Anabolic Diet 2.0

I think you’d be able to get away with 1 scoop SWF pre work out but both Surges would be pushing it…

Then again you could just use them both but it would seem like a bit too many carbs to still be called AD.

(I know, I know Di Pasquale says you can up the carbs)

To lose weight, the book recommends to cut back dietary fat and keep protein the same. So can you gain weight by simply adding more fat and keeping protein the same? Or do you need to also raise protein? I feel like eating protein at those super high levels (+2 grams/lb of bodyweight) is kind of a waste.

[quote]Razamataz wrote:
To lose weight, the book recommends to cut back dietary fat and keep protein the same. So can you gain weight by simply adding more fat and keeping protein the same? Or do you need to also raise protein? I feel like eating protein at those super high levels (+2 grams/lb of bodyweight) is kind of a waste.[/quote]

Its my impression that you manipulate the fat intake depending on your fat loss goals.

[quote]Razamataz wrote:
To lose weight, the book recommends to cut back dietary fat and keep protein the same. So can you gain weight by simply adding more fat and keeping protein the same? Or do you need to also raise protein? I feel like eating protein at those super high levels (+2 grams/lb of bodyweight) is kind of a waste.[/quote]

Note that you only start decreasing dietary fat after you’ve been on the diet for some time. Basically make sure you’re fat adapted first. You can get pretty creative here. I’ve found that cycling fat throughout the week in accordance with training days was effective.

To gain weight raise your calories and stick with the 60-65% fat percentage and the rest will work itself out. You could always cycle calories and fat while gaining weight too.

[quote]JK29 wrote:
I’ve found that cycling fat throughout the week in accordance with training days was effective.
[/quote]

Mind elaborating exactly what you did?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:
I’ve found that cycling fat throughout the week in accordance with training days was effective.
[/quote]

Mind elaborating exactly what you did?[/quote]

Sure thing. It looked something like this [see posted picture].

To further explain: This graph starts on a Sunday. I lift on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. You can see my calories and my fat are up on training days. I start my carb up on Friday afternoons and finish them on Saturdays. NOTE that I am not taking in “o” grams of fat on Saturdays… It’s just how I depict my carb up on my graph there.

Depending on progress you can adjust up or down 200-300 calories per day, but keep the same cyclic nature.

It’s like playing a trick on your body. The fat it’s normally supplied from your high fat days it will take from your body fat on low days. That’s the goal atleast.

EDIT: When reading the graph: Calories are on the primary y-axis and grams of fat are on the secondary y-axis.

Cheers,
JK

Happy Carb Up everyone :smiley: 1st month done, 4th carbup, so far so good!

[quote]wukillabee wrote:
Happy Carb Up everyone :smiley: 1st month done, 4th carbup, so far so good![/quote]

Roger that man, I’m having a killer carb up myself.

Had this before my workout this morning…

Me was 1 bagel with strawberry jelly and 1 cup of apple sauce, then 2hours later i got 2 cups of whole wheat pasta. Just finished my Legs/abs workout. Feel so great. Now im gonna give insulin a spike with some dextrose/malto. Gotta love this diet, espacially during the week end.

However i seems to put on some belly fat. Is this normal during the beg of this diet? Im definately fatter than what i was before starting it. I droped my cal to about 2500 and doesnt seems to lose that fat. I think im gonna cut on fat during the weekend. I was eating a lot of ice cream and butter tart and some sort of junk during my previous carb up, and i definately put on fat instead of losing some. I’ll try to keep my carbs clean too.

In other hand i can CLEARLY see an increase in muscle mass, really. Im very surprised by the results, and that after only a month! Now i gotta get rid of this fucking belly HAHA Any advice on how i should manage my macros?? I just eat the same all week long. Whats your diet? Can you PM me your logs?? I would like to see what you are eating.

My today’s macros are;

39.25 fat / 554 carbs / 172 pro / 2859.25 cal

cal from fat = 12.3%
cal from pro = 24%
cal from carbs = 77.5%

Cheers!

[quote]wukillabee wrote:
Me was 1 bagel with strawberry jelly and 1 cup of apple sauce, then 2hours later i got 2 cups of whole wheat pasta. Just finished my Legs/abs workout. Feel so great. Now im gonna give insulin a spike with some dextrose/malto. Gotta love this diet, espacially during the week end.

However i seems to put on some belly fat. Is this normal during the beg of this diet? Im definately fatter than what i was before starting it. I droped my cal to about 2500 and doesnt seems to lose that fat. I think im gonna cut on fat during the weekend. I was eating a lot of ice cream and butter tart and some sort of junk during my previous carb up, and i definately put on fat instead of losing some. I’ll try to keep my carbs clean too.

In other hand i can CLEARLY see an increase in muscle mass, really. Im very surprised by the results, and that after only a month! Now i gotta get rid of this fucking belly HAHA Any advice on how i should manage my macros?? I just eat the same all week long. Whats your diet? Can you PM me your logs?? I would like to see what you are eating.

My today’s macros are;

39.25 fat / 554 carbs / 172 pro / 2859.25 cal

cal from fat = 12.3%
cal from pro = 24%
cal from carbs = 77.5%

Cheers![/quote]

I think in that time frame that a small amount of fat is acceptable. What were your calories at before you dropped them to 2500? What was your intake before you started this diet?

Hey there! As recommended in the Metabolic Diet book, i was eating 3000cal/day (my bodyweight which is 170lbs x 18). I think i know what the problem is. I was not doing any cardio, at all… I was just pushing weights and this is obviously not enough. I started a home cardio routine 2 days ago and i think it will do the job. Dr D also suggest to cut on cal/dietery fat, and keep protein high to burn body fat and maintain lean mass. As for now, my cal are about 2000-2500 a day and fat mostly come from eggs, olive oil, salmon, almond, cheese, and lean ground beef.

@wukillabee: I personally wouldn’t start cutting dietary fat within the first month of the diet. I would say to maintain this style of dieting for 3-6 months and then start messing with the weekly dietary fat towards the end of your cut. Use it as an Ace card. You also want to make sure that you are fully “fat adapted” before using this trickery.

I would cut out the junk on your weekends. Doing that and simply lowering your weekly calories should get you on the fat loss train.

Did you just drop your calories by 500 cal a day?? IMO that’s too big of a jump. I’d lower them by 200-300 per day per week depending on progress.

Remember: >>> Make Small Changes and Observe. <<<

Just my opinions,
JK

Curious what a sample of yalls daily food intake might be, just for comparison sake. I lean heavily on sausage and pork loins and cheese, because its easy to prepare ahead of time.

I might have eggs and sausage for breakfast
sausage and cheese for my morning and afternoon snack
a meat (pork loin, ribs, steak) and a veg (lately brussels sprouts)
and a similar dinner to lunch.

of course this gets old, but its easy.

also, whats everyones goals from the AD diet? Gain? Lose?
I am hoping to actually gain for once without becoming a fatass. again

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
Curious what a sample of yalls daily food intake might be, just for comparison sake. I lean heavily on sausage and pork loins and cheese, because its easy to prepare ahead of time.

I might have eggs and sausage for breakfast
sausage and cheese for my morning and afternoon snack
a meat (pork loin, ribs, steak) and a veg (lately brussels sprouts)
and a similar dinner to lunch.

of course this gets old, but its easy.

also, whats everyones goals from the AD diet? Gain? Lose?
I am hoping to actually gain for once without becoming a fatass. again[/quote]

What I ate today [Attached]

I generally eat alot of red meat, eggs, and turkey. Coconut Oil is also a staple for me.

I make 4 lbs of jerky a week for during the day snacking. Almonds and hard-boiled eggs also keep me full throughout the day. Lunch is normally either 3/4 to 1 pound of beef, ground turkey, or chicken with cheese.

I just finished up a re-comp period of AD that was based on losing fat and maintaining as much muscle as I could. I’m now happily upping my calories weekly aiming for 0.5 to 1 pound of weight gain a week. I’ll do this for the next 6-8 months. The goal is 17-20 lbs of good gains.

Good luck on your bulk! You should be able to keep the fat off with an AD template. Lots of food though!

Cheers,
JK

[quote]JK29 wrote:

I make 4 lbs of jerky a week for during the day snacking.

[/quote]

I was just talking to my wife this morning about getting her to make some jerky for me for snacks. Got any good recipes to share?

JK, thanks for you imputs. I know you know what you’re talking about. To answer your question, i was first eating 3500cal because someone on another thread told me that i was not eating enough. It was obviously too much for me. I then dropped to 3000 as recommended in the book. Then i gradually dropped to 2800, 2500, and now im about 2300-2600cal/day. It seems to works fine like that. I know im still running on fat because i have my carbs in check and i have plenty of energy. So that mean im fat adapted right? I also started doing cardio and replacing coffe by green tea. All my workouts went good since, i’ve even added weights to my deadlift, bench and military press.

John, my goal on this diet is not to get HUGE (i will never be, im an ectomorph). My goal is more like 180-185lbs, lean, athletic shape, something like George St-Pierre. Im a big fan :smiley: My daily intakes looks something like this:

31 juillet FAT/CARBS/PRO/CAL

1 tbsp butter 4/0/0/35
3 eggs 15/4/18/213
2 bacon 19/0/7/200
2 fish oil 2/0/0/18

1 tbsp butter 4/0/0/35
200g xlean beef 20/0/42/340
1cup green beans 0/4/2/50
mush

Pre/intra shake 0/4/0/23.5

WORKOUT

1 tbsp butter 4/0/0/35
200g xlean beef 20/0/42/340
1cup green beans 0/4/2/50
mush

spinach salad 0/0/0/7
1tbsp olive oil 6.75/0/0/60
30g cheese 11/1/7/130
10g almond 6.25/1/2.25/67.5
salmon (canned) 7/0/20/140
green pepper
celery

casein shake 1/2/24/120
20g almond 11/2.5/4/132
60g cheese 22/2/14/260
3 fish oil 3/0/0/27

Total 156/24.5/184.25/2283

cals from fat: 61.4%
cals from pro: 32.2%
cals from carbs: 4.2%

Im tweaking my diet days after days, weeks after weeks, so this is just a sample of what i ate yesterday. I would normally have another salmon salad to bump the cal to around 2600. Im not eating always the same things (depending on whats on special, xlean beef was on special this week so i bough 20 pounds lol), sometime i will have a steak, chicken tournedos, ham… I try to eat more salmon though, since it is very good on this diet.

Today, I will eat:
1/2 lb Ground Beef (80/20)

Workout

1/2 lb Ground Beef (91/9)
8 Eggs

1/2 lb Ground Beef (91/9)
8 Eggs

8 Eggs
Chicken
I might eat a bunch of nuts if I’m still hungry.

That’s ~400g protein and ~300g fat. Thats ~4300 calories. I’ll eat about 1000 calories less on my off days. I’m just focusing on getting stronger. Later I’m going to try and gain some weight and add some calories.

[quote]johnward82 wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:

I make 4 lbs of jerky a week for during the day snacking.

[/quote]

I was just talking to my wife this morning about getting her to make some jerky for me for snacks. Got any good recipes to share?[/quote]

I actually made a thread the first time I made it. Here it is:

Today I learned the importance of a big carb load. My first weekend, I didn’t eat very many carbs and my workout the following friday was terrible. I had no energy and felt weak. The next weekend I ate lots more carbs and today I had a killer workout. I had tons of energy and hit some PRs. I’m sure part of it is my body learning to store carbs better, but I’m sure all the extra carbs made a difference and I’ll be hitting Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen hard again this weekend.

[quote]Razamataz wrote:
Today I learned the importance of a big carb load. My first weekend, I didn’t eat very many carbs and my workout the following friday was terrible. I had no energy and felt weak. The next weekend I ate lots more carbs and today I had a killer workout. I had tons of energy and hit some PRs. I’m sure part of it is my body learning to store carbs better, but I’m sure all the extra carbs made a difference and I’ll be hitting Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen hard again this weekend.[/quote]

To add to that: I’ve found that I’ve lost more fat on the weeks following a massive carb load. That is when fat loss was the goal of the diet. (Granted most of my carbs come from “cleanish” sources i.e. pastas, rice, whole grains, sushi, etc)

Like your experience, I have found that my workouts are better the week following a gigantic carb load.

After being on this diet for over a year I very rarely suffer from any type of lost energy late in the week. The human body adapts very well. I’ve programmed my training a couple different ways while on AD. At one point in time I had a HIT type training day at the end of the week with no problems. I also frequently have a deadlift/squat day at the end of the week with no lack of intensity or strength.

Cheers,
JK