52 Blocks. Prison-Inspired Boxing?

robert a i to am sorry my apologies i should have cought it

[quote]westdale warrior wrote:
robert a i to am sorry my apologies i should have cought it[/quote]

No worries, I should learn how to use emoticons. If I ever write something you are unsure about feel free to call me on it.

You guys are far too nice and civil to each other for my liking. I’m going to the politics forum for a bit to attack some fascists and make my balls drop again.

That looks like something out of a bad action movie rather than a useful fighting system.

edit- Or something Roy Jones Jr would have pulled to bait the other guy.

Zab Judah did some bizarre hand movements like that when he got smoked by Mayweather too.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Zab Judah did some bizarre hand movements like that when he got smoked by Mayweather too.[/quote]

Low blow and rabbit punch were 52?

I remember hearing about 52 Blocks about 10 years or so ago. At the time, the only guy talking about it was Dennis Newsome. Newsome helped choreograph some of the fightscenes in Lethal Weapon, he claimed that he taught some of the 52 Blocks techniques to Busey/Gibson for the scene. Newsome also claims that Mike Tyson in his early days used to use elements of 52 Blocks (since Tyson was a thug off of the streets before D’Amato trained him).

During this time, Newsome claimed that 52 Blocks was a secret martial art that had been passed down through the generations by slaves and was only taught to young black men in the ghetto to survive and that it was designed to be used in prison and/or tight spaces. Also, pointed to was fighter Jack Johnson who fought more defensively and claimed to have known 52 Blocks in his earlier forms.

For the record, I never bought into the history that Newsome talked about and thought that 52 Blocks didn’t even exist or was just a bunch of crap. After seeing videos like the first one that was posted, I believe that to be the truer history of the art. Most guys back then had experience as boxers and most trained in boxing, even if it was informally with a dad or uncle. Then the kung fu boom comes along and “everyone was kung fu fighting”, those techniques and ideas were learned from various sources and some of it was included and added to the boxing.

It wasn’t pure boxing anymore and was taught informally (as in not in a school setting) to family and friends on the streets. As the 80’s and 90’s hit, most young guys didn’t learn how to fight anymore and many carried guns with them in that same culture so the skills for the most part have been lost by the wayside. If you look at alot of the stuff out there, it’s older guys that were young and in the scene in the 70’s teaching the stuff so it won’t be lost.

Many people compare the stuff in 52 Blocks to Filipino Boxing or Silat and it does share some similarities with those. Nowadays you can make more money teaching a little known martial art than you can running a boxing gym, so you are seeing more and more people teaching it and selling DVDs.