Worst Gym Award

[quote]msb222 wrote:

Smith Machine Good Mornings are the second worst idea I have ever heard of. I do like them for lunges, however.

The worst would be… Smith Machine Curls?[/quote]

I have seen one idiot trying to do power cleans on the Smith Machine. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head…

Oh yeah, and I like the Smith machine for calf raises as well. That would be about it, though.

[quote]Massif wrote:

I have seen one idiot trying to do power cleans on the Smith Machine. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head…

[/quote]

My wrists hurt just thinking about this “exercise”…

[quote]jsal33 wrote:
Any you guys heard of BUTT PUNCHES.

No Kidding

By the way I consider the removel of a power rack to be a felony that should be punished by Jail time. We here at T-Nation need to put a stop to these serious crimes

jsal33
[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen butt punches in one of the articles here at T-Nation. They were a variation of a good morning, but you had to go about the lift in a different way as doing a traditional good morning in a SM would stuff up your back. I think it was in one of those “exercises you’ve never tried” or “hamstring exercises from hell” articles.

1. At the 24 Hr. Fitness in downtown Seattle a lot of people take the elevator downstairs to the weight room.

2. In Vancouver, BC a gym I was going to join had no dumbells over 70 lbs because they didn’t want to “scare away women” and were very proud of the beautiful wooden doors on all of their lockers.

Who the FUCK would care what the lockers looked like when picking a gym?

Ever tried walking lunges in a smith machine???

California (24 hours) gym in Hong Kong Central has escalator going to each floor (4 levels) - you have no choice. Worst thing is the weights are on the top floor and the rest rooms in the basement.

Most gyms in Hong Kong don?t even have a power rack (luckily I found one across the road from where I live) ? some have squat racks but don?t think they are designed to take 600lbs ? nor the bars.

Try using chalk ? all the members complain that you are leaving chalk everywhere. I?m glad I found the gym where I am now ? they don?t care, they just send the cleaner around after me to clean up the chalk.

[quote]honkie wrote:
Ever tried walking lunges in a smith machine???[/quote]

Yeah but to be REALLY effective you need to strap a swiss ball to each foot.

Smith Machines are a waste of space for the most part. Like any type of ‘machine’ though, they can be useful in an injury rehab setting.

A Lunge in a Smith isn’t a Lunge, its a Split Squat. Thats not a bad thing but a good, basic leg strengthener. Doing them in a Smith though is just a beginner step until enough strength, flexibility, and coordination is developed to do them free weight.

Smith ‘Lunges’ for “power”??? I think the poster who proposed this is thinking of the Split Jerk at best. There’s no ‘power’ happening in a Smith Machine.