What Are You Reading?

Yep! Closed the library down for days and made the staff “review” all the children’s books. I have no idea what book caused the extreme reaction, but it’s not the library’s responsibility to police books.

That’s ridiculous. Are there any other public library systems in your area? There are two by me, so I have a library card with both of them. Libby lets me use either one. Maybe something like that could work for you in the meantime.

I will have to go to another county 45 miles away to get another library card. :rage:

Some library systems will make a card for you online so you can use it immediately to borrow ebooks and audiobooks. Especially with the pandemic. Worth a shot.

1 Like

Thanks! I will give that a try.

1 Like

OMG! Libby/Overdrive and my library is my sole source of reading material. That is terrible.

Use Zlibrary

Several of us here are NOT happy about it.

1 Like

I’ll check it out.

1 Like

It’s great, thousands of free books and articles

I’ve used it to get textbooks, novels and other assorted reading materials

1 Like

I don’t know if “legal” is the proper term to use, but there’s no way a library has the unilateral authority to do something like that. Isn’t there some kind of gov’t (I know, I know…ugh) “authority” you can appeal to?

And don’t you live in Texas? There’s no way this type of censorship action is allowed if it gets highlighted up the chain of authority there.

It’s a county library system. I think they offer the app as a courtesy so I assume they can take it away with no repercussions. Not sure how it will play out, but letters are already pouring into the newspaper. Meanwhile I will try to make other arrangements.

This is the age of online library access. I use Kindle but Kindle or overdrive/libby is imo standard and no longer a courtesy. I will be shocked if you folks don’t regain access.

Well, the top fold article of the paper last week was about adding advisors to the library or some such crap. We will see how it pans out. I just think the whole thing os a bunch of bullshit.

1 Like

@QuadQueen @TriednTrue I just finished Normal People. Not really for me because I don’t like pure romance stories, though to be fair it also deals shallowly with mental health in the last third or so.

I’m starting Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner, and I am so excited after finally being able to borrow a copy.

1 Like

@Bagsy Thanks for the review, I might pass on it based on your feedback.

Crying in H Mart is on my list too! I read Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata last year and really enjoyed it. I heard the Crying in H Mart is along the same vein. Let me know what you think!

@Bagsy @TriednTrue I do “quit” books sometimes. I give it a good go, but if I’m over 1/3 in and it’s just sucking my will to live - I’m out. My philosophy is that there are so many good books out there that life’s too short to waste time powering through bad ones. But I also have the attention span of a gnat sometimes, so there’s that… :rofl:

3 Likes

The only consolation is that it’s pretty short, so not a lot of time lost on it. It could be a “me” issue as well, considering several of my acquaintances liked it a lot.

I admit I haven’t heard of Murata before :sweat_smile: I wanted to read Crying in H Mart simply because Michelle’s works and role in the music industry pulled me in.

It’s funny because I’m the opposite. If I make it far enough in a book that isn’t doing much for me, I will finish it. But if I barely started it, and it’s a struggle, then I immediately give up.

2 Likes

I once read the entire book The Witching Hour by Anne Rice waiting for it to get good.

It never did.

Really not my style of book or writer, but my sister said it was great and she loved it.

Thanks for the review. I’ll probably skip this one and continue reading the travelogues that populate my reading list and nightstand.

1 Like