Why We Get Fat

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

I won’t be able to read this more thoroughly until later tonight, but what do you carbs → insulin → fat proponents make of things like fish, cheese and beef having a higher II than white pasta?[/quote]

good question. Perhaps in the absence of sugar to be shuttled into fat cells? Or the fact those foods are more satiating? Which may lead to lower overall consumption? Better long-term leptin sensitivity?[/quote]

Protien cause the “fullness” hormone to be released :slight_smile:

I watched parts 1 and 2 of the series. Part 4 is coming out May 4th. I disagree that this is a low-carb or paleo mantra. While they do make comments about the industrial food supply, it seems that refined sugar is going to take the brunt of the blame in the series.

There are people who successfully lean out on low fat or (gasp) low protein diets, but their carbs are not coming from sugar. They’re sticking to carbs like rice, grain, potato, beans. Complex carbs, not the simple sugars. I’m not talking about building huge muscles here, just people counting calories and getting fit. This one’s a vegetarian with pretty impressive before & after photos: Go Kaleo | Sanity in health and fitness. She lifts heavy and as far as I can tell by her meal plans, is pretty close to vegan on the vegetarian scale.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Global Nutrition Consumption and BMI

Compare that chart to the attached image.

Note that, in response to the objections of “that’s for food availability!”, I have now provided a link for macronutrient intake in the United States.

Now, the percentages do not match up exactly; however, 49/38/12 vs. 52/33/15 (c/f/p) is, nevertheless, very much in the ballpark of ‘close enough’.

I would say the trend matches up closer to kcal than carbs.[/quote]

Skimming through this I see discrepancies in the kCal matters more theory.

The US has to be almost discounted because the rate of consumption is so high (>3k cals/day) that no macro composition is going to make enough of a difference.

Mongolia is very high on obesity and near the bottom in kCal consumption. They eat lowish carbs, moderate fats, and high protein: how are they getting fat?

Peru is also an anomaly to a slightly lesser extent. Lowish kCals, high obesity, low fats, moderate protein, high carbs. hmmm.

[quote]anonym wrote:
An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

I won’t be able to read this more thoroughly until later tonight, but what do you carbs → insulin → fat proponents make of things like fish, cheese and beef having a higher II than white pasta?[/quote]
Looks like low density foods have a high insulin response when you eat 1000-kJ worth of them. 1000-kJ of low density food is a very high volume of food. Does your body release more insulin if your stomach expands a lot? (even if it was say, a block of Styrofoam?) In that case, I’d eat high-density low volume foods normally, and very high volume low density food after a workout.

[quote]qsar wrote:

Mongolia is very high on obesity and near the bottom in kCal consumption. They eat lowish carbs, moderate fats, and high protein: how are they getting fat?
[/quote]

Probably from those all-you-can-eat mongolian bar-b-que places…