What is Holy (Christian Versions)

[quote]BBriere wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
Holy shit we have a lot of religion threads!

Little know fact about the phrase ‘Holy shit’. The first utterance was when Mary was away at St. Elizabeth’s house and Joseph was left with that feisty little toddler who have just experimented eating squash and green beans for the first time. He noticed the foul stench coming from the young man and upon opening his exclamation of ‘Holy shit!’ was reportedly heard all the way to Alexandria.
It was the last known time St. Joseph was left alone to take care of Jesus as a baby. [/quote]

This inspired me to look up the phrase Jumping Jehosophat. The explanation I found, which I am not making up, said the phrase is to remind people that when startled or scared to leap for the Lord’s arms just like King Jehosophat did.

I could find no explanation for the H in Jesus H. Christ. [/quote]

Really?! I thought everybody knew that. It stands for ‘Halibut’ because of His strong affinity for fish. It’s why we have fish fry’s during lent, he loved the swimmy things.

[quote]Pangloss wrote:
<<< A church cannot be Holy - in and of itself. >>>[/quote]THEE church (mystical body of Christ, a Catholic term I actually like, but use differently than they do)consisting of all those truly regenerate believers IS also by definition holy as it is His body, bride and family. [quote]Pangloss wrote:Places and things cannot be Holy, >>>[/quote]Agreed. Not anymore in the covenant of grace. [quote]Pangloss wrote:
Does God, for lack of a better term, pay more attention to the Holy? Say two people are praying, one who is Holy and the other who is not (but, I suppose is trying to see the light). They are praying for an opposite effect on something. What happens? One side of me says that God would act in favor of the Holy person. The other side thinks that this could be a selling point to the person trying to see the light - but would God act as such? Seems kind of beneath him - yet, God sacrificed himself for the sinners, so I don’t think it’s necessarily out of bounds. >>>[/quote]Interesting question. What I know for sure is that the one prayer God is certain to answer from a sinner is the one where they ask to be saved in response to His call. As for conflicting prayers, who is heard among believers of varying levels of maturity and so forth? God hears the prayers of His family and how He responds in a specific instance is not for us to know in advance. God does not necessarily answer a more mature and sanctified saint over one not as much. From what I see in scripture God always hears His people though the answer may not be as asked or expected… or may be as well. God interacts as He sees fit and there is no formula whereby one can deduce how a particular petition may be answered.

God’s promises are also commands and His commands are also promises. When He commands me to love my wife as He loved His church and gave Himself for her that is also a promise that He will be there to teach me how. When God promises His children that if they confess their sins He will forgive them and cleanse them from all unrighteousness that is also a command to confess our sins.

[quote]Pangloss wrote:
The above scenario, of course, presumes that God would act - which is not something I’m sure that all Christians accept. Some Christians suppose that God has a plan, which is unalterable. We could argue what that essentially means, but right now I’m more interested in those who believe God would act in some manner.[/quote]No true Christian disbelieves in the power and efficacy of prayer. I do believe His eternal decrees are unalterable AND that in His providence He has decreed that I will seek His face and He will respond in loving fellowship. I have no idea how that works and quite frankly don’t care anymore. He has at times answered with exactly what I asked for, like a car and 2800 free dollars in one day to save my house and job. Other times He answers in ways, the wisdom of which is not apparent maybe for years.

I have prayed fervently that He build in me a strong faithful spirit toward Him only to have Him send absolutely crushing and formidable life circumstances for me to learn from. When I asked why so many things are not going my way He spoke to my heart that He was answering my prayer and he also sent dear brothers and sisters with clear words of instruction and edification. I was hoping He would just inject me with some strength and peace, but no, He had a better way that produced much better and permanent results to His glory. Answers to prayer can take many forms I will try to get into at a later time.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Little know fact about the phrase ‘Holy shit’. The first utterance was when Mary was away at St. Elizabeth’s house and Joseph was left with that feisty little toddler who have just experimented eating squash and green beans for the first time. He noticed the foul stench coming from the young man and upon opening his exclamation of ‘Holy shit!’ was reportedly heard all the way to Alexandria.
It was the last known time St. Joseph was left alone to take care of Jesus as a baby. [/quote]

This inspired me to look up the phrase Jumping Jehosophat. The explanation I found, which I am not making up, said the phrase is to remind people that when startled or scared to leap for the Lord’s arms just like King Jehosophat did.

Really?! I thought everybody knew that. It stands for ‘Halibut’ because of His strong affinity for fish. It’s why we have fish fry’s during lent, he loved the swimmy things.[/quote]

I thought it was ‘Harold’…

From here (Why do folks say “Jesus H. Christ”? - The Straight Dope)

“Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name”

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Really?! I thought everybody knew that. It stands for ‘Halibut’ because of His strong affinity for fish. It’s why we have fish fry’s during lent, he loved the swimmy things.[/quote]

[quote]Pangloss wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, God’s real name is Art Howard:

Our Father, called Art in heaven, Howard be they name