2 Plates And A Bench Shirt...

So I saw a tiny little guy at my gym today, show off to the other big powerlifter who benching 500 plus, with a lift of two plates with a bench shirt…

I don’t know how this makes me feel…were they just being nice?

Why the fuck would you even buy a benchshirt if you can’t even push 2 raw?

I’m not bullshitting, I really saw this.

never too early to learn how to use gear. Most geared lifters train raw for a majority of the time, but it does take some work to get the hang of gear. Maybe he was like 120lb 14 year old trying to get a head start.

Without knowing the guys weight and age it’s impossible to tell.

Imo there’s nothing wrong with a guy who’s say 60kg using a shirt to push 100.

I’d say he was 130 lbs, completely physically undeveloped, and aging, possibly, 40-50.

He was just small and weakly built, he put up 2 plates on either side.

I guess, we just have different styles of training or reasons for training, but I just don’t see the point at all.

I train to build my physique, not to yank nuts on how much I can put up…especially if it’s with a crutch.

I always just figured you don’t need a bench shirt unless it’s 400 plus, I guess I’m wrong.

Everyone has to start somewhere…

I saw a dad (who obviously had spent at least a few years under the bar) showing his 14-15 135-145 lb son to bench with a shirt on. I think he had 215 on the bar for doubles.

So?

If your gona do equipped powerlifting you can start wearing a bench shirt whenever you want. Just because you use a bench shirt as spart of your training dosn’t mean you have to stop training your raw strength!

Some people seem to think as soon as you but gear on thats it your raw strength is frozen in time lol!

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I guess, we just have different styles of training or reasons for training, but I just don’t see the point at all.

I train to build my physique, not to yank nuts on how much I can put up…especially if it’s with a crutch.
[/quote]

Ah, there it is. A bench shirt is as much of a crutch as a helmet in football or a glove in baseball. This argument has been beaten to death hundreds of times on this very website.

why am I seeing more and more threads in the strength forum that eventually come down to “i train for physique though so blah blah wouldn’t understand blah blah”…

And for an actual response, hopefully he’s just new and learning the shirt early, and using raw full ROM benching on other days/times.

If the guy is trying to powerlift and learn the gear, good for him.

Just b/c someone isn’t setting records doesn’t mean the guy is a jack ass.

I was using bench shirts in high school to hit 175 @ 130 (I don’t think it helped though, lol). You’d be fun of that?

This should be in the “get a life” section.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I’d say he was 130 lbs, completely physically undeveloped, and aging, possibly, 40-50.

I always just figured you don’t need a bench shirt unless it’s 400 plus, I guess I’m wrong.[/quote]

That’s 1.73x his bodyweight, do YOU bench 1.73x your bodyweight?

I doubt he benches 1.73x anyone’s bodyweight

He probably benches 150-170 raw and 225 with the shirt. The guys that bench 450 raw use it to get to 700.

What’s the difference?

[quote]daneq wrote:
I saw a dad (who obviously had spent at least a few years under the bar) showing his 14-15 135-145 lb son to bench with a shirt on. I think he had 215 on the bar for doubles.

So?[/quote]

Completely different situation. Did the kid try showing off to the 500 pound dude afterwards?

Judging from how the OP wrote his post, I’ll take a wild guess and say that the guy has no intention of competing and is most probably not serious about lifting, therefore the shirt is a crutch.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

I always just figured you don’t need a bench shirt unless it’s 400 plus, I guess I’m wrong.[/quote]

Call me weak and physically undeveloped, but I’d kill to be putting up 225 in a shirt at that same weight…

I can’t get over how ridiculous this whole topic is. For a powerlifter, gear is not a “crutch”, but equipment worn for a sport. If you don’t like it, compete raw, or don’t pay any attention to powerlifting at all.

There is no magical weight that you must lift before you “need” gear.

And I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that have no interest in powerlifting but are stupid enough to waste so much time and money on gear just to lift more in the gym. (I would also be willing to bet that anyone who thinks that the average joe would get gear for that reason knows absolutely nothing about how much of a pain in the ass gear really is)

Unless the guy is your training partner, why do you care what he is benching, or how he is doing it? And, why do you care enough to post about it on an internet forum?? It sounds like you are just being incredibly immature.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Guerrero wrote:

I always just figured you don’t need a bench shirt unless it’s 400 plus, I guess I’m wrong.

Call me weak and physically undeveloped, but I’d kill to be putting up 225 in a shirt at that same weight…

I can’t get over how ridiculous this whole topic is. For a powerlifter, gear is not a “crutch”, but equipment worn for a sport. If you don’t like it, compete raw, or don’t pay any attention to powerlifting at all.

There is no magical weight that you must lift before you “need” gear.

And I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that have no interest in powerlifting but are stupid enough to waste so much time and money on gear just to lift more in the gym. (I would also be willing to bet that anyone who thinks that the average joe would get gear for that reason knows absolutely nothing about how much of a pain in the ass gear really is)

Unless the guy is your training partner, why do you care what he is benching, or how he is doing it? And, why do you care enough to post about it on an internet forum?? It sounds like you are just being incredibly immature. [/quote]

I took it as a SRC sort of deal, A guy couldn’t deal with that he had low numbers so he bought a shirt, with no intention of competeing so he wouldn’t look like a pussy. Which, in turn backfired.

I for one, see the hilarity in it.

P.S. No matter how weak you are if you plan on competeing in gear then GO FOR IT. If you’re using a bench shirt as an ego booster in the gym, and for no other reason it’s time for you to give up.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I’d say he was 130 lbs,[/quote]

That’s a good effort then. I hope no-one wonders about my intentions when I put a shirt on to bench 355lb (and that’s a little way off, too).

I have a friend about his weight who suffers Crohn’s Disease. He got into powerlifting to give himself a focus to build his body mass and bone density.

He has an excellent coach who puts him in a bench shirt every now and then to lift that same weight. It’s really no big deal, and as for “crutch”… well I think everyone else has beaten you over the head about that enough already.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I took it as a SRC sort of deal, A guy couldn’t deal with that he had low numbers so he bought a shirt, with no intention of competeing so he wouldn’t look like a pussy. Which, in turn backfired.

P.S. No matter how weak you are if you plan on competeing in gear then GO FOR IT. If you’re using a bench shirt as an ego booster in the gym, and for no other reason it’s time for you to give up.[/quote]

And how do you know that the guy isn’t training for a powerlifting competition?? This entire thread is based on a bunch of assumptions.

If the guy really does only weigh 130, 225 is not that bad. There is a lot of room for improvement. He definitely won’t set any records, or win a bench comp, but I don’t see why this guy deserves to be ridiculed on the internet for it.

The entire thing just sounds like an ego boost for the OP. Or maybe I’m reading things wrong.

If there really are people out there that buy powerlifting gear so that they can look like badasses at Planet Fitness, I pity them and their lack of confidence. But, it’s also sad to think that people will make fun of another lifter that may be genuinely interested in powerlifting and trying his best.

Maybe I’m just really fucking lucky, but I’ve gotten nothing but encouragement from others at my gym…despite the fact that I can’t squat 1/3 of what our big guys do. And thats how it should be. I just don’t see what anyone gains by calling others weak and pathetic.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

P.S. No matter how weak you are if you plan on competeing in gear then GO FOR IT. If you’re using a bench shirt as an ego booster in the gym, and for no other reason it’s time for you to give up.

And how do you know that the guy isn’t training for a powerlifting competition?? This entire thread is based on a bunch of assumptions.

If the guy really does only weigh 130, 225 is not that bad. There is a lot of room for improvement. He definitely won’t set any records, or win a bench comp, but I don’t see why this guy deserves to be ridiculed on the internet for it.

The entire thing just sounds like an ego boost for the OP. Or maybe I’m reading things wrong.

If there really are people out there that buy powerlifting gear so that they can look like badasses at Planet Fitness, I pity them and their lack of confidence. But, it’s also sad to think that people will make fun of another lifter that may be genuinely interested in powerlifting and trying his best.

Maybe I’m just really fucking lucky, but I’ve gotten nothing but encouragement from others at my gym…despite the fact that I can’t squat 1/3 of what our big guys do. And thats how it should be. I just don’t see what anyone gains by calling others weak and pathetic.[/quote]

Fair enough, I was assuming the op knew enough about the guy to believe he was being a fool. I give the quarter squatters, and no legs guys a lot of heat at our gym, but the people who bust ass are there for the same reason I am, and there is typically a lot of mutual respect between non gym-douchebags. Assuming the op’s gym is the same way.