34 Y/O on TRT. Please Help Interpret Thyroid Results

Thanks for reading. I have read a lot of everyones articles/responses and decided it was time to post my own.

I am 34 y/o 6’4" 224lbs, 15-18% bodyfat if I had to guess (I’ve done BodPOD and InBody in the past an I am basing my estimate on the mirror). I’ve been seriously training again for 3 and a half years. I trained in the Army and then got lazy and started training again at 30 when I saw a picture of myself and realized I had a gut for the first time. I’ve done basic weight training programs, Crossfit for 2 years, and I am now doing an upper/lower 4 day split with 3-4 days of interval/cardio work. I struggled somewhat with strength for the first 3 years and really had to struggle for every 5 pound increase. Since starting TRT my numbers are going up quickly though. Bench 295#, Squat 355#, Deadlift 385#, Strict Press 195#. Still have a ways to go but happy now that the numbers are going up regularly.

My pre TRT was T level was 348. Thats all I have. I went to a men’s clinic. They are not the best. Currently working with my Integrative Health Doc to prescribe TRT.

My current TRT protocol is 70mg/2x week.I started on T cyp 100mg/2x week, HCG 500mg/1 week and Arimidex .5mg/2x wk day after shots. I dropped HCG and AI 3 weeks ago. I dropped the AI because I felt my E was too low after doing a strict diet and losing some body fat. I noticed a serious problem waking up, my knees ached and my morning wood disappeared. The Integrative Health Doc test my Estradiol and it came back 18 pg/ml. Ref 10-40. I dropped the HCG to see if I could control my E2 and water weight with T dose. I will do bloodwork again in a few weeks.

To get to the point, I have always struggled with body fat. It’s very hard to lose and I gain very easily. I have tried everything under the sun diet/training wise to try to see what works and I can’t get below 15%. I have been incredibly strict for many months at a time, weighing and measuring everything I ate and no joy. After reading here I decided to have my thyroid checked. The first test was performed by a Primary Care doc. He only did a cascading result. After seeing my TSH I went to the Integrative Health Doc.

Test results:

4/1/19 Result Ref
TSH 3.30 0.40-4.50 (mIU/L) Cascading reflex.

5/1/19 Result Ref
TSH 3.51 .27-4.20 mU/L
Free T4 1.48 .86-1.76 ng/dL
Free T3 4.23 2.30-4.40 pg/ml
Triiodothyronine, Reverse 23.4 9.0-27.0 ng/dL
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody 11 <9-34 U/ml
Thyroglobulin Antibody <10 <10-115 IU/ml

Other Results:

Cortisol:
Result Ref
Salivary Cortisol 08:00 .185 ug/dL .025-0.600
Salivary Cortisol 12:00 .035 ug/dL <0.010-0.330
Salivary Cortisol 16:00 .032 ug/dL 0.010-0.200
Salivary Cortisol 00:00 <0.010 ug/dL <0.010-0.090

Hemoglobin A1C 4.9% <5.7 . % non diabetic

Estimated Average Glucose = 94 mg/dL
[equation AG= (28.7 x HgbA1c) - 46.7]

Vit D 25-Hydroxy 48.8 30.0-100.0 ng/ml

I also have a Lipid Panel, CBC, and Comprehensive Metabolic panel from 4/1/19 if anyone wants to see them. I’ll have to post pictures though because it’s a lot to type. I had a food sensitivities test done on 5/1/19 and I am avoiding all negative results (90% of the time. It is more difficult than I would have thought. I really have to read every label.)

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Your thyroid numbers generally look okay, although the TSH is a little high.

Reverse T3 should be <15 ng/dL, definitely looks like a thyroid problem.

Any particular hypothyroid symptoms?

I thought that too. My Doc says she is not worried because the ratio of Free T3 to RT3 is still good.

I’ve had chronic fatigue, dry skin, dramatic weight gain (before I began exercising again I gained 50 pounds in less than a year after being tall and lean my whole life, no diet change), and a slow heart rate (my resting heart rate is in the low 50s even when I have been out of shape).

The inability to lose and maintain weight is the most frustrating. I know the first thought is clean up your diet but I’ve done diets under the guidance of nutritionist with 100% compliance and still had trouble.

Thanks for looking.