Animal Standards

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Most elite athletes either posses or have the ability to posses a 3x bodyweight squat. I’m sure its just an adjunct of their training. Not a specific goal.
[/quote]

I would agree with that, I would like to think that given the proper motivation, training and diet that Lance Armstrong could play in the NFL and Jerome Bettis could win the Tour De France.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
I saw some guy in the gym today doing rack pulls with 8 plates(a side)…that was pretty frickin Animal to me.[/quote]

Well I’m up to 6 for doubles… hopefully up to 8 in a year or so.

[quote]giff07 wrote:
I would agree with that, I would like to think that given the proper motivation, training and diet that Lance Armstrong could play in the NFL and Jerome Bettis could win the Tour De France.
[/quote]

What are you some sort of idiot? Of course Lance coule play in the NFL, one play, then he’d be broken. And there is NO WAY Jerome Bettis would EVER win the tour de france.

[quote]giff07 wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
Most elite athletes either posses or have the ability to posses a 3x bodyweight squat. I’m sure its just an adjunct of their training. Not a specific goal.

[/quote]

That might’ve been the single dumbest thing I’ve ever heard…

And Xen, I was just messing with you, I knew what you meant.

As far as an athlete ever being too strong, I am of the opinion that in the absence of other variables, getting stronger will ALWAYS benefit you. However, this doesn’t mean that an athlete should always (or ever) focus on building a big squat. In the example of a sprinter, if that sprinter focuses too heavily on maximal strength, he will teach his body to hold on to tension way too long. Maximal speed running is essentially an isometric contraction that is released in miliseconds. I think this is why studies have shown that the development of absolute strength can be detrimental to speed development- not because absolute strength inhibits speed, but because how it is trained for inhibits speed.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
As far as an athlete ever being too strong, I am of the opinion that in the absence of other variables, getting stronger will ALWAYS benefit you. However, this doesn’t mean that an athlete should always (or ever) focus on building a big squat. In the example of a sprinter, if that sprinter focuses too heavily on maximal strength, he will teach his body to hold on to tension way too long. Maximal speed running is essentially an isometric contraction that is released in miliseconds. I think this is why studies have shown that the development of absolute strength can be detrimental to speed development- not because absolute strength inhibits speed, but because how it is trained for inhibits speed.[/quote]

Now why can’t we have more posts like this?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
I saw some guy in the gym today doing rack pulls with 8 plates(a side)…that was pretty frickin Animal to me.

Well I’m up to 6 for doubles… hopefully up to 8 in a year or so.[/quote]

You’re rack pulling 585 pounds at 185 pounds for doubles? That’s pretty nuts.

Not a complete list, just some to consider…

• 3x BW squat
  • OH Squat BW 15x
  • OH Press 1.5x BW
  • Power clean 2.2x bw
  • Run Twelve 100m sprints with 1 minute rest and no less than a 15% drop off in time between runs.
  • Tabata front squats with 155 without dropping below 12-13 reps
  • Vertical leap above 32inches
  • chin up with 65% BW added
  • 20 to 30 STRICT medium grip pullups

I feel crossfit was/is going in the right direction with this idea, but I’m quite a bit less endurance based.
[/quote]

I think it is unrealistic that anyone could be that good at all things. Crossfit may be well-rounded but it has much, much lower standards from what I can tell.

And what about people who want to weigh more than 150 lbs? Should a 250 lbs man really be expected to powerclean 550 lbs? Can SHW oly lifters even squat clean that much?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
I saw some guy in the gym today doing rack pulls with 8 plates(a side)…that was pretty frickin Animal to me.

Well I’m up to 6 for doubles… hopefully up to 8 in a year or so.[/quote]

He was pulling from three pins up for 6 reps that he made look easy…I’m willing to bet he could’ve gone for ten or more[reps.] the dude was just diesel too, I wanted to go shake his hand, but he’d probably think I was hitting on him or something.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
What are you some sort of idiot? Of course Lance coule play in the NFL, one play, then he’d be broken. And there is NO WAY Jerome Bettis would EVER win the tour de france.[/quote]

First of all, if you read what I said, you would see that I said given the proper motivation, training and diet, both could excel at sports other than their current one, it might be 5 years or more of intense work to be at the top level, and both would have to go through major body changes (Lance would have to put on 50-60 lbs of muscle and Jerome would have to lose like 100lbs to be competetive, but the point was that someone that plays a top level sport could be at the top level of any sport they chose to play. They not only show the athletic ability, but they also have the dedication to diet and training along with the mental toughness to be at the top level of a sport.

I never said it was going to happen and I did pick a drastic example, but I expected a little more maturity in the responses.

[quote]giff07 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
What are you some sort of idiot? Of course Lance coule play in the NFL, one play, then he’d be broken. And there is NO WAY Jerome Bettis would EVER win the tour de france.

First of all, if you read what I said, you would see that I said given the proper motivation, training and diet, both could excel at sports other than their current one, it might be 5 years or more of intense work to be at the top level, and both would have to go through major body changes (Lance would have to put on 50-60 lbs of muscle and Jerome would have to lose like 100lbs to be competetive, but the point was that someone that plays a top level sport could be at the top level of any sport they chose to play. They not only show the athletic ability, but they also have the dedication to diet and training along with the mental toughness to be at the top level of a sport.

I never said it was going to happen and I did pick a drastic example, but I expected a little more maturity in the responses.[/quote]

Ok, I can see Lance playing in the NFL had he gained 50-60 lbs. That is given he gained some hand eye coordination, he said in his book that he sucked at sports that involved balls.

I think jerome bettis was a horrendous example for “winning the tour de france.” Even if he did lose 100 lbs, he still wouldnt have the genetics to win, or IMO even be competitive. He’d be around average weight, but would have way too much of it on his upper body. I also think he doesnt have a high enough VO2 max, (plus, according to that stupid commercial, he has asthma) and I just dont think hes got the physical traits to even be competitive in european stage races. Track racing, maybe considering he can probably throw down some huge numbers.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Well I’m up to 6 for doubles… hopefully up to 8 in a year or so.

He was pulling from three pins up for 6 reps that he made look easy…I’m willing to bet he could’ve gone for ten or more[reps.] the dude was just diesel too, I wanted to go shake his hand, but he’d probably think I was hitting on him or something. [/quote]

Well, mine was with straps, and about 4 inches above my knee. I use them as a trap builder because my traps are pretty strong except arent very big. I’m trying these as a direct form of training for traps, and making them high enough that it doesnt take much hip or knee flexion to actually get it up. I’ll see if I can get a picture next time I do them.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
giff07 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I never said it was going to happen and I did pick a drastic example, but I expected a little more maturity in the responses.

Ok, I can see Lance playing in the NFL had he gained 50-60 lbs. That is given he gained some hand eye coordination, he said in his book that he sucked at sports that involved balls.

I think jerome bettis was a horrendous example for “winning the tour de france.” Even if he did lose 100 lbs, he still wouldnt have the genetics to win, or IMO even be competitive. He’d be around average weight, but would have way too much of it on his upper body. I also think he doesnt have a high enough VO2 max, (plus, according to that stupid commercial, he has asthma) and I just dont think hes got the physical traits to even be competitive in european stage races. Track racing, maybe considering he can probably throw down some huge numbers.[/quote]

Fair enough. And thank you for taking the time to write out an intelligent response.

I doubt there is anyone on this planet who can achieve/maintain all of those records you listed.

• Tabata front squats with 155 without dropping below 12-13 reps
  • Vertical leap above 32inches
  • 20 to 30 STRICT medium grip pullups

The above are the one’s no one really seemed to have a problem with.

Edited this one for the big boys:

• chin up with above a combined 250#

Instead of a 3x bw squat

Lets say:
20 pistols (single leg gymnastic type squats).

Instead of an 1.5x overhead press

how about:
10 Ring Handstand Pushups (or 20 parallette handstand pushups)

Snatching a certain portion of your bodyweight says alot about flexibilty, explosiveness and your ability to recieve force as well.

I’m still going to have to say that 15 reps with body weight in the OHS is a pretty reasonable goal.

It means you can at LEAST squat your bodyweight, at LEAST OH press it, and at LEAST have the endurance to do 15 squats. Lets not even get into how hard it actually is.

FYI, I’m NOT using crossfit to reach any of these goals that’s damn near impossible. (For me)

Maybe accomplish a Planche or Iron cross… i mean they’re ONLY C level gymnast skills (hahahaha)

[quote]Jack Strummer wrote:
I doubt there is anyone on this planet who can achieve/maintain all of those records you listed.[/quote]

• 3x BW squat (check)
  • OH Squat BW 15x
  • OH Press 1.5x BW (check)
  • Power clean 2.2x bw (no)
  • Run Twelve 100m sprints with 1 minute rest and no less than a 15% drop off in time between runs. (check)
  • Tabata front squats with 155 without dropping below 12-13 reps (check)
  • Vertical leap above 32inches (check)
  • chin up with 65% BW added (check)
  • 20 to 30 STRICT medium grip pullups (check)

[quote]Jack Strummer wrote:
I doubt there is anyone on this planet who can achieve/maintain all of those records you listed.[/quote]

Why?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
giff07 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I think jerome bettis was a horrendous example for “winning the tour de france.” Even if he did lose 100 lbs, he still wouldnt have the genetics to win, or IMO even be competitive. He’d be around average weight, but would have way too much of it on his upper body. I also think he doesnt have a high enough VO2 max, (plus, according to that stupid commercial, he has asthma) and I just dont think hes got the physical traits to even be competitive in european stage races. Track racing, maybe considering he can probably throw down some huge numbers.[/quote]

What physical attributes has Lance developed that would enable him to compete in a strength/power/speed sport at that high of a level?

Xen Nova, some of the stuff you said you can accomplish is straight-up crazy. Not that I can’t achieve that eventually, but the time necessary for that for me is beyond what I can make time for. At 215+ lbs, that shit is crazy to even imagine training up to. In fact, that would have to be my main goal, and i’d have to be even more dedicated that I am right now to even hit that.

A 2x bw clean? Are you kidding me? A 425 lb clean? Are steroids a factor here? 3x bw squat. We’re talking at least a 635 lb squat. That’s a LOT of squat specific training. I’ll get back to you in about 5 years, provided that I have lots of time to train that. I mean, I AM getting back to the Conjugated Method of training after about a year off due to workload and encroachment on my time due to dumbasses doing dumbass crap at work. But, that’s neither here nor there.

Amazing stuff you threw up there. Bravo! I’m really impressed. If I can someday develope that level of training in myself, I’ll die a happy man, and be mighty proud that I could accomplish that, let alone maintain it without drugs.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Well, mine was with straps, and about 4 inches above my knee. I use them as a trap builder because my traps are pretty strong except arent very big. I’m trying these as a direct form of training for traps, and making them high enough that it doesnt take much hip or knee flexion to actually get it up. I’ll see if I can get a picture next time I do them.
[/quote]

Sorry man, I didn’t mean to make it seem like I was comparing your lifts to his, six plates is more than I’m using right now(of course I don’t use pussy-ass straps =) I was just trying to convey how strong this guy was. It was pretty shocking to see anyone else doing pulls in our gym, let alone someone throwing around weight like that cause our gym is pretty bad; student gym with lots of curling in the squat rack going on. I never did find out who he was, but since it was around Pro Bowl time I’m assuming some sort of S&C guy that was here on vacation.

I’m impressed by anyone that can get an iron cross going, I tried once and almost pulled my shoulder out of its socket as I fell