Anabolic Diet

I’m looking for experiences, opinions etc on the Anabolic Diet, (see “eat like a man” article).

I quite fancy trying it, but have a couple of reservations - mostly concerning post wo nutrition. Any help would be much appreciated…

I think a lot of people have success with these types of diets. I used it for a while and lost some fat, but I didn’t really do the weekends right.

If you have a real job, and like to party on the weekends I think its a good way to keep some fat off.

got_Beer?

If you’re looking for an Anabolic type of diet but with post workout nutrition, read the T-Dawg 2.0. That’s basically what it is. A search will bring it up on this site, or scroll the archives.

[quote]juninho wrote:
I quite fancy trying it, but have a couple of reservations - mostly concerning post wo nutrition. Any help would be much appreciated…[/quote]

There is a ton of information on this site regarding PWO nutrition. I suggest you head over to the articles section and start reading.

Disc Hoss has been using the diet for a while and loves it. I started it this week and I’m loving it so far. I respond well to low carb diets, and I’m feeling good at the moment.

Besides, there is nothing better than being at a corporate breakfast eating steak, bacon and eggs by the pound, and then telling people that you are on a diet.

Thats basically how I’m eating right now, but I do cheat and have more carbs than the good Dr. directs. Bear in mind they’re good carbs, periworkout drink, a midday apple, flax seeds and vegetables. I still get just under a hundred grams a day, which I don’t think is too much.

I’m also proud, I eat eggs every meal of the day, except periworkout, at this rate it’ll be about 5 dozen a week.

Anyway, just my two cents. If I fall flat on my face eating like this I’ll let yall know.

I’m finishing up week 5 and I’ve lost 11 pounds. 8lbs of fat and 3lbs of muscle. Is that too much muscle loss for a low carb diet?

thanks for the responses. Has anyone used this diet as a means of gaining muscle mass or have you mainly used it for cutting? I have used low carb diets before for cutting to good effect, but have only just properly read the anabolic diet articles, and was interested in trying all 3 cycles of it, (maintenance, bulking, cutting).

I used it w/ great success for losing fat. Follow the anabolic diet to the T as DiPasquale recommends for at least 3 weeks.

If you’re not satified, then move on to T-dawg.

This is a great way to eat. I’m doing it right now and have done it various times over the past 7 years or so. For me it works wonders. Need a little cutting and it works like a charm. For maintaining/gaining muscle there is no better diet.

Example: I started this latest phase 4 weeks ago. Bdywt. 195. Bodyfat-Don’t know(Fat!)no cuts.

Yesterday: Bdywt. 189, strength up, abs poking through, some serratus showing, don’t look like Buddha anymore!

Beware though, I have seen at least 6 people/workout partners try this very diet and quit after only 8-10 days. There is a ‘break in’ phase during which time you will feel very out of sorts. This is common and expected. I believe it’s about 2 weeks before your body makes the shift so be aware of that.

Barry

You’re eating 100g a day??? The Dr recommends 30g max unless you have real trouble with low carb, hence why the weekend carb out works soooooooo well. 100g is pretty high mate.

Staight up Massif!!

Do the diet properly and you won’t be dissapointed. Its essential that carbs are below 30 for this to work. You’ll not get the large rebound and you will not have depleted your muscle and liver enough to not gain fat on the loading period if you do not keep this strict. This is most important when trying to gain muscle without fat. If cals are lower for cutting then carbs can hit 40 or so.

Biggest screwups:

  1. Not counting every form of food or drink or sauce that goes into your mouth. Hidden carbsa are everywhere. If you don’t know 100% what is going into your mouth, then don’t eat it.

  2. Too long on the carb loads. Most do well with 24-36 hours. Rare person indeed who can tolerate the full 48 hours. Especially when you really are looking forward to a food frenzy.

  3. All junk food on the loads. Follow the advice of eating clean carbs for about 3/4 of your food. Then enjoy the “trash” for the other 25%.

It’s awesome. Best gains of my life. Mind blowing pumps.

As far as P/W. Just take some whey protein isolate and some (about 10-12g of glucose/dextrose) after your workout. This is enough to get an insulin response. Add a few grams of BCAA’s, especially Leucine, and you have a strong insulin kick without the carbs. Carbs are NOT necessary, dude.

Disc Hoss

Juninho,

I have been on the Anabolic Diet for about 10 years now and my blood test levels have been generally fantastic. I have been doing a lot less carb loading because I need to cut some more weight to compete in the 85 kg. weight class for an OL meet on June 25, 2005. However, it is awesome for me because as the book describes, I have a constant energy source as opposed to the swings that I used to have when I was on a higher carb diet. At any rate, I strongly recommend it.

Nick

[quote]mozhne wrote:
This is a great way to eat. I’m doing it right now and have done it various times over the past 7 years or so. For me it works wonders. Need a little cutting and it works like a charm. For maintaining/gaining muscle there is no better diet.

Example: I started this latest phase 4 weeks ago. Bdywt. 195. Bodyfat-Don’t know(Fat!)no cuts.

Yesterday: Bdywt. 189, strength up, abs poking through, some serratus showing, don’t look like Buddha anymore!

Beware though, I have seen at least 6 people/workout partners try this very diet and quit after only 8-10 days. There is a ‘break in’ phase during which time you will feel very out of sorts. This is common and expected. I believe it’s about 2 weeks before your body makes the shift so be aware of that.

Barry[/quote]

Yes, I found that the people w/ the gumption to stick it took 16 days to feel “right.” But, during those 16 days, you start losing fat and a handsome amount of water, all of which contribute to a better appearance. Day 17, you’ll really be rolling.

I bought Dr DePasqual’s book back in '94. At the time I was fresh out of college having run cross country and track for 4 years and taken a year off to “get fat” by my standards. I followed the Anabolic diet to the letter for 12 weeks and went from 180 with a 36" waist to 200 lbs w/ 35" waist. Keep in mind, it was also the first time I’d started lifting for hypertrophy. All my lifting before was purely functional for running.

I have used the diet off and on over the last several years, but recently it hasn’t worked quite as well. Part of the problem is I’m not able to consume enough calories, I’m just not as hungry. When I do go on it, it takes me about 3 days to get through the “fog”, but a little ECA or other stimulant usually gets me through. I would agree with some things that have been mentioned in articles where it’s not a bad thing to get a good spike of sugars right after a workout. Good luck!

By the way…I forgot to add that if you follow the program strictly and carbo load on the weekends you will get some UNREAL pumps on Monday when you workout. I also used to weigh in on Mondays and Fridays just to watch the water weight. I would always come in 5 lbs heavier on Monday and then lose 5-7 through the week, probably all but a pound was water.

Okay, you guys have me interested in trying this program. The book isn’t in print anymore, but I think I have the general program down.

However, I’ve been looking at some numbers, and I’m having a hard time getting fat up to 60% of kcals.

Could some of you post a list of staple foods, some samples of a day’s intake, or other ideas on how to meet the macronutrients prescribed by this diet? Thanks.

I know I far exceed the 30 grams the good doctor reccomends, and I think it hit me hard on this first weekend carb up. I didn’t respond to it very well, ate too much trash and ballooned up over night. I’ll definitely be doing one of two things:

  1. cutting out my veggies and dropping closer to 30 grams a day of carbs M-F

  2. Dropping the weekend carb ups or at least keeping them to one day a weekend with no trash food. The temptation is so great…

I’m leaning towards number two right now.

Another question. How is the best way to use the carb ups? Do you train while doing them? Or do you wait until after and realize some advantage on Monday?

I’ve been doing short conditioning hikes witha 50 pound pack, and I’m considering wether or not to do them during the carb up. Thoughts?

[quote]conorh wrote:
I know I far exceed the 30 grams the good doctor reccomends, and I think it hit me hard on this first weekend carb up. I didn’t respond to it very well, ate too much trash and ballooned up over night. I’ll definitely be doing one of two things:

  1. cutting out my veggies and dropping closer to 30 grams a day of carbs M-F

  2. Dropping the weekend carb ups or at least keeping them to one day a weekend with no trash food. The temptation is so great…

I’m leaning towards number two right now.

Another question. How is the best way to use the carb ups? Do you train while doing them? Or do you wait until after and realize some advantage on Monday?

I’ve been doing short conditioning hikes witha 50 pound pack, and I’m considering wether or not to do them during the carb up. Thoughts?[/quote]

Lean toward doing both, bro. You MUST get the carbos down to that mark to really benefit. Otherwise you’re in dietary purgatory and you’ll never achieve your goal. Keep the carb load clean for 75-80% and then add some deserts for the reaminder. Keep it to a max of 36 hours. I do Friday at noon to Saturday night. Makes the weekend free and easy and then on Sunday’s I’m usually home to grill or cook more so this is a low carb day. Friday and Saturday nights work well for me for pizza & euchre or going out to eat. Also takes away the need to cook much so you have more free time.

BINO:

Get the Anabolic Solution by Di Pasquale. It’s the revamped version of the AD. But I still prefer the original for bodybuilding. Down and dirty and to the point without any fluff or supplement advertisements.

best of luck to all,
DH

Disc Hoss,

If I am correct in assuming I don’t have to count fiber, than here’s where my carbs come from currently:

pineapple juice post workout 33 grams

california blend mixed vegetables 10-15 grams

a few grams from Grow!

a few grams from whole eggs

fiber from whole milled flax

My macros look like fat 55%, protein 30% and carbs 15%.

I don’t want to cut out the eggs, flax or Grow!, so should I keep the pineapple juice and lose the veggies?

Thanks.