Advice on Vegetarian Sausages?

I don’t eat farmed meat but do eat fish and wild meat (venison, wild boar etc.). I have been eating Quorn sausages (not sure if you have them in the States) recently but more out of convenience then for any other reason. I now have more time but I do not know how good they are. I am guessing they are rubbish but does anybody fancy giving their more informed opinion on them. The ingredients and nutritional value are in the link here:

if they’re high in protein and fiber they’re probably fine, calories are calories

1 Like

Not flaming you bud- this is untrue though. Nutrition facts don’t convey what your body actually processes with regard to what you eat. Quality of food absolutely matters. It isn’t the be-all, end-all of nutrition, but the order of importance is generally:

1. Calories in, calories out
  2. Macronutrient split
  3. Quality of calories
  4. Timing of calories
    In that order. So while yes, CICO is the first barrier to cross in terms of weight gain or loss, the amount of muscle gained or lost and fat gained or lost is often related to factors other than how many calories you ate.
3 Likes

This “fake meat” stuff is total crap imo. Overly processed, which is not a healthy way to eat. Either eat veggies or eat meat.

If I eat a 1000 calories of potato chips, I feel like crap and I’m still looking for something else to eat. If I eat a 1000 calories of meat/veggies/carbs? -I’m good to rock and roll.

A google search of “mycoprotein”:

What is Quorn Mycoprotein made from?

Mycoprotein is the ingredient common to all Quorn ™ products. It is high in protein, high in fiber, low in saturated fat and contains no cholesterol. Mycoprotein is made in fermenters similar to those found in a brewery. It’s made by adding oxygen, nitrogen, glucose and minerals to a fungus called fusarium venenatum.

Yeah, technically it’s “protein”, but no thanks.

2 Likes

The farts form those vegan products are EPIC.
That is all.

4 Likes

i haven’t looked at my macronutrient split or caloric timing since 2016

1 Like

Not the worst processed foodlike substance you could be eating, especially since it’s not a soy-based meat alternative. Just understand that it’s delivering low quality protein, not the best muscle-building stuff. Other than that, have at it.

To be fair though, you’ve also been dealing with pretty significant digestive issues for a while.

For weight loss, weight gain, and (arguably) performance, basic calories are enough. For fat loss, muscle gain, and health, macros and micros become much more important.

2 Likes

Food choices affect activity level, metabolic rate, performance, inflammation, sleep therefore food choices affect “calories out” in practice and profoundly.

4 Likes

yes! this about sums it up.

I ate a bunch of qourn while I was a vegetarian for over a year. No issues at all. Stayed lean and strong. Way worse things you could be eating

1 Like