Anabolic Diet

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
conorh wrote:
I know I far exceed the 30 grams the good doctor reccomends, and I think it hit me hard on this first weekend carb up. I didn’t respond to it very well, ate too much trash and ballooned up over night. I’ll definitely be doing one of two things:

1. cutting out my veggies and dropping closer to 30 grams a day of carbs M-F

2. Dropping the weekend carb ups or at least keeping them to one day a weekend with no trash food. The temptation is so great…

I’m leaning towards number two right now.

Another question. How is the best way to use the carb ups? Do you train while doing them? Or do you wait until after and realize some advantage on Monday?

I’ve been doing short conditioning hikes witha 50 pound pack, and I’m considering wether or not to do them during the carb up. Thoughts?

Lean toward doing both, bro. You MUST get the carbos down to that mark to really benefit. Otherwise you’re in dietary purgatory and you’ll never achieve your goal. Keep the carb load clean for 75-80% and then add some deserts for the reaminder. Keep it to a max of 36 hours. I do Friday at noon to Saturday night. Makes the weekend free and easy and then on Sunday’s I’m usually home to grill or cook more so this is a low carb day. Friday and Saturday nights work well for me for pizza & euchre or going out to eat. Also takes away the need to cook much so you have more free time.

BINO:

Get the Anabolic Solution by Di Pasquale. It’s the revamped version of the AD. But I still prefer the original for bodybuilding. Down and dirty and to the point without any fluff or supplement advertisements.

best of luck to all,
DH[/quote]

Disc Hoss, you know your stuff, and you seem quite adamant about sticking to <30 grams carb, so I’m wondering why that is. What is the huge difference between 100g v. 30g per day? T-Dawg 2 uses 100g and seems to be good for a lot of people. Is just a matter of degree of success, ie, the results will be markedly better, or that the weekend load up won’t work, or…

Just ordered Anabolic Solution. I’ll do what I can to get close in the mean time.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Disc Hoss,

If I am correct in assuming I don’t have to count fiber, than here’s where my carbs come from currently:

pineapple juice post workout 33 grams

california blend mixed vegetables 10-15 grams

a few grams from Grow!

a few grams from whole eggs

fiber from whole milled flax

My macros look like fat 55%, protein 30% and carbs 15%.

I don’t want to cut out the eggs, flax or Grow!, so should I keep the pineapple juice and lose the veggies?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Yeah, drop the pineapple juice. All else should stay. Also once you are fully converted to using FA’s for energy, you can eat plenty of broccoli, cauliflour, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, and green beans. Try to get a big variety of veggies for maximum health and nutrient variety. This is important on the AD. Also avoid corn and be easy on peas. These two are higher carb.

For a post workout shake I like using Whey Protein Isolate, a little sugar free jello, 3-4 tbs. of heavy whipping cream. Your body will take the FA’s and get the glucose it needs from the fat and protein eaten. Trust me, stick to the plan as Dr. Di Pasquale laid out.

Also do a search on Rob Faigin and get his “Natural Hormonal Enhancement” book. This and Di Pasquale’s AD are the final and best words on how to do cyclical diets for bodybuilding. You’ll never need another source.

DH

[quote]bino wrote:
Disc Hoss wrote:
conorh wrote:
I know I far exceed the 30 grams the good doctor reccomends, and I think it hit me hard on this first weekend carb up. I didn’t respond to it very well, ate too much trash and ballooned up over night. I’ll definitely be doing one of two things:

1. cutting out my veggies and dropping closer to 30 grams a day of carbs M-F

2. Dropping the weekend carb ups or at least keeping them to one day a weekend with no trash food. The temptation is so great…

I’m leaning towards number two right now.

Another question. How is the best way to use the carb ups? Do you train while doing them? Or do you wait until after and realize some advantage on Monday?

I’ve been doing short conditioning hikes witha 50 pound pack, and I’m considering wether or not to do them during the carb up. Thoughts?

Lean toward doing both, bro. You MUST get the carbos down to that mark to really benefit. Otherwise you’re in dietary purgatory and you’ll never achieve your goal. Keep the carb load clean for 75-80% and then add some deserts for the reaminder. Keep it to a max of 36 hours. I do Friday at noon to Saturday night. Makes the weekend free and easy and then on Sunday’s I’m usually home to grill or cook more so this is a low carb day. Friday and Saturday nights work well for me for pizza & euchre or going out to eat. Also takes away the need to cook much so you have more free time.

BINO:

Get the Anabolic Solution by Di Pasquale. It’s the revamped version of the AD. But I still prefer the original for bodybuilding. Down and dirty and to the point without any fluff or supplement advertisements.

best of luck to all,
DH

Disc Hoss, you know your stuff, and you seem quite adamant about sticking to <30 grams carb, so I’m wondering why that is. What is the huge difference between 100g v. 30g per day? T-Dawg 2 uses 100g and seems to be good for a lot of people. Is just a matter of degree of success, ie, the results will be markedly better, or that the weekend load up won’t work, or…

Just ordered Anabolic Solution. I’ll do what I can to get close in the mean time.

[/quote]

Hey Bino,
The biggest drawbacks to the higher carb content is that it will easily take you 3-5 days to become glycogen depleted to an appreciable level. During this time you are still burining carbs with some fat, but you are still a sugar burner. Not good. You can do alright with multiple hits of carbs for PW’s but only if that is the ONLY time you get any significant carbs. You CANNOT do a load with nickel and dime approach to carbs.

In order to force your body to preferentially burn fatty acids (FA) a certain time frame and carb limit must be adhered to. On the AD, you are riding the carbs from your load on mon, tues, and wed. You are fat burning, but you are siphoning out the carbs too. On thurs and fri, your tank is now low enough to be humming on fats big time. Then, due to this depletion, the carb load can be intense and effective.

Due to the depleted state, your body will selectively shuttle carbs to the liver and muscles and in fact the muscle will be artifically “over stuffed” which triggers anabolic process that cannot otherwise be attained easily. Dr. Di Pasquale has done studies showing that once someone’s metabolism has fully adapted to the AD, they will still burn FAT!! during at least the first 24 hours of the load. This is cool and cannot be attained if you are always in metabolic purgatory by trying to serve two masters via pushing the carbs too high.

I am on a friendly basis with Dr. Di Pasquale and have conversed with him over a few years. Let me give you an answer he gave me once and then I think he may have put it on his site.

DD: BTW recent studies have shown that in fat adapted people, carb loading leads to glycogen supercompensation

DD:The usual rationale to taking in carbs after training is twofold. One to increase insulin levels so that it leads to an increase in the transport and incorporation into muscle and other cells - the overall result is an increase in protein synthesis that occurs in concert with hyperaminoacidemia. The second reason is to rapidly replenish muscle glycogen. These are commendable reasons to take in a load of dietary carbs after training. However this is mostly for the benefit of those who are carb adapted and is not as useful for those who are fat adapted, as in those who are on my macronutrient phase shift diets.

One of the reasons is that when you’re fat adapted insulin doesn’t do exactly the same things as when you’re carb adapted. For example insulin has less of an effect on lipogenesis and on decreasing lipolysis when you’re fat adapted than if you’re carb dependant. Also the presence of fat combined with protein and carbs does not decrease the insulin response or the absorption of amino acids and protein as it does with those who are carb adapted. As such a post training meal has different effects on insulin response and levels when you’re fat adapted. The problem with taking in a lot of carbs post training is that while it increases insulin, something that amino acids and protein can do quite well, it also decreases GH and IGF-I expression.

On the other hand using protein and amino acids to increase insulin also increases GH and IGF-I levels and provides a much more anabolic effect overall while at the same time preserving lipid oxidation post exercise. Also the use of amino acids and fat, with a minimum of carbs post workout, in someone who is fat adapted, besides leading to an increase in insulin (without as much of an adverse effect on fat metabolism - at least for our purposes) and not affecting the absorption of protein and amino acids from the GI tract, it also dramatically increases intramuscular triacylglycerol levels, which is the fat that is first used up with exercise, before blood levels of FFA.

At the same time there is also some increase in glycogen levels, both hepatic and muscular, first of all through the small amounts of carbs that are part of the MRP LoCarb, and more importantly through the gluconeogenic process. promoting mobilization of fat and simultaneously maintaining lean body mass, specifically muscle mass TCA cycle anapleurosis - changes in PDH activation and as such the production of acetyl-coA preventing catabolism of endogenous protein during exercise while maintaining high endogenous utilization of lipid is to provide a dietary source of amino acids.

I depend on the weekend carb up to supply high levels of insulin and a glycogen supercompensation. Basically you can eat what you want but you can’t overdo it because at some point you are going to go past the supercompensation of glycogen (both muscular and hepatic) and intramuscular triaglycerols and start laying down fat and almost halting lipolysis. Fat adaptation will only take you so far and if you overdo it you will increase your body fat. Low resting glycogen per se does not impair the increase in TCAI during moderate exercise. The whole world has been on the carb merrygoround so long that it?s hard to even pause the massive inertia its gained.

Most people feel that carbs before training, during training and after training is the answer to all our exercise woes. For over three decades I?ve been saying the exact opposite. Mainly that the use of carbs anywhere near exercise is counter productive. In the stead of carbs I?ve substituted amino acids and proteins because they can do what carbs do while at the same time maximizing body composition, increasing muscle mass and decreasing body fat. A pointed example of this is my Exersol - the exercise solution. There?s nary a carb to be seen in these formulas. Resolve, the preexercise primer uses a number of ingredients to form a complex synergistically acting formula that shuttles individual amino acids.

Enjoy,
DH

Thanks Disc Hoss, that’s alot fo good info. I’ll be making the suggested changes tomarrow.

How to train on this diet? Is any of the programs from here fine? Should you lift (and/or do your cardio) during the loads or only during the week? (No laziness issue for me, I have unwisely done both 6 days a week.) I plan to go on for a cutting phase, starting at maintenance and moving downwards in calories. Thanks in advance.

in any cutting phase I would say the main limiting factor is your energy levels, while you main concern should be preserving your muscle mass as you shed the fat. As such, a more abbreviated routine such as Chad Waterbury’s Next Big three, or TTT programme may suit best. Don Alessi has also done a series entitled ‘Meltdown’ which I have used before to great effect.

Thanks. What about working out during the load (or not)?

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
How to train on this diet? Is any of the programs from here fine? Should you lift (and/or do your cardio) during the loads or only during the week? (No laziness issue for me, I have unwisely done both 6 days a week.) I plan to go on for a cutting phase, starting at maintenance and moving downwards in calories. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Any way you like really, but there are some advantages to doing your training on the load. For one, you can get a great workout and you can prevent any excessive pigging out from going to fat in the event you go nuts on calories. You’re also training during an anabolic high.

TBT would be great. I’d do the following:

(Assuming a load on Saturday morning until 8pm on Sunday evening. You need to let your gut have a few hours before bed after all these carbs to allow for proper GH release)

Saturday morning: Do the “workout 3” as this ranges anywhere from 12-18 reps depending on what TBT week you are on. Great to really deplete glycogen before the big Carbo Rodeo!

Monday: Do the “workout 1”, which is the heavy day. You’ll be full of carbs and feeling very strong.

Wednesday: Do the “workout 2”. This is the “medium” day and you’ll still have some carbo steam for a good workout.

This allows you to take thurs and friday off and do some cardio (if you so choose) on the days when you are burning the most fat since you’ve cleared much of the glycogen out.

Really, though, you don’t “need” to do it this way. But you most likely will feel like a pile of crud for the first week or two. This is to be expected. Don’t let it discourage you. It’s supposed to bust your nuggets. Just expect it. Once you get your 12 day bootcamp of under 30g of carbs per day, you’ll be on your way to full adaptation.

Start the AD on a monday and go until the second weekend after your start date. This will give you 12 days of hardcore carb depletion to force your body to alter the Krebs cycle with respect to how you utilize energy substrates.

THIS is key. The AD is phenomenal IF you fully adapt to it. Don’t screw around or mix it with Velocity or anything else. Do it right. Doc DiPasquale knows what he’s talking about. After about 4 weeks you’ll notice that your energy is up and your strength is good too. Now you are in business. Oh, and DO NOT eat the “low carb” crap that has the sugar alcohols in it. Many of these do have an effect on insulin and more importantly interfere with proper usage of fatty acids. Be a man, and do the thing right if you want results.

DH

"THIS is key. The AD is phenomenal IF you fully adapt to it. Don’t screw around or mix it with Velocity or anything else. Do it right. Doc DiPasquale knows what he’s talking about. After about 4 weeks you’ll notice that your energy is up and your strength is good too. Now you are in business.

Oh, and DO NOT eat the “low carb” crap that has the sugar alcohols in it. Many of these do have an effect on insulin and more importantly interfere with proper usage of fatty acids. Be a man, and do the thing right if you want results. "

Excellent points. In the book, Dr. P, specifically says, DO NOT MIX DIETS. Stick to 30g of carbs. Personally, I do not count fiber grams. Basically, I have spinach with my eggs, a salad, and maybe some more spinach or broccoli plus the few carbs i get from Low-Carb Grow!. You can eat veg. and stay under 30g…if you do not eat sauces and low carb frankenfoods.

I’ve been lifting for about 10 years. I have tried carbs PW a few times and to me, it makes 0 difference. I’m sure that it does for alot of people, but for me, about 50g/Protein PW is fine.

I am going back on because I’ve gone off the diet and gained weight. Honestly, no diet is better for me for cutting or for maintaining.

The only time I ever f’d the diet up is when I turned the weekend into a free for all. When I stick to mostly (75%) clean carbs and the rest junk, I’m fine. I can eat a pizza or some ice cream if the rest of the time it was non junky carbs.

I also don’t do a full 2 days. Usually, I start friday night after lifting (7pm-ish) and go thru saturday night. Sunday I go back on for the week.

As far as training…train hard. I do not believe that you should train any differently when dieting. Don’t BS yourself that you won’t have energy without the carbs. Because that is, well, bullshit. You’ll have plenty of fat to fuel you. I’d be willing to bet that 99% of you who try the diet will see strength increases.

I will now begin to bestow upon you all some delicious correspondence between Mauro (Dr. DP) below for your education and enjoyment.

Let the games begin:

A. At this point, a little biochemistry lesson may be in order so you can get a better idea of why The Metabolic Diet is superior to the competition. Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) is the source of all metabolic activity in the human body. In order to get the energy the body needs for muscle contraction, breathing, brain cell function and virtually all other activities, ATP must be generated. People have gotten the idea that you must have the glycogen and the glucose that comes from carbohydrates for the body to produce and replenish ATP and survive. What people don’t understand is that the body can produce glucose without taking in carbs (gluconeogenesis) and that protein and fat can be used to provide energy and replenish ATP. It’s a misconception that you must have large amounts of dietary carbs to function. When carbohydrates make up the bulk of your diet, you basically burn the glucose from the carbs as energy. Glucose enters the bloodstream and it’s either used for immediate energy or stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles. The glucose not stored as glycogen is made into triglycerides (bodyfat). When needed for energy, the stored glycogen is converted back to glucose and used up directly by a cell or transported through the bloodstream to other body cells for conversion and use as energy.

When fat and protein make up more of your diet, you don’t have those large amounts of glycogen or glucose available for energy anymore. Most of your energy will come from the breakdown of free fatty acids in your diet or from the fat stored on your body. As we discussed, some of the energy will come from glucose that is produced from mainly from glycerol (part of our body fat) and amino acids (at least on low carb diets). Instead of burning the stored glycogen or glucose for energy, the body burns free fatty acids or triglycerides (the storage form of the free fatty acids) and the glucose that it makes. Basically, a diet high in fat activates the lipolytic (fat burning) enzymes in your body and decreases the activity of the lipogenic (fat prooducing) enzymes. Dietary free fatty acids and triglycerides become the body’s main energy source. The triglycerides are broken down to free fatty acids and then ketones, a source that can be used for energy by body cells. In short, the free fatty acids and ketones take the place of glucose and the triglycerides act like glycogen. When carbs are the main form of energy to the body, the body produces insulin to process it and store it. This is all well and good but one of the problems with insulin is that it activates the lipogenic (fat producing) enzymes on the body and decreases the activity of the lipolytic (fat burning) enzymes. What this leads to is an increased storing of body fat and a decrease in the amount of stored fat that will be burned. The exact opposite occurs on the higher fat/lower carb diet. After undergoing the “metabolic shift” from being a carb-burning machine to a fat-burner, lipogenesis (the production and laying down of fat on the body) decreases, and lipolysis (the burning of both dietary and bodyfat for energy) increases. You’re burning fat as your primary fuel, and instead of using glycogen or breaking down precious protein, you’ll burn off the fat on your body for energy as needed. This can have a big effect on overall bodyfat, and research has now begun to document the fact that while on a higher fat low carb diet, weight loss is due to the almost exclusive loss of bodyfat. In one study of ideal-weight human subjects, it was found that higher fat diets were accompanied by a very strong lipolytic (fat-burning) effect. In another study focusing on obese subjects, it was found that, when offered high carb/relatively low fat diets or low carb/relatively higher fat diets, the subjects on the lower carb diets lost significantly more fat. Though prevailing wisdom would predict that the higher fat diet would simply make people fatter, they actually lost more weight on the higher fat diet. It may sound crazy, but that’s the way the body works. Contrary to what most people believe fat oxidation is regulated primarily by carbohydrate intake rather than by fat intake. Once you’ve adapted to a higher fat/low carb diet, fat does not fat. Despite what you’ve been told, a properly designed higher fat/lower carb diet doesn’t put fat on. It takes fat off. Similar results have occurred in animal studies. Meanwhile, I’ve seen and heard of the positive effects of a high-fat diet time and time again both in my own practice, and from countless others who have tried it. The fat melts away. At the same time, as a bonus, body tone can be improved markedly thanks to the “protein protecting” nature of the diet.

Good post IL Cazzo.

DH

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
"THIS is key. The AD is phenomenal IF you fully adapt to it. Don’t screw around or mix it with Velocity or anything else. Do it right. Doc DiPasquale knows what he’s talking about. After about 4 weeks you’ll notice that your energy is up and your strength is good too. Now you are in business.

Oh, and DO NOT eat the “low carb” crap that has the sugar alcohols in it. Many of these do have an effect on insulin and more importantly interfere with proper usage of fatty acids. Be a man, and do the thing right if you want results. "

Excellent points. In the book, Dr. P, specifically says, DO NOT MIX DIETS. Stick to 30g of carbs. Personally, I do not count fiber grams. Basically, I have spinach with my eggs, a salad, and maybe some more spinach or broccoli plus the few carbs i get from Low-Carb Grow!. You can eat veg. and stay under 30g…if you do not eat sauces and low carb frankenfoods.

I’ve been lifting for about 10 years. I have tried carbs PW a few times and to me, it makes 0 difference. I’m sure that it does for alot of people, but for me, about 50g/Protein PW is fine.

I am going back on because I’ve gone off the diet and gained weight. Honestly, no diet is better for me for cutting or for maintaining.

The only time I ever f’d the diet up is when I turned the weekend into a free for all. When I stick to mostly (75%) clean carbs and the rest junk, I’m fine. I can eat a pizza or some ice cream if the rest of the time it was non junky carbs.

I also don’t do a full 2 days. Usually, I start friday night after lifting (7pm-ish) and go thru saturday night. Sunday I go back on for the week.

As far as training…train hard. I do not believe that you should train any differently when dieting. Don’t BS yourself that you won’t have energy without the carbs. Because that is, well, bullshit. You’ll have plenty of fat to fuel you. I’d be willing to bet that 99% of you who try the diet will see strength increases.

[/quote]