What's In a Name?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The moment I am looked at and no preconceptions are made based on my race, culture, skin tone, or sex is the moment that no specific labels will be needed. Get back to me when this happens.[/quote]

You’ll be waiting forever, because EVERYONE is looked at with preconceptions, no matter who you are or what your race.

Prof is saying that in that instance a label wouldn’t be needed.

So why would you rebut him by saying ‘What would a label accomplish without those things?’

That’s the point.

To whoever has the hulk as the avatar.

You should have asked if he was a rastafarian. If so then I’d say you were complimenting him.

[quote]
Everybody should be proud of their ancestry. [/quote]

“O People, your Lord is one, and your father is one. You are all sons of Adam and Adam was made of dust. Verily, in God’s sight, the most honored amongst you are the most pious. There’s no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab, except on the basis of piety. Have I conveyed (The Message)?”

• The Farewell Speech of Prophet Muhammad

"The true man is not he who says ‘my father was…’
The true man is he who says ‘behold, here I am’ "

• Ali, cousin of the Prophet Muhammad

[quote]jacross wrote:

So why would you rebut him by saying ‘What would a label accomplish without those things?’

That’s the point.

[/quote]

It is beyond amazing that this needed to be explained.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jacross wrote:

That’s the point.

It is beyond amazing that this needed to be explained.[/quote]

Cut the condescending crap, Pro X - you aren’t bright enough to pull it off.

It wasn’t a rebuttal - it was a question. What does the label ‘African-American’ have to do with whether or not people pre-conceive you?

Presumably you don’t want to be pre-conceived based on your race, but adopting that label isn’t getting you any closer to a day when that happens. It doesn’t help that cause.

In fact, isn’t it arguable that the opposite occurs, that you continually reinforce a racial label yourself when you don’t want others to?

The label keeps reminding people of your race. I thought you wanted to end that behavior. Hence the question about why the label?.

[quote]lumbernac wrote:
I dont see anything wrong w/ blacks being proud of themselves. Why not whites being proud?? White Pride!

We have done a LOT more than the people out of Africa in their entire span have ever done and should therefore be much prouder. I am proud of having European ancestry and being white; i dare anybody to say that i am wrong for doing so. [/quote]

Yeah, Europeans did do a lot. Of course, they had slaves from Africa doing all the heavy lifting.

No one else wants to call this guy an asshole for the White Pride bullshit?

(Unless you were being sarcastic. In which case, you should get better at it.)

Why is white pride such a shame while black pride is something so proud. People are so worried about offending other races that they supress their feelings about their own.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Why is white pride such a shame while black pride is something so proud. People are so worried about offending other races that they supress their feelings about their own.[/quote]

Probably because white pride/power is more often linked to notions of superiority/domination, while black pride/power seems to be more linked to ideas of self-determination and regaining a sense of cultural identity.

This is probably similar in some respect to why there is an International Women’s Day while the same version for men can only be found in a limited number of countries.

AlexH

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
snipeout wrote:
Why is white pride such a shame while black pride is something so proud. People are so worried about offending other races that they supress their feelings about their own.

Probably because white pride/power is more often linked to notions of superiority/domination, while black pride/power seems to be more linked to ideas of self-determination and regaining a sense of cultural identity.

This is probably similar in some respect to why there is an International Women’s Day while the same version for men can only be found in a limited number of countries.

AlexH[/quote]

Could also be that the very phrase “White Pride” scares the living shit out of anyone not from northern Europe.

White Pride:

Look y’all can assume that i am being racist. Im not. Im just being proud of my culture, what harm is in that? I would hope that Prof X is proud of his culture just as i am of mine, although mine has accomplished much much more. Im not being arrogant just truthful. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture.

The fact that african-americans have been abused by southerners in the US is besides the point. The africans SOLD us the slaves b/c they were from a different tribe or nation. I beleive that anthropologists classify people into 3 races: negroids ( black people possibly including arabs and aborignee ) caucasoid ( white people including hispanics and possibly indians) and asian. As the earlier poster said that the blacks were basically the Europeans muscle , which is not true. Slavery by eropean people towards blacks happened on a large scale only in the southern US. Even if that were true it shouldn’t take anything away from caucasoid’s accomplishments- of which i am proud of. Thanks for listening

[quote]lumbernac wrote:
Look y’all can assume that i am being racist. Im not. Im just being proud of my culture, what harm is in that? I would hope that Prof X is proud of his culture just as i am of mine, although mine has accomplished much much more. Im not being arrogant just truthful. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture.[/quote]

You’re right: white culture has accomplished much much more than any other.

Such as:

The worldwide institution of slavery.

The invention of germ warfare. (Blankets with smallpox, great idea.)

Atomic warfare.

The plague.
(Because brilliant white Europeans thought it was a good idea to throw their waste out the window.)

The Crusades.

The Inquisition.

The Holocaust.

SUV’s

Michael Bolton.

The SAT’s

World Wars I, II, and probably III.

NASCAR

Poll taxes.

Colored bathrooms and water fountains.

Do I have to go on?

Let’s stop this nonsense and realize that every single human being on this planet comes from the same place: Africa. Most likely, somewhere in Kenya.

Look about the slavery issue, Africans still enslave each other. It didnt start w/ whites nor will it end with us either so thats really a Non-Issue.

So sense your just trying to mention things that would not make somebody proud of their culture i will mention things that should for caucasians. Feel free to mention anything positive about any other race b/c we should all be proud of who we are.

Accomplishments of whites:
the printing press we have figured out flying ( wright brothers ) rockets ( german rocket scientists ) , he electric battery, the automobile, the steam engine, railroad transportation, the microscope, computers, not to mention Plato Aristotle Socrates Homer , all of the roman greats , Edison Pasteur , Alexander Graham Bell w/ the telephones that let us have our internet conversations , motion pictures. You mentioned several things like SAT’s and SUV’s dude these are just the entrapments of life you can either become a more structured society like the Europeans have done and have orderly rules and things or you can have a tribal society on a large scale like the africans. Either way once modern technology like guns comes the way of the traditional society its not good.

I wish Prof X would mention things that he is proud of , of his own culture b/c he has every right to be proud of himself. Thank you for listening.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
You’re right: white culture has accomplished much much more than any other.

Such as:

The worldwide institution of slavery.

The invention of germ warfare. (Blankets with smallpox, great idea.)

Atomic warfare.

The plague.
(Because brilliant white Europeans thought it was a good idea to throw their waste out the window.)

The Crusades.

The Inquisition.

The Holocaust.

SUV’s

Michael Bolton.

The SAT’s

World Wars I, II, and probably III.

NASCAR

Poll taxes.

Colored bathrooms and water fountains.

Do I have to go on?

Let’s stop this nonsense and realize that every single human being on this planet comes from the same place: Africa. Most likely, somewhere in Kenya. [/quote]

So I should feel free to call myself an African-American?

[quote]lumbernac wrote:
The fact that african-americans have been abused by southerners in the US is besides the point. The africans SOLD us the slaves b/c they were from a different tribe or nation. [/quote]

This is almost entirely untrue. While this did happen to some degree you’re trying to make it seem that Africans were the driving force behind slavery. This is impossible, considering the circumstances of both Africa and Europe at this point in history.In any matter does it make a difference if someone sells you a slave or you capture it yourself. You can’t BUY a person. You’re logic is asonishing.

The Africans had no idea how these slaves would be treated by Europeans, as their interpretation of slavery was completely different. If they enslaved a member of another tribe they were basically treated as if they were a member of the tribe. It scares me that this type of ignorance is still around in the 21st century.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
I just have one question for all “African-Americans” on this forum; what the hell does “African-American” mean? “_-American" used to mean that the person was born in another country and then came to the US. Now we have all these blacks, who have never even been to Africa, stating that they are African-American. Why? What the hell is wrong with just being American? Should every other race go back to their country of racial origin and have a hyphenated name as well? So let’s all be "-American” instead of just Americans because evidentially being American is just not good enough anymore.

Let’s stop the division people. If you are American, then be proud of it and be just American!
[/quote]

To answer your original question, I think it’s just a politically correct way of referring to someone who’s black.

No i am not trying to make it sound like the Africans selling us slaves was the driving point. Slavery is a horrible thing and its not something that i am proud of at all. My point was simply that even if slavery had not existed then we still would have accomplished just as much esp in europe where it wasnt a factor. Even in america it hurt us and turned the south into a banana republic of sorts w/ a few white rich people and a small small middle class and the rest just a bunch of poor blacks

I have a thought… How bout we’re all human. So we’re all “humanese” or “humanican” or “humanean” or whatever floats your tugboat. So let’s celebrate our being HUMAN, and not divide humanity into “races”. I think the whole thought of people being “different” based on the color of their skin or where they come from is stupid, cause in the end, we’re not that different if you think about it. Ok, back to my hole in the wall where I shall read countless Waterbury articles…:smiley:

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Cut the condescending crap, Pro X - you aren’t bright enough to pull it off.[/quote]

You wish this were actually the case.

[quote]
It wasn’t a rebuttal - it was a question. What does the label ‘African-American’ have to do with whether or not people pre-conceive you?

Presumably you don’t want to be pre-conceived based on your race, but adopting that label isn’t getting you any closer to a day when that happens. It doesn’t help that cause.

In fact, isn’t it arguable that the opposite occurs, that you continually reinforce a racial label yourself when you don’t want others to?

The label keeps reminding people of your race. I thought you wanted to end that behavior. Hence the question about why the label?.[/quote]

Allow me to point out what you are clearly ignorant of. Our names were stolen. I doubt most blacks in this country whose families were brought here in the past through slavery (in spite of cultural mixing) could trace their families back more than 4 or 5 generations. After slavery, blacks were still degraded due to their skin color. The names we have been given in the past to describe us as a group has changed over the decades.

Up until the late 60’s or even early 70’s, they called us “Colored”. There were “white” water fountains and water fountains for “colored people”. My mother still remembers seeing this when she was growing up so it wasn’t so many generations ago. Beginning in the 70’s to a large degree, our title became “Black”. This was largely misused in social references also as a sense of degradation. The black community searched for another title that would describe a sense of history and dignity. To this point, through the 90’s, it became “African American”. Again, this was an attempt to acknowledge our past as well as usher in dignity behind who we are. This is slowly changing again to “Black” as the predominant title simply because the influx of cultures has left most in this country far from the original genes that saw our ancestors stumble off of slave ships.

You see, our title has changed over the years for no other reason than the open use of racism by other cultures surrounding us, and the attempt to initiate pride that was taken from an entire race and continually stripped for decades after. The original question was, “what is in a name?”. The answer to that is, the exact same thing that is your history, your culture, your ancestors and everything else that makes you who you are. The name hasn’t changed because blacks in this country have tried to be separate. It has changed because we were treated as separate and unequal…as less than human. The name was an attempt to regain what was taken…and it has slowly changed as society changes.

Yes, you do wish I was as unintelligent as you say. This would look so much better for you if it were true.