A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

Life update.
Barely sleeping these days because baby. No morning walks either. Long hours at work too. A bunch of work and family commitments are preventing me from my typical Friday morning gym session. I will at least get some benching in at home this afternoon.
Too bad, because mon-fri squats are twice as effective as Monday only, I figure.

And before anyone rips my lack of commitment, I have 4 little kids. Literally anything I do for myself is taking time away from my family. That hour from 4-5 am that nobody should care about? Baby’s awake, and I need to be there so my wife can finally sleep. Life is about tradeoffs and lifting isnt priority 1.

Another ramble, I’m stoked about Wednesday’s DL PR but honestly more excited about the dumbbell stuff. It’s new to me, and I think opens up a whole range of both strength and conditioning stimuli that are also fun.

7 Likes

Sorry to read this, but hang in there—you’ve got the right perspective, and you’re in it for the long-haul. It won’t be this way indefinitely.

4 Likes

Putting me to shame in here dude. Still crushing PRs when life gets tough.

3 Likes

Full empathy with the time and family/life commitments! Get in and do what you can as efficiently as you can and don’t stress about what you can’t do. You’re clearly doing it right anyway you’re looking in really decent shape and hitting some great PRs. I think you once said it won’t always be this busy to me - and you’re right there is a natural ebb and flow babies stop waking at silly times (unless you keep having more or have a constant supply…) And older kids become more self sufficient and you get a little more time at some point (or so I’m told!).

Tldr: you’re smashing it on all fronts don’t worry about it (I’ve made great progress in the past on 2x per week total).

4 Likes

Music to my ears mate.

3 Likes

It’s worth reiterating both of these points: couldn’t agree more with the former, and I can attest to the latter. (It might not feel that way now—it didn’t when mine were young—but at some point things will turn a corner!)

3 Likes

Thanks, all you guys - that was encouraging!

1 Like

Pretty sure nobody is thinking this. You been killing it, regardless.

6 Likes

WTF!? Nobody who are even a semi-frequent visitor on this log, would think that. That fact that you manage to follow a structured program and make steady results - while juggling a job with responsibilities, a relationship and no less than 4 kids, speaks volumes of your commitment.

I, for one, are pretty impressed by what I have been seeing here these past months. :+1:

6 Likes

How dare you prioritise raising 4 little humans who rely on you instead of working out… Said no one ever. No one is ripping your lack of commitment, most of us are commending your commitment having your priorities right.

Do you train at home? If not what equipment do you have at home. Perhaps trigger sessions may be something which would work well for you at this point in time?

4 Likes

Mate deff no one questioning your commitment, this is something we do as a hobby it comes after the important stuff. I only trained 2 days a week for more than 2 years due to family and other life commitments, heck @ChongLordUno completely changed his whole training to fit around his life. Do what you have to do mate and just try to keep working hard when you can. The weights will always be there waiting for you.

4 Likes

Thanks again for the outpouring of support.
Indeed, none of you would rip me for laziness, it’s my own inner voice always insisting I’m not working hard enough at SOMETHING.

@hustlinghat93 I typically train MWF at a commercial gym, with occasional bonus work at home. However lately fridays are a clusterfuck and theres less time for bonus work too.

I have:
Barbell and up to 280lb load
Adjustable bench
Rack which I’m ok using for bench, press, or FS, but not for squats
Ceiling high enough to press overhead with

I’m not stuck at home with time on my hands, though. Always on the go; and when home, involved with family stuff and frequently holding the baby. Today I bench pressed while baby watched from his bouncer and 2 other kids sword fighting with foam sticks next to me, lol!

3 Likes

11/19/2021
After work while babysitting:
Bench 5x10 @ 165, felt much too heavy…
Superset an rollouts from knees 5x5

Pullups 30 total, 3 different grips
Empty bar curls, around 50.

Why does bench feel so heavy last few weeks? Arg!

6 Likes

11/20
1 mile walk carrying baby
3 rounds: 20 leg curls, 20 leg extensions, 20 bench press (115).
Nothing crazy, but it’s not nothing! The bench idea is for blood flow because I am sore from yesterday.

6 Likes

11/22/2021 Monday
Squats 7x5@215, 1x10@215
Superset 10x2 db rows, 80lbs

Dumbbell to shoulder, 10 each side, 100 lbs. A bit faster than 1 EMOM

1x10 unweighted BSS

Feeling great.

11 Likes

“finally got 225, but last few weeks bench has “gotten heavier” and I haven’t tried 225 lately; I may not have it today. I’ve definitely not mastered it. I will within the next few weeks/months, after I get the squat.”

I didn’t want to muddy up our friends log as I think he already has more than enough to think about, haha.

I did want to say that I am in the same boat, man. Bench is so touchy for me. You’re well on your way to the squat dude. Just keep plugging away and everything will fall into place, then concentrate on the next one.

Awesome!

4 Likes

How is your body weight? Quickest way to a bigger bench for me is to add weight.

1 Like

I don’t weigh frequently, but it’s on the higher end of the typical range. Abs are not visible anymore, love handles have filled out, and my boy (7yo) grabbed my belly and called it fat a couple days ago (I was sitting down and hunched forward, but still!)

I am aware BW correlates to lifts so have been eating as much good food as possible.

1 Like

11/24/2021
Press:
9 singles at 135, 1 single at 140, E2MOM
superset with 10x3 db rows, 80lbs

Deadlift
5 singles at 335 E2MOM
5 singles at 315 EMOM

Farmers carry
120lb db each hand. Walk, drop, short rest, walk back, drop.

Feeling good about this. Comments later if I have time.

7 Likes

Commentary:
It feels good to work the heavy end of the range. Ok, deadlifts didn’t exactly feel good, but I’m glad I did them.
Have been having a lot of fun with heavy DBs lately, actually having the balls to try challenging weights for farmer’s walks is a good shift for me.
Something is calling me which is a bit more “functional” than the barbell, and this is part of it.

I’m really happy to have mastered pressing 135 - I know that’s old news, but I spent so much time wanting it and now its easy. That’s cool.

7 Likes