Until the Wheels Fall Off

2013-05-29

Clean + PP
135x3
160x3
180x3
200 3x3
definitely mini-jump this one. It was hard.

Cleans
207 3x3 (PR +1 lb, +2 sets)

FS
225x3
255 3x3 (PR +1 rep, +2 sets)
prev best was 2x3 sets or 3x1 set

Incline BP
202.5 3x3
Had to move my grip out to get these.

Pendlay Row
230 3x1 set
biceps tendon was griping so I stopped at 1 set.

Exercises that require an excessive (by my standards) amount of fiddle-farting setup are unlikely to end up in my movements list - at least, these days.

That being said, I think itā€™s time to bring my Slingshot back in to the mix. Iā€™m having lockout troubles on presses. The weight comes off the shoulders and chest just fine, but getting full extension is sometimes slow.

Blasted hand is still messed up. Infection is down, but itā€™s pretty painful to try to hold on to anything or open it too far. Iā€™ve shaved the callus down quite a bit but it still needs more. Skipped last night, but I need a session. I have to get some superglue and athletic tape and see if I can gut out a session today with the wound glued over and a tape shield over it.

2013-06-03

Clean + Press
135x5
155x3
170 3x3
135x10

SQ
225,255,285x3
320 3x3
should have done a down set

CGBP
217.5 3x3

Pendlay Row
230 3x2 sets
Rt arm brachioradialis (?) whining again,soā€¦

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
185 8x2 sets
I like these. I will do more.

DB Curls
50s 8x2 sets

Concentration Curl (rt only)
35 8x2 sets

Seated DB Triceps Extensions(rt only)
35 8x2 sets

Squats were a little higher than I prefer. Stick at that weight until I can make the plates rattle. Speed,baby,speed. I need more reps of lighter squats too.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
Stick at that weight until I can make the plates rattle. Speed,baby,speed.
[/quote]

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m after. Got to improve my speed.

Great stuff in here. Iā€™m mighty impressed with your weights. My goal is to catch you up.

Youā€™s my new idol.

How long do you leave between sets on the o lifts by the way? I find Iā€™m rushing through my sets too much.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:

Stick at that weight until I can make the plates rattle. Speed,baby,speed.
[/quote]

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m after. Got to improve my speed.

Great stuff in here. Iā€™m mighty impressed with your weights. My goal is to catch you up.

Youā€™s my new idol.

How long do you leave between sets on the o lifts by the way? I find Iā€™m rushing through my sets too much.
[/quote]

Thanks Farmer.

I tend to rush the Oly lifts as well. It just seems like one or two reps is skiving. But you really need the rest time so you can bring all your concentration and effort to the few reps you do. I try to aim for three to five minutes between sets. Most of the time I spend training is actually spent not training.

2013-06-05

Power Clean + PP
135x3
155x3
185x3
201 3x3

Cleans
208 3x3(PR +1 lb)

FS
225x3 (1st rep paused)
257.5 3x3 (PR +2.5 lbs)

Ballistic Pullups (to zyphoid, no kip)
BW 3x3

BTN Pullups (fast concentric, slow eccentric
BW 5x3 sets

And thatā€™s it.

Okay help a brother out, what is a ballistic pullup?

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Okay help a brother out, what is a ballistic pullup?[/quote]

Itā€™s just a really fast pullup, but ballistic sounds much cooler than saying ā€œreally fast pullup.ā€

2013-06-07

BP
135x5
185x3
225x3
205 3x2 sets

Low Bar Wide Stance Paused Pin SQ
pin 5 parallel
barx5
135x5
185x3
225x3
255x3
285x3
315x3
345x3
365x2
pin 4 below parallel
315x3

Real Squats
255x3 (paused 3 sec rock bottom)
255x10

1 arm DB Rows
120 6x3 sets

CGBP
135x15,10

BP disappointing, but not unexpected. I havenā€™t done real bench press in a long time.
Pin squats went about as I thought they would. Just felt I needed to work the adductors some.
Guess I was in a rep mood tonight.

Nice work-
I always like reading what you are up to.

good cleans and squats ( ps good benching too)

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Nice work-
I always like reading what you are up to.

good cleans and squats ( ps good benching too)[/quote]

Thanks, kev. Iā€™ve been sliding on benching, but I think itā€™ll help the push presses. I think I can close grip bench press more weight than I can straight bench press right now. Weird.

Took a little break to let my hand heal some. I only got through last sessionā€™s rows through being so pissed off at the pain. The swelling is down and the skin is re-forming over the split at the base of the finger. Iā€™ve shaved and sanded the calluses down far enough that it doesnā€™t constantly pinch the wound, but it needs a little more work to get it close to being flexible like normal skin. I can almost open and close my hand all the way now without any pain.

No training is making me antsy and Iā€™m getting those weird twitches and phantom pains in my legs that happen after 3 or 4 days off. May squat and press tonight, as I donā€™t stress the hand too much with those (the cleans are light relative to the other things requiring pulling) - though I had intended to schedule deadlifts for the session.

Blasted hand is still messed up. Infection is down, but itā€™s pretty painful to try to hold on to anything or open it too far. Iā€™ve shaved the callus down quite a bit but it still needs more. Skipped last night, but I need a session. I have to get some superglue and athletic tape and see if I can gut out a session today with the wound glued over and a tape shield over it. [/quote]

I remember seeing a Donny Shankle video about his hand care regime, moisturising and stuff, which at the time I found amusing. Now I realise why itā€™s so important, if your hands are messed up you canā€™t lift and the Olympic lifts seem particularly hard on the hands.

Donny Shankle is tough as nails -he eats them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and peri-workout. Iā€™m secretly hoping he puts out a video on the importance of pedicures for men so I can go get one.

DCA, your strength always puts me to shame, so I only check out your log to get a good laugh out of your avatars.

2013-06-16

Clean and Press
135x3
155x3
165 2x8sets

FS
185x3
205x2
225x2
245 2x8 sets

SN grip DL
225x2
245x2
265 2x8 sets

CGBP
165x12,10

Wanted a lot of lifting today, but wanted to keep reps fast so went a little lighter. Mostly they were fast. Some werenā€™t.

Down to my last (really last) pack of ultra-lights. No more after that. Already seeing an marked improvement in recovery ability and clearer thinking. Attitudeā€™s better, though my significant other finds me a bit more lippy than might otherwise be hoped forā€¦

Good work, youā€™ll be past it all soon enough.

2013-06-21

Power Clean and PP
135x5 (press)
155x3(pressed)
175x3(PP)
195 2x8 sets

Pendlay rows
205 3x8 sets

SQ
225x3
255x3
285x2 (belt)
315 2x4 sets
285 2x4 sets

DB curls
50s x8(alt),9

SQ somewhat disappointing. Strangely, it was my back that got tired rather than my legs as I was expecting. Dropped weight due to cutting the squats high.

Whatā€™s challenging about the 8 sets is not the weight, but the bringing focus to the ā€œextraā€ sets, which is part of why Iā€™m doing this. I find that my attention wants to wander in the last 4 or 5 sets and I have to really hone in on what Iā€™m doing. This is draining and itā€™s going to go on for a while until my brain learns to produce the correct quantity of chemicals for the duration.

Iā€™m hoping for two things, better concentration in the latter sets and the to be able to work at a relatively high level (for me) for a longer interval.