Wednesday PT with DJ

Yep, and if you catch them in the deep Overhead Squat position, it is called the Squat Snatch. You can develop this by taking a chair into a swimming pool…

[quote]Gary John wrote:
Old Dogg, thanks for the clip, explains a lot.

And Dan, one of those exercises I’ve been doing, they are called “power snatches”.[/quote]

First, stop. Everything. Please. Listen to me.

Okay, see your doctor. Have him lube his fingers, you know the drill. Now, listen to me:

1. Low or Zero Carb diet. Eat like a pig/lion.

Breakfast: how many eggs can I eat? Bacon is good?

Next time you are hungry: we will call it lunch, but I doubt it:
Meat
Salad…lots of veggies

NExt time you are hungry:

Meat
Salad

For snacks:
Almonds…lots of them.

Drink a lot of water.

Try this: HOT-ROX…they sell them here in T-Nation somewhere. Just HOT-ROX.

Gym?

Take it easy: One day a week, something “complex”

A lift
A quick run/sprint/waddle

Three times

One day a week:
A full body exercise. Try Clean and Press. Do it for a bunch of sets. Like ten sets of three

Two days a week:
Work a weak bodypart. Ah, ignore that, work your arms:
Three sets:
Curls
Press

Drink lots of water. Sleep nine or ten hours a night. One day a week, go “play.” It can be a long walk with the wife mixed with rock throwing, dog chasing, lovemaking, I don’t care. Enjoy. Laugh. Commune. Talk. Sprint. Point at funny people.

Take a before picture. Tonight. Take an after in three weeks.

Thank me.

[quote]The Gazelle wrote:
Coach John -

I am fat. There is a bunch of hype about how to lose fat and maintain muscle: kettlebells, GBC, Meltdown training, yadda yadda yadda – makes my head hurt. Please enlighten me on the “simple, yet hard” method to lose fat.

Currently, I am trying jumping rope, hitting the heavy bag, sled drags (old tire for sled), sledgehammering the old tire, kettlebell swings/snatches/c+j’s… all that using a heart rate monitor in sort of an interval fashion (do something until heart rate goes through the roof, then do something else and repeat).

Will this work? Any other tips?

P.S. The will power to stop eating like a linemen would be nice… where do I find it?[/quote]

You will be beyond bored.

Good idea, but mix it more.

Day one: Drill
Day two: Bear
Day three: chase bears with a drill (or, simply, go on a nice long walk and enjoy the world)
Day four: Drill and Bear
Day five: Drill a bear (or, simply, find a nice “game” of some kind, invite some friends and enjoy yourself in a fun game. Ideas? Flag football, no goalie soccer, some game with a few people having fun)

Then, repeat, or ask me again…

[quote]cilamedvied wrote:
Dan what do you think of taking complexes like “the drill” (power snatch to overhead squat to hang squat snatch to full squat snatch) and “the bear” (power clean to front squat to push press to front to back squat to push press behind the neck) and alternating them tuesday thursday and saturday doing 10 sets of 10 followed by a walk and on mon weds fri doing 400 meter sprints for fatloss. Also i’ll be using the meats, leaves, and berries diet.[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I don’t even believe in the concept of “light” and “medium.” With the O lifts it is Yoda-talk: do or don’t do.

I’m not sure you can minutae away the sports like you do: a hammer thrower needs 68% of his max and a Korean karate master needs 49, but the Thai thrives on 73.4 %.

If you don’t do Power Snatches, then this conversation is just bytes on a screen. If you do them, you probably would improve…

BPC wrote:
Danny John wrote:
I thought “Hey, just Power Snatches.” I crawled home…

novamcglone wrote:
Dan,
Just wanted to check in with you. I started a 3 week round of OLAD yesterday, and I hit up the standing overhead DB Press, with 5x5, in the format that i would stay with a weight and slowly build up to 5x5. I used 75’s, and it definitely beat my ass. Just wanted to add a testimonial that doing only one exercise can sound like a cake walk, it’s not. Thanks for everything Dan.
-Greg

Regarding this post of power snatches, do you recommend using a light-to medium weight for maximal explosion or trying to power snatch the heaviest weight possible?

Which method enhances performance (in your case-throwing) in my case basketball and martial arts, better?

Is the total number of reps completed each workout one of the main things that you look at not so much as the number of sets?
[/quote]

Why do you assume I don’t do them? I power snatch all the time.