10 Miles Back Again

Still alive mate. Just coughing a lot. I’m most of the way through a course of antibiotics, which isn’t helping as much as you’d hope. Hopefully they’re just leaving it last minute to really kick in and I can start training again next week.

9 Likes

Maybe trying taking them rectally.

5 Likes

Just putting some thoughts down. I’ll try to make this a little less self indulgent than some times.

• I need to remind myself when planning that I’m strong enough. I just am. I need more conditioning and cardio and calisthenics and athleticism and correctives but I keep getting drawn to static exercises designed to increase the only metric I’d give myself a passing grade in. This is silliness.

• I’ve been reading a lot of Mark Twight stuff recently. Awesome guy. Seems to preach that hard work in the basics is the secret. Who knew?

• Speaking of Mark Twight, one of his pupils Rob MacDonald (i refuse to call him Bobby Maximus, that’s a dumb name), has a theory that a drastic physical transformation takes 130 hours, no shortcuts. It’s an interesting concept as I restart training. It would be interesting to keep track of my “training hard” time to see what changes happen in 130 hours, and how quickly I could crack through that.

6 Likes

Work for today:
Press (superset Shrugs or Inverted rows):
3 x 60kg
3 x 60kg
2 x 65kg
1 x 70kg
2 x 70kg
2 x 70kg
2 x 70kg

Squats and swings blackjack (24kg bell):
20 swings
1 Squat
19 swings
2 squats
1 swing
20 squats

Waiters walk (24kg bell): there and back

Notes:

• Good to get moving again, coughs basically gone. Only real issue was a slightly constricted throat. I’ve had a reaction to the antibiotics so that’s likely to limit full throttle Cardio or conditioning until antihistamines can kick in. Squatting with a bar is very much a no-go at the minute too, because the hives all over my back and chest make it too uncomfortable.
  • This was very much made up on the fly as I wasn’t sure what my strength and conditioning levels would be like coming back. Pressing felt pretty strong, not far off previous levels so happy there.
  • Haven’t counted this towards my 130 hours because I was just trying to get work done, I wasn’t pushing myself hard at all.
14 Likes

Pretty decent considering you have done fuckall over the last few weeks. For a reason, of course.

1 Like

I was pretty suprised to have lost practically no press strength. And I also noticed I gave absolutely zero shits about potentially losing squat strength.

1 Like

Blasphemous.

2 Likes

Quality pressing! Time off to fully recover has probably helped.

2 Likes

@simo74 true though. There is nothing in my life that would be enhanced by being stronger.

@kd13 thanks man. Press is slightly down on pre-Christmas numbers, but it’s marginal at best. Especially with 10-15lbs lost in the same time frame.

Damn. You’re certainly right. I don’t want to think about this because I want to be stronger. Granted, I’m not as strong as you. But I can’t explain how a 315 squat enhances my life so lalalalalala

1 Like

Thats a good enough reason in and of itself though.

1 Like

Work for today:
50 navy seals

Didn’t push the pace here really, just getting back into it. Planned a workout time earlier but little lady seems to have been hit by some kind of lurgie again, so that put pay to that. It’s turning into the never ending story this winter.

6 Likes

Never ending story indeed! This has been brutal for y’all.
(do you have “y’all” down there? People act like it’s a ridiculous Texas thing but it makes so much sense, a plural you rather than a singular…)

3 Likes

Whereas “all ya’ll” is like Spanish vosotrous.

4 Likes

Oh no!

You’re log is definitely not a compelling advertisement for parenthood :joy:

1 Like

It’s been inconvenient, for sure. I can definitely work round it, most of the time though.

The only people I know who use “y’all” are people who spend more time on FB than with real people. It’s not a British thing at all, people just pick it up when they talk to Americans a lot.

I would suggest that anyone getting into parenthood for what the child can do for them has their priorities wrong. I get to be with my children for trying times in their life, that’s how bonds form.

9 Likes

+1000

I use it specifically in place of “you” if, and only if, “you” would leave the person unsure if I were referring to them individually or to their group.

It is common here (Texas) to use “y’all” any time a plural “you” is intended, whether or not “you” would have sufficed; and that’s widely derided in some circles.

People have huge wooden signs on their walls simply with the word “y’all”. Its kinda weird.

Do y’all have signs like that saying “mate”?

1 Like

Nah, we just stick to the basics “live, love, laugh” and stuff like that.

5 Likes

“Keep clam and carry on”

2 Likes

Work for today:

I did some running and some burpees on the hill. Nothing too hard. Good for the soul, not great for the lungs.

6 Likes