Anyone Compete in Highland Games?

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

Pleasanton is invite-only (Pros, A’s and Masters classes only). Fresno is coming up in mid-September too, and that’s a good one for beginners. Also, regarding the kettlebells, I’ve heard of a few guys who used them for throwing and broke the handles off, and those things aren’t cheap. I made some workable implements, but buying the real thing was WAY better.

Yeah, I just mentioned Pleasanton because it’s a great chance to see some of the world’s best throwers compete. I think seeing how the pros throw will be an education in and of itself.

As far as using the kettlebells, I guess I should clarify: I didn’t mean actually throw them, just use them to help practice some of the motions like the weight for distance, weight for height, etc. In my last Games the guy who won the weight for height had never competed before, but was a kettlebell instructor. I guess all those swings paid off. Regardless, as you said, buying the real thing is way better, but it all depends on your level of commitment.

And yeah, don’t throw the 'bells or you’ll be shelling out some serious cash. :-)[/quote]

True, I train for WFH by doing DB swings with a super-max load, like sets of 3-4 swings with 80#, so I could see the KBs being helpful. You could even do WFD spin drills as long as you didn’t release the KB. I built practice weights with some Walmart 10# plates and a steel eyebolt, but about every other time I would practice, the weight would come apart and expolde plates everywhere. Its amazing how much force goes into that weight when it hits the ground. I was breaking 1/2" eyebolts in half. When I upgraded, I got my weights from Old Celt:

Even with shipping from the east coast, he has the best prices.

I just walked up and entered one locally. I sucked but it was fun. I felt like a almost sort of half way knew what I was doing by my third throw on most events but by then you don’t get another shot.

I’ll probably enter the one in Santa Cruz as well for a little more practice before lift4hope.

CT, please wear a kilt. Please.

AngryVader is going to the Pleasanton event, I think.

Kalle I am bummed I won’t be able to go to Phill’s Highland game lift4hope.com event! It’s on Oct. 17th, the same day as my Mud Run but I hope you post pictures.

x2 on Thibs in a kilt, kilts for all men

“heavythrower” as in heavy scottish athletics thrower…

i competed in them for about 3 yearts, after a so-so highscool and college shot put career and similar so-so powerlifting career.

i mad it up to the A division in the incredibly competitive south eastern scottish athletics association.

there are pictures of me in my kilt throwing on my t-page…

[quote]heavythrower wrote:

i competed in them for about 3 yearts, after a so-so highscool and college shot put career and similar so-so powerlifting career.

i mad it up to the A division in the incredibly competitive south eastern scottish athletics association.

there are pictures of me in my kilt throwing on my t-page…[/quote]

[photo]12698[/photo]

You cheated and wore shorts!!! OG will have words for you.

:wink:

[quote]debraD wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

[photo]12698[/photo]

;)[/quote]

Haha, you would see a BUNCH of fat guy penis at the games if we didn’t wear something underneath. Kilts don’t tend to stay down while spinning!

Been competeing for two years and I love the sport.It is the only sport were the guys you complete against tell you how to beat them.I have more fun at the Games then amy sport that I have ever competed in. And of course I look sexy in my kilt!Lift heavy, throw long and have fun.

[quote]debraD wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

[photo]12698[/photo]

;)[/quote]

Well when I watch the guys competing they are all naked in my head anyways. But Heavy Thrower! you gotta match your shorts to your kilt next time!

I did get a response from the local group out here. They have weekly training sessions but are about 90-minuts away. I may see about getting off work early and giving it a try though.

I’ve been thinking about trying this out for a while. Do you know of any clubs in Montana? I’m thinking a guy of my size (5’7", 170 lbs) to be at all successful would have to have really good form. I don’t have a throwing background, so practicing with someone else more experienced would be good. When I was in track I did middle and long distance events.

OG ther are a few guys in the over 35 who throw and compete,

HeavyThrower, who already posted, and Hel320, and a few more,

the crazy thing is these guys gym lifts are sick- in college
track and field (more so the field) owned football in the weight room.

kmc

I am going to post the link for the Vista, California group. The bummer for me is that their workouts are on Sunday mornings and I work the weekends.

www.scottishthrowing.com

[quote]Yosh wrote:
I’ve been thinking about trying this out for a while. Do you know of any clubs in Montana? I’m thinking a guy of my size (5’7", 170 lbs) to be at all successful would have to have really good form. I don’t have a throwing background, so practicing with someone else more experienced would be good. When I was in track I did middle and long distance events.[/quote]

Some of the Midwest-area games do have a lightweight class (under 190 lbs). I train with Larry Brock (one of the top pros) occasionally, and he convinced me to cut some weight and compete in the lightweight world championships in Kansas City next year. Usually, west coast games don’t have a lightweight class, so I’ll have to do some traveling to compete at that weight.
In terms of practicing, you could find your local HS or college throwing team and get someone to show you some basics of the shot, which is the same technique as stones. The other events are a bit more unique. Try going to www.nasgaweb.com and searching the database for games near you. They will usually list an email for the athletic director, and he may know who the other competitors in your area are.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I am going to post the link for the Vista, California group. The bummer for me is that their workouts are on Sunday mornings and I work the weekends.

www.scottishthrowing.com[/quote]

You could probably find someone from that group who would practice with you during the week.

Start doing zerchers.

Very first place you need to look is on NASGA. North American Scottish Games Association and www.nasgaweb.com. It is the most comprehensive site on the web. The two most unique events the caber and the sheaf. I am in Illinois and still have two planned games Sept 26 and Oct 19 and my season started in March.

Wow, HG Thrower you come all the way out to Kansas City for the games? That’s quite a trip.

I’ve just recently gotten into the Highland Games. I trained all last year with some throwers here in St. Louis. I started throwing this year and am currently competing in the A class (won both C and B divisions before moving up). I would be throwing again this weekend if I hadn’t pulled something in my back two weeks ago. I’ll just have to rest up and train like crazy over the winter for next year.

What kind of lifting routine do you follow to train for the games HG Thrower? Obviously throwing around the 56 isn’t feasible in a commercial gym. Do you just stick to explosive lifts (snatch, push press, ect.) or do you have some lifts that are closer to the movements used in the games?

Fishdog

The pic is me at the Quad Cities games last month.

I threw for a year in 2007 and qualified for the A’s and then shattered my tibia the next day trying Scottish Backhold Wrestling. (video of me throwing and one of me breaking my leg is on youtube…just search for “jerome adams” and they will come up). Have just started back throwing a little and testing the waters, hoping to compete next year (want to drop to 190 and do some LW games)

sportkilt.com for good cheap kilts to throw in. I am swedish and have 3 different kilts. I use my USAF tartan for comps.

[quote]Fishdog70 wrote:

Wow, HG Thrower you come all the way out to Kansas City for the games? That’s quite a trip.

I’ve just recently gotten into the Highland Games. I trained all last year with some throwers here in St. Louis. I started throwing this year and am currently competing in the A class (won both C and B divisions before moving up). I would be throwing again this weekend if I hadn’t pulled something in my back two weeks ago. I’ll just have to rest up and train like crazy over the winter for next year.

What kind of lifting routine do you follow to train for the games HG Thrower? Obviously throwing around the 56 isn’t feasible in a commercial gym. Do you just stick to explosive lifts (snatch, push press, ect.) or do you have some lifts that are closer to the movements used in the games?

Fishdog

The pic is me at the Quad Cities games last month.

[/quote]

Actually, in the gym I try to train in the general plane of the throws, but mostly just work on being stronger and more explosive. I’ve been getting good results with a modified WS4SB template. So, typically it is:
Max Effort Upper Body
Dynamic Lower Body
Rep. Upper
Max Effort Lower

In season, I usually replace the Rep. Upper with a Dynamic or Speed-focused Upper day. So, you end up with 2 days going for max strength, 2 days working on speed and explosiveness. To train the WOB, I do DB swings with a super-max weight, like 80 or 85. I think that’s the closest way in the gym to simulate the amount of force that the throw creates. The ME Lower day is really the peak day for the week. The most taxing, but I think the most gains-producing. Right now my main ME Lower exercise is Zercher squats, working up to 3RM. I’ll be skipping that this week because I have a games on Saturday, so I will need to be fresh and recovered to throw. I’ll do throwing drills on an off day, always with the 28#. I find the 56# to be too taxing and makes it hard to recover if you throw it a bunch in between lifting days. This plan has been working out for me, I’ve had a PR at every game this year, and won a few events.