Tonino's Log

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
Yeah that’s right about the HIIT, you could do it Thu if you want to (since you’ll be doing upper body Fri I think).
[/quote]

As for the slight modification to the routine, I forgot to ask a couple other questions that came to mind.

1. In terms of progression from session to session, do I treat same as before? So as an example, let’s say with Incline BB Press, I work up to a 3 rep max of 135. Then I rep out with 115. Next session, would I work up to a 3 rep max of 140, and rep out with 120?

2. Do I apply this setup to Calf Raises and Side Raises? Or stick with high-rep sets?

3. With Deadlifts, do I stop after my top set (as I’ve been doing), or should I rep out with a lighter weight here too?

Wednesday, 3/9/11 (Cardio session)

32 minutes of steady state cardio (treadmill) … ended up running 2.9 miles (0.3 miles more than previous session)

[quote]Tonino wrote:

Yeah that’s right about the HIIT, you could do it Thu if you want to (since you’ll be doing upper body Fri I think).
[/quote]

As for the slight modification to the routine, I forgot to ask a couple other questions that came to mind.

1. In terms of progression from session to session, do I treat same as before? So as an example, let’s say with Incline BB Press, I work up to a 3 rep max of 135. Then I rep out with 115. Next session, would I work up to a 3 rep max of 140, and rep out with 120?

2. Do I apply this setup to Calf Raises and Side Raises? Or stick with high-rep sets?

3. With Deadlifts, do I stop after my top set (as I’ve been doing), or should I rep out with a lighter weight here too?
    [/quote]

4. Yeah do about 6 or 7 sets. As soon as your 6th or 7th set feels “comfortable”, that is, you “own it”, start your sets a little heavier next time. Don’t be too concerned about getting it perfect, as long as you do roughly the same amount of sets each time and you aim for a heavier top set, it’s all fine.

That’s right on the blast set. The blast set is always based on your 3 rep top set. You’ll know after your last 3 rep set if you’ll do better on the blast set - for example, if you lifted 5lbs heavier with your last 3 rep set, you’ll manage the same reps as before (or minus 1 rep) on your blast set with 5lbs heavier. If you don’t improve, don’t worry, you’ll get it next time. Some days will be off, but like the stock market, as long as the overall trend over time is upwards, all is fine.

1. Yeah do the same technique with calves and delts. Your blast set for calves will probably be a little higher than other bodyparts (e.g. 12+)…just go with whatever you manage. Don’t forget to take bodyweight into account when working out load for blast set on exercise where you lift the body too (bodyweight plus load x 0.9).

2. For deadlifts don’t bother with the blast set, do as you’ve been doing with that.

Thursday, 3/10/11 (Cardio session)

15 minutes of HIIT sprinting (outdoors) … 10 seconds on, 50 seconds off

Friday, 3/11/11 (Chest/Back/Arms)

BB Incline Bench - 85/3, 95/3, 105/3, 115/3, 125/3, 135/3, 145/2, 115/12

BB Decline Bench- 75/3, 115/3, 150/3, 135/12

BB Rows- 65/3, 75/3, 85/3, 95/3, 105/3, 115/3, 125/3, 135/3, 115/12

Lat Pulldown (Nautilus machine)- 100/3, 140/3, 180/3, 150/13

BB Curls- 27.5/3, 37.5/3, 47.5/3, 57.5/3, 67.5/3, 57.5/18

Skull crushers- 27.5/3, 47.5/3, 67.5/3, 57.5/20

Comments-
Wow! Incredible feeling after taking those few days off from lifting. I actually felt stronger today than I did in my last session. I changed the rep scheme today, so I did about 6-8 sets of 3, working up to my 3RM, and then dropped the weight 10-15% for a Blast Set… the Blast Sets felt great!

Another plus for today was that the gym finally got an empty curl bar, so I was able to load it with incremental weight as I saw fit. The bar weighs 17.5 lbs, thus the reason why each set has an odd number weight used.

Saturday, 3/12/11 (Cardio session)

[quote]Tonino wrote:
Friday, 3/11/11 (Chest/Back/Arms)

BB Incline Bench - 85/3, 95/3, 105/3, 115/3, 125/3, 135/3, 145/2, 115/12

BB Decline Bench- 75/3, 115/3, 150/3, 135/12

BB Rows- 65/3, 75/3, 85/3, 95/3, 105/3, 115/3, 125/3, 135/3, 115/12

Lat Pulldown (Nautilus machine)- 100/3, 140/3, 180/3, 150/13

BB Curls- 27.5/3, 37.5/3, 47.5/3, 57.5/3, 67.5/3, 57.5/18

Skull crushers- 27.5/3, 47.5/3, 67.5/3, 57.5/20

Comments-
Wow! Incredible feeling after taking those few days off from lifting. I actually felt stronger today than I did in my last session. I changed the rep scheme today, so I did about 6-8 sets of 3, working up to my 3RM, and then dropped the weight 10-15% for a Blast Set… the Blast Sets felt great!

Another plus for today was that the gym finally got an empty curl bar, so I was able to load it with incremental weight as I saw fit. The bar weighs 17.5 lbs, thus the reason why each set has an odd number weight used.

[/quote]

Good to see!

The days off (or when you are bulking, the higher rep days/easy days) serve the purpose of enabling you to push hard continually (like a refresher). I can’t prove it, but I believe that it enables cortisone (stress) levels to be “reset” back to normal. What you’ll find with constant high intensity training, is that the longer you go without pulling back, the more “cranky” you get. You get to a point where even the slightest thing gets you angry. And to top it all off, your progress slows down. It also becomes easier to gain fat. So if you periodize your training in this way, it’s “healthier” and enables more consistent progress.

Many scoff at the idea, claiming it can’t be pre-programmed like that, and that over-training is a myth. Time and time again, with myself and others, I find that performance always dips after 3-6 weeks. So in my mind, it’s pretty constant and predictable (read up on Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program - the principles of pushing forward for 3 weeks, then pulling back are the same).

I’d keep the blast sets closer to 10%, (although it shouldn’t make a great deal of difference).
As you become more accustomed to it, you’ll find that your blast sets become closer and closer to your 1RM (in other words, the intensity increases). This kind of confirms what many coaches seem to recommend for newer lifters (higher reps), and as you become stronger - lower reps.

We’ll keep at this phase (fat loss) for another 3 weeks…unless something changes…

Sunday, 3/13/11

Updated Stats (end of Week 5)

BW - 160.0 lbs (-2.8 from last week, total of -6.0)
Waist - 33.25" (-0.25 from last week, total of 0.75")
BF - 12.44% (-0.65% from last week, total of -3.8%)

Comments:
This week I saw my biggest bodyweight drop (-2.8 lbs), so I would have expected my BF to drop to at least the 12% level… but still not there. If I compare just last week to this, taking into consideration my change in BW and BF, it appears as if I lost lean mass as well. But if I average everything out from the beginning, it says I lost about 7lbs of BF and gained about 1lb of LBM.

As of Friday, the calories I consume on training days is around 2200, while non-training days I’m around 1800, both numbers getting around 1.5g Protein per lb of BW. I actually have my meals all planned out in Excel, with macronutrient calculations and everything, so if we ever had to go into more detail, I have it.

Next week I’ll take a progress picture, because using the mirror test, I definitely think I look leaner than last month, but still not at the level of leanness I’d like to be by the time I start bulking.

Does anything seem wrong? Or is everything I described fairly normal at this point in the process? I’m happy about everything. I guess the only thing bothering me is the fact that I didn’t lose more bodyfat over this past week, considering dropping almost 3 lbs of bodyweight.

[quote]Tonino wrote:
Sunday, 3/13/11

Updated Stats (end of Week 5)

BW - 160.0 lbs (-2.8 from last week, total of -6.0)
Waist - 33.25" (-0.25 from last week, total of 0.75")
BF - 12.44% (-0.65% from last week, total of -3.8%)

Comments:
This week I saw my biggest bodyweight drop (-2.8 lbs), so I would have expected my BF to drop to at least the 12% level… but still not there. If I compare just last week to this, taking into consideration my change in BW and BF, it appears as if I lost lean mass as well. But if I average everything out from the beginning, it says I lost about 7lbs of BF and gained about 1lb of LBM.

As of Friday, the calories I consume on training days is around 2200, while non-training days I’m around 1800, both numbers getting around 1.5g Protein per lb of BW. I actually have my meals all planned out in Excel, with macronutrient calculations and everything, so if we ever had to go into more detail, I have it.

Next week I’ll take a progress picture, because using the mirror test, I definitely think I look leaner than last month, but still not at the level of leanness I’d like to be by the time I start bulking.

Does anything seem wrong? Or is everything I described fairly normal at this point in the process? I’m happy about everything. I guess the only thing bothering me is the fact that I didn’t lose more bodyfat over this past week, considering dropping almost 3 lbs of bodyweight.[/quote]

Don’t let it mess with your head lol. If your strength is improving, there’s no way you’re losing muscle. Water weight maybe. Or internal fat too (waist went down).

What you’re looking for is over-all levels (average) rather than every week. If you get to hung up about little tiny changes it’ll screw with your head.

Remember what I said a while back about gaining? That it comes in peaks and troughs.

It’s up to you whether you want to carry on longer with the diet. Just allow this phase (post rest) to sort of catch up (if you know what I mean)…as soon as you’re into new poundages, it’ll show.

^^

you’re absolutely right, I’m over thinking this and letting it get to my head. lesson learned. I’ll stick to the diet you recommended … and will hit the gym hard this week!

Monday, 3/14/11 (Legs/Shoulders)

Back Squat
95/3
115/3
135/3
155/3
165/3
175/3
185/3 (PR)
165/9

Standing Calf Raises
135/3
185/3
225/3 (PR)
205/15

Seated BB Press
55/3
65/3
75/3
85/3
95/3
105/3
115/3 (PR)
105/6

Side (Power) Raises
20/3
30/3
35/2* (form broke down)
25/20

Deadlifts
135/3
155/3
185/3
205/3
225/3
245/3
270/2 (PR)

Comments:
Great session. I hit a number of PRs. I moved Deadlifts to the end of my workout today to allow enough recovery after Back Squats. 270 felt heavy, but I felt like I “owned” the first 2 reps. I went for a 3rd rep, but my form started breaking down, so I stopped the set.

Question - on those exercises where I “owned” the last set of 3 (e.g. Back Squat at 185), do I increase the weight by 5-10 lbs on BOTH work sets AND blast set, regardless of how many reps I got during the blast set? In the past, I’ve done 15 reps of the Back Squat at 165 lbs, but today I only got 9 during my blast set (obviously due to fatigue from the prior work sets).

[quote]Tonino wrote:
Monday, 3/14/11 (Legs/Shoulders)

Back Squat
95/3
115/3
135/3
155/3
165/3
175/3
185/3 (PR)
165/9

Standing Calf Raises
135/3
185/3
225/3 (PR)
205/15

Seated BB Press
55/3
65/3
75/3
85/3
95/3
105/3
115/3 (PR)
105/6

Side (Power) Raises
20/3
30/3
35/2* (form broke down)
25/20

Deadlifts
135/3
155/3
185/3
205/3
225/3
245/3
270/2 (PR)

Comments:
Great session. I hit a number of PRs. I moved Deadlifts to the end of my workout today to allow enough recovery after Back Squats. 270 felt heavy, but I felt like I “owned” the first 2 reps. I went for a 3rd rep, but my form started breaking down, so I stopped the set.

Question - on those exercises where I “owned” the last set of 3 (e.g. Back Squat at 185), do I increase the weight by 5-10 lbs on BOTH work sets AND blast set, regardless of how many reps I got during the blast set? In the past, I’ve done 15 reps of the Back Squat at 165 lbs, but today I only got 9 during my blast set (obviously due to fatigue from the prior work sets).[/quote]

It doesn’t make a world of difference to be honest, either way you are still fatiguing the muscle within a decent percentage of your 1RM. But just for the sake of knowing what to do, just stick to the percentages of your last ramp set (blast set is always based on last ramp set). So if you improve on the ramp set (get more weight), then blast set will increase too. If ramp set doesn’t go up, you may use same load as before on the blast set and either aim for the same reps or another rep if possible.

Tuesday, 3/15/11 (Cardio session)

Forgot to say before a few important things to keep in mind:

While you’re trimming the fat down to 10% or so, you’ll actually feel quite a bit smaller and crapy. You’ll fill your clothes less and look in the mirror and feel flat (no real definition, and no decent size either!).

This is perfectly normal! lol It’s mainly due to losing muscle glycogen/water…along with not having any definition. This is usually the point where people give it up and bulk again.

When you start getting under 10%, you start to look better and feel better. The definition starts to come out more, and gives the illusion of being bigger/more built/developed.

However, it all depends on how long you have to diet for as to what to do next. You don’t want to be dieting for longer than 12-16 weeks because this is when you risk losing muscle (you have to keep lowering calories) and your metabolism has proper slowed down.

Better to break it up and intermittently gain (bulk) first. This gets metabolism going again and steers the body away from shock mode/survival mode.

Also, the more muscle you gain, the better the proportions look. So even if you’re not blown away with your physique at the end of this phase, and feel a bit hesitant/undecided about bulking, it is actually for the best - this time next year, I guarantee that you WOULD LOOK BETTER weighing 190lbs at 15% bodyfat, than you do weighing 160lbs at 12% bodyfat just now EVEN though that’s a gain of almost 10lbs of fat (with the 20lbs of muscle)…it’s all to do with proportions. Obviously, I’d say that 15% bodyfat is definitely the upper limit…and I’m not saying that you HAVE to gain that much; that’s just a “worst case” scenario.

Forgot to say before a few important things to keep in mind:

While you’re trimming the fat down to 10% or so, you’ll actually feel quite a bit smaller and crapy. You’ll fill your clothes less and look in the mirror and feel flat (no real definition, and no decent size either!).

This is perfectly normal! lol It’s mainly due to losing muscle glycogen/water…along with not having any definition. This is usually the point where people give it up and bulk again.

When you start getting under 10%, you start to look better and feel better. The definition starts to come out more, and gives the illusion of being bigger/more built/developed.

However, it all depends on how long you have to diet for as to what to do next. You don’t want to be dieting for longer than 12-16 weeks because this is when you risk losing muscle (you have to keep lowering calories) and your metabolism has proper slowed down.

Better to break it up and intermittently gain (bulk) first. This gets metabolism going again and steers the body away from shock mode/survival mode.

Also, the more muscle you gain, the better the proportions look. So even if you’re not blown away with your physique at the end of this phase, and feel a bit hesitant/undecided about bulking, it is actually for the best - this time next year, I guarantee that you WOULD LOOK BETTER weighing 190lbs at 15% bodyfat, than you do weighing 160lbs at 12% bodyfat just now EVEN though that’s a gain of almost 10lbs of fat (with the 20lbs of muscle)…it’s all to do with proportions. Obviously, I’d say that 15% bodyfat is definitely the upper limit…and I’m not saying that you HAVE to gain that much; that’s just a “worst case” scenario.[/quote]

Good points. It’s amazing, though, how a loss of only 6 pounds is noticeable via the “mirror” test. As I’ve said before, I can’t see abs or striations yet, but I can definitely tell that I’m carrying less fat than last month. I never consistently measured body fat until recently, but I bet that when I first started bulking back last July, that I was already close to 15% bodyfat or so… and after reading Shelby Starnes article on body fat, that could’ve been a contributor to my bulk not being as successful as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I was very excited about gaining close to 20lbs, but since I never measured bodyfat, I’m not sure how efficient I was in terms of muscle:fat ratio. I look at this phase as not only “damage control”. but also, as Shelby pointed out, allowing my body to set a new “base” weight.

It’s funny, in your example you threw out 190 lbs at 15% bodyfat. When my peers (read: those NOT serious with bodybuilding) ask me what weight I’d like to be at by end of year, I always respond 190… to which their response is always… impossible! you don’t have the frame nor bone structure to hold that weight… you’ll just end up getting fat!

Anyways, I’m very excited about starting up the BULK phase again, but I’m very patient and willing to work my ass off to at least try and get below 10% BF. But I don’t want to sacrifice muscle in the process, especially not at my current weight of only 160 lbs! So I’ll stick with this phase until you feel that its starting to become counterproductive (which I’m sure will be evident in my numbers as well).

Wednesday, 3/16/11 (Chest/Back/Arms)

BB Incline Bench
85/3
95/3
105/3
115/3
125/3
135/3
145/1 (the 1 happened to be the 2nd rep, I had to be spotted on the 1st and 3rd)
125/7

BB Decline Bench
75/3
125/3
155/3 (PR)
140/8

BB Rows
70/3
90/3
100/3
110/3
120/3
130/3
140/3 (PR)
125/11

Lat Pulldown (Nautilus machine)
110/3
150/3
190/3 (PR)
200/3 (PR) (190 felt fairly easy, so I knew I had a go at 200)
180/11

BB Curls
37.5/3
57.5/3
77.5/3
67.5/13

Skull crushers
30/3
50/3
72.5/3 (PR)
62.5/15

Comments-
The session started off poorly when I only got 1 rep at 145 lbs on BB Incline Bench, but it picked up after that, seeing as I hit PRs on Decline Bench, Rows, Pulldowns and Skull Crushers. Next Chest day, I’ll focus on 140 lbs for Incline… I was probably being too aggressive with the 145.

One other note, today’s Lat Pulldowns felt great. I read an article on this site (not sure which one, but it was recent) where it talked about proper form with Pulldowns, and how you should puff out your chest and focus on bringing in your elbows as opposed to bringing down your arms. Well, I applied that today, and they felt incredibly easier than last Back workout.

[quote]Tonino wrote:
Good points. It’s amazing, though, how a loss of only 6 pounds is noticeable via the “mirror” test. As I’ve said before, I can’t see abs or striations yet, but I can definitely tell that I’m carrying less fat than last month. I never consistently measured body fat until recently, but I bet that when I first started bulking back last July, that I was already close to 15% bodyfat or so… and after reading Shelby Starnes article on body fat, that could’ve been a contributor to my bulk not being as successful as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I was very excited about gaining close to 20lbs, but since I never measured bodyfat, I’m not sure how efficient I was in terms of muscle:fat ratio. I look at this phase as not only “damage control”. but also, as Shelby pointed out, allowing my body to set a new “base” weight.

It’s funny, in your example you threw out 190 lbs at 15% bodyfat. When my peers (read: those NOT serious with bodybuilding) ask me what weight I’d like to be at by end of year, I always respond 190… to which their response is always… impossible! you don’t have the frame nor bone structure to hold that weight… you’ll just end up getting fat!

Anyways, I’m very excited about starting up the BULK phase again, but I’m very patient and willing to work my ass off to at least try and get below 10% BF. But I don’t want to sacrifice muscle in the process, especially not at my current weight of only 160 lbs! So I’ll stick with this phase until you feel that its starting to become counterproductive (which I’m sure will be evident in my numbers as well).
[/quote]

Where’s this article that you’re talking about btw? I’ve heard good things about Shelby…

Don’t get me wrong, I respect many authors, and they definitely know their stuff, but sometimes some of them can be a bit too precise if you get what I mean. Sometimes it just seems like they are more interested in showing people how clever they are, than simply “getting it done”. I feel that they don’t always put themselves in the shoes of the newer lifter who often latches onto every word they say.

For the “average Joe”, living a pretty standard lifestyle, they need something simple and more ‘vague’ to follow. As an example, it’s no use saying that it’s better to gain 1.5lbs of bodyweight per month rather than 3 or 4lbs…“normal” people just can’t be that precise (besides the fact that this is terrible advice for those who struggle to gain weight). Better to simply over-shoot a little and trim whenever necessary. Is it optimal? Maybe not as much as “perfect” precision, BUT it doesn’t take the fun out of it and it prevents stagnation (ensuring longer term gains) - which happens 9/10 when people try to follow things to the letter.

LOL at your peers. 190lbs (30lbs in a year) is hardly over reaching…certainly not if you are gaining a little fat too (10lbs of fat out of 30lbs is hardly ALL fat). That goal maybe out of reach for the majority of trainees who don’t have a clue what they’re doing lol. But you still have plenty natural potential left to go.

[quote]Tonino wrote:
Wednesday, 3/16/11 (Chest/Back/Arms)

BB Incline Bench
85/3
95/3
105/3
115/3
125/3
135/3
145/1 (the 1 happened to be the 2nd rep, I had to be spotted on the 1st and 3rd)
125/7

BB Decline Bench
75/3
125/3
155/3 (PR)
140/8

BB Rows
70/3
90/3
100/3
110/3
120/3
130/3
140/3 (PR)
125/11

Lat Pulldown (Nautilus machine)
110/3
150/3
190/3 (PR)
200/3 (PR) (190 felt fairly easy, so I knew I had a go at 200)
180/11

BB Curls
37.5/3
57.5/3
77.5/3
67.5/13

Skull crushers
30/3
50/3
72.5/3 (PR)
62.5/15

Comments-
The session started off poorly when I only got 1 rep at 145 lbs on BB Incline Bench, but it picked up after that, seeing as I hit PRs on Decline Bench, Rows, Pulldowns and Skull Crushers. Next Chest day, I’ll focus on 140 lbs for Incline… I was probably being too aggressive with the 145.

One other note, today’s Lat Pulldowns felt great. I read an article on this site (not sure which one, but it was recent) where it talked about proper form with Pulldowns, and how you should puff out your chest and focus on bringing in your elbows as opposed to bringing down your arms. Well, I applied that today, and they felt incredibly easier than last Back workout.[/quote]

One thing I’ve noticed with your workouts is that you must have quite a high concentration of slower twitch muscles - typically for this type of muscle you can really feel the difference in even slow jumps in load between one set to the next with low reps, but as soon as you decrease the load just a little, you manage quite a few more reps.

Looks like in the future you’ll be better suited to the 8-15 rep range (lower reps for compound, higher for single joint movements). Although this is just speculation…will just wait and see how most of your workouts go…

You also “seem” to have quite a low capacity for very high intensity training, maybe something to look into in the near future (but stick to it for now). Good training’s all about figuring out what works, and dropping what doesn’t…so don’t fret if things do change.

Good news on the lats. Always better to improve mind-muscle connection (this also comes with experience).

Where’s this article that you’re talking about btw? I’ve heard good things about Shelby…
[/quote]

Here’s the Shelby article… and yes, you’re right, in the beginning, I opted to follow some of the advice to an exact science, but this just makes the process more difficult. The easier the process, the easier is seems to be successful and make progress. Just my 2cents.

You also “seem” to have quite a low capacity for very high intensity training, maybe something to look into in the near future (but stick to it for now). Good training’s all about figuring out what works, and dropping what doesn’t…so don’t fret if things do change.
[/quote]

Another thing that I’ve noticed is that, in terms of development, my upper chest seems to lag behind middle and lower chest (and I know, I shouldn’t be talking about different areas of chest development at a measly 160lbs!) … but just something that I noted, especially in my progress pictures…