Anti Depressants and Antidiuretic Hormone

Looking for anyone who is on antidepressants or tried them and had noticeable water weight gain or muscle cramping from hyponatremia.

Specifically Wellbutrin - looking for feedback from anyone who is on this and how it has affected their lifts, bodyweight, etc…

I’m on the max dosage of Wellbutrin, but I’m also on Abilify. I’ve gained a shit ton of weight since I’ve been on them. Diet down and as soon as I let up it piles back on (like 20 lbs. a month).

[quote]doogie wrote:
I’m on the max dosage of Wellbutrin, but I’m also on Abilify. I’ve gained a shit ton of weight since I’ve been on them. Diet down and as soon as I let up it piles back on (like 20 lbs. a month). [/quote]

Holy crap - what is the max dose? 450mg? is it the SR or XL?

450 mg of the XL

Beth all the SSRI and SSNRI affect people different.

Maybe you need to switch.

Doug it still better than the effexxor :slight_smile:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Doug it still better than the effexxor :slight_smile: [/quote]

Hell yes it is. Not being able to even beat off does NOT help depression.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I understand that. I’d like to know if there’s a connection between inappropriate ADH secretion and NDRI’s. I know there’s definitely a connection between ADH and SSRI/SNRI.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I understand that. I’d like to know if there’s a connection between inappropriate ADH secretion and NDRI’s. I know there’s definitely a connection between ADH and SSRI/SNRI.[/quote]

Sorry Beth, dont know. Been out of real medicine for to long and I am to lazy to look it up.

I wasn’t lifting at the point when I used Wellbutrin. For me, it affected libido, but otherwise no noticeable effects.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I understand that. I’d like to know if there’s a connection between inappropriate ADH secretion and NDRI’s. I know there’s definitely a connection between ADH and SSRI/SNRI.[/quote]

Sorry Beth, dont know. Been out of real medicine for to long and I am to lazy to look it up.[/quote]

I’ve looked it up extensively, just want to see if there is any real life experience out there.

I was on an SSRI, Celexa for about 4 years, Low dose at about 40 mg, no real water retention though, changes in libido and sexual function, drowsiness, and blunting in emotional range were most notable to me. Oddly enough even on celexa and gabapentin which are both known for weight gain I still had a hard time gaining weight and keeping it on, I was also incredibly lean while on both and it worked fine.

I did have some strange issues with body heat and stuff which I believe was a side effect of the endocrine system…

I would definitely look into some other options before jumping on meds though, Mindfulness, DBT, and CBT therapy can give you all the tools you need without the meds. I weaned off both meds while treating my anxiety with CBT and mindfulness and it still worked great regardless of withdrawals.

Why is it that in these presumably enlightened days, where we do things so much better than ever before, people stuff themselves with anti anxiety and antidepression medication?

I am not saying there is anything wrong about them or that they are not needed now but we kind of managed without them, did we not?

[quote]orion wrote:
Why is it that in these presumably enlightened days, where we do things so much better than ever before, people stuff themselves with anti anxiety and antidepression medication?

I am not saying there is anything wrong about them or that they are not needed now but we kind of managed without them, did we not?[/quote]

It’s because we’re trying to figure out life without organized religion.

I say that in jest, but there’s probably a fair amount of truth in that statement.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

I am not saying there is anything wrong about them or that they are not needed now but we kind of managed without them, did we not?[/quote]

I say that in jest, but there’s probably a fair amount of truth in that statement.[/quote]

Its almost as if a sense of community and purpose and commonly held mores that held it all together…

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

I say that in jest, but there’s probably a fair amount of truth in that statement.[/quote]

Its almost as if a sense of community and purpose and commonly held mores that held it all together…[/quote]

Yeah, that.

I know some people really struggle with depression and don’t hate or think poorly of anyone who has to be medicated.

For me though I have had shitty times and good times, I just feel that is part of life. Never been on any medication for depression and will never if I can help it. To me being depressed is just a natural thing for any human being who lives a fairly long life. Life fucking sucks sometimes. Or maybe I am just on so many other drugs it keeps me perpetually insane =D.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Its almost as if a sense of community and purpose and commonly held mores that held it all together…[/quote]

Yeah, that.[/quote]

Is there any evidence people managed though? At least in recent history you might be able to identify alcohol abuse, tobacco addiction and other ‘vices’ as tools people have used to self-medicate. I don’t know if it’s measurable though. Back in the day you could be a violent depressive psycho and beat your wife and kids regularly and not be forced to get your head examined. But if you were frigid you might be sent to a shrink in no time =o

To put a little context, I’ve been diagnosed with major depression by three different professionals, and dysthymia by a fourth.

It is a very real thing, and I’ve had some very dark times. However, I’m of the opinion that certain aspects of that could really have been mitigated by better social structures.

While a certain part of it is definitely chemical, insufficient socialization and a sense of purposelessness seem to be very strong forces in creating and maintaining the worse of the depressive states. Getting out and around more people, building acquaintances, if not even friendships, and just remembering why the hell I’m actually where I am in life, and why I got here… so, figuring out the things that actually drive me and have driven me… helped a lot more than any medication or therapy ever did.

And when I slip up on that, stuff gets worse.

Historically, I think that religion (and their associated communities) in the west, and extended family structures in the east, played an important role in providing both purpose and social structures to effectively mitigate a lot of the worst parts of pre-existing depression.

But, we’ve broken that in the US especially, pride ourselves on it, and then medicate to deal with it. I don’t think there’s any more or less depressed people than there ever were, percentage-wise, just that the severity of that depression is worse because we broke some essential social fabric along the lines.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
I know some people really struggle with depression and don’t hate or think poorly of anyone who has to be medicated.

For me though I have had shitty times and good times, I just feel that is part of life. Never been on any medication for depression and will never if I can help it. To me being depressed is just a natural thing for any human being who lives a fairly long life. Life fucking sucks sometimes. Or maybe I am just on so many other drugs it keeps me perpetually insane =D.[/quote]

Normal upset, sad, angry reactions to unsettling life events is a normal part of human behavior and should be expected. This inst Depression in the clinical / medical sense.

Over-reactions to these events, or smaller inconsequential events, or no events at all is not normal. Suicidal Ideations, feelings of extreme guilt, anxiety and being unable to perform normal run of the mill activities is depression and is not natural nor should it be part of life.

Being Depressed is not being sad, its like equating the common cold to pneumonia, there might be some basic similarities but the latter is definitely not going to go away with sleep and chicken soup.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

For me though I have had shitty times and good times, I just feel that is part of life. Never been on any medication for depression and will never if I can help it. To me being depressed is just a natural thing for any human being who lives a fairly long life. Life fucking sucks sometimes. Or maybe I am just on so many other drugs it keeps me perpetually insane =D.[/quote]

Normal upset, sad, angry reactions to unsettling life events is a normal part of human behavior and should be expected. This inst Depression in the clinical / medical sense.

Over-reactions to these events, or smaller inconsequential events, or no events at all is not normal. Suicidal Ideations, feelings of extreme guilt, anxiety and being unable to perform normal run of the mill activities is depression and is not natural nor should it be part of life.

Being Depressed is not being sad, its like equating the common cold to pneumonia, there might be some basic similarities but the latter is definitely not going to go away with sleep and chicken soup.
[/quote]

Oh I know I am not denying some people are affected very differently and more severely.

I am curious though as to why. Why all of a sudden is it so frequently diagnosed and seems like so many are on anti D drugs. I assume for years well since human inception it just went unnoticed. Or either they just dealt with it or perished I assume.