Training around FAI

[quote]fisch wrote:

How much it relates to your knee issues is obviously hard to measure. I wouldn’t be surprised if you conciously or unconciously shifted your body during lifts and throughout the day to avoid the hip issue, which would likely put additional stress on the knee. I don’t think surgery for your hip would significantly help your knee pain, but that’s just a guess from what I know of FAI.[/quote]

Both doctors noticed what I have for a while, sub-par external rotation and abduction of the hip. I cannot cross my left leg while seated without leaning back. Then when I come back forward into a normal seated position, I can feel my hip hit end range of motion and tension builds on the knee until I am fully upright.

One dr. said that most cases of knee pain not coming from a direct blow or tear, are usually problems at the hip or ankle. The hip surgeon said that he had a 19 year old patient who has had his knee scoped by 3 different doctors before coming to him. He had FAI. So even though there may not be a 100% correlation, 1 procedure may have the potential to fix 2 of my issues.

Both doctors only mentioned cam impingement. I think that mixed and pincer would be a worse surgery because the anterior portion of the labrum needs to be detached during repair.