blast. I have hosted/competed in two in my hometown and another games two years in a row for a total of four so far. The only problem is that there is not a lot of interest in Wyoming, so it is tough to get competitors and to find games that are close in which to compete.

Didn’t find anyone to train with, but am going to the games this saturday with the family - Old Westbury Gardens. Hoping to make some contacts so I can train for next year.

Guess we can keep using this thread to talk highland, if the OP doesn’t object. Southeast, especially the Carolinas and Tennessee, is a hot bed of games. Comes from all the Scots settling down here. Did 3 early in the year and have 3 more lined up. Pretty lucky cause we have a bunch of local guys who compete and 2 orgs within a 100 miles.