Trap Bar Questions

[quote]halamadrid09 wrote:
got a few of questions, hoping for some answers…

1. why do some strength coaches ( Defranco, zach even esh etc…) seem to favor trap bar DL over the normal bar for their athletes?
  2. i see alot of their athletes doing trap bar DL but they sometimes use the high handle and sometimes the low. when should you use the high or low handles?
  3. for athletic purposes, is the trap bar a good alternative to convertional DL? is there a downside to using the trapbar over a standard bar?

thanks for the help![/quote]

I did a video about 6 weeks ago while in Colorado (yet to be published) where I say that the trap bar deadlift is one, if not the best lower body exercise.

It combines all the advantages of the squat and deadlift without their disadvantages.

The body is put in the same mechanical position as the squat, which makes it a great quads and glutes exercise. And involves the upper back and traps just as much as the deadlift.

The high handle allow you to use more weight which means more stimulation on the upper back and traps but a bit less emphasis on the glutes and hams.

The lower handle is a great way to build the whole lower body: glutes, quads and hams specifically. But since you use a bit less weight it doesn’t overload the traps as much.