thughts on conjugated periodization

This is a complex method of rotating special exercises that are close in nature, in our case, to the powerlifts. This method also increases special strength qualities and perfects coordination, which will help advance technical skill. First, and most important, is to properly select exercises that address your particular problems. It could be an exercise that will build up a lagging muscle group or a special strength, such as starting, eccentric, or accelerating strength.

On max effort day the entire volume consists of unidirectional loading. One training workout con?tributes to the next. Keep in mind that if you train a lift at 90% or more for more than 3 weeks, your central nervous system is negatively and your progress will go backward. But by switching exercises each week (for the high-level lifter), you can use 100% and more each week. The sequence of exercises you use does not matter, as long as the load is maximal.

thanks to louie for this material.

During a max effort workout you may only have one true max effort. But that doesnt mean that the other reps you do wont be hard or have a training effect.

Goldie,

Yeah, I understand the reasoning behind switching the exercises to avoid CNS fatigue and regression. I was more thinking along the lines how the Max Effort days would relate to 5X5 or GVT for instance.

With either of those programs, there’s a specific overload that you’re looking to acheive by doing that particular protocol. By using the law of repeated efforts, your CNS eventually accepts the load as normal and strenght increases.

With the Max Effort, it’s more of a pyramid up in weigth, right? So what would be the neurological effect of that style of pyramid? I’m not sure, that’s the only reason I bring it up.

I really like that idea of using an exercise on Max Effort that addresses a weakness. I’ve been using that system for some time now. But I generally use a specific set/rep scheme depending on the exercise and what I’m looking to accomplish.

The cool thing about this discussion/debate is that the more we talk back and fourth, the more I realize how close my way of doing things is to the Westside template.

Maybe there’s hope for me afterall, eh Martin? I think we’ll always be apart on a few issues. But there seems to be more middle ground than either of us have been willing to admit too.

Rob I am glad we could work this out and I can tell you are a very smart guy and I know I can learn a lot from you, by the way my best freind is a baseball player from canada…big martin

Big Martin, I see you mentioned reading up on coach x at elite. The only stuff i’ve found is on their message board, am I missing something? does he have articles under a different name? The posts on there are great, but I’d love to have a greater understanding of his methods before reading them.

Just to bring back the baseball player training…what do you guys think of having baseball players doing olympic lifts? Being an ex ballplayer myself I realize how any type of injury to the shoulder can lead to further problems and end a career fast. Catching a weight over head as in the snatch i feel puts way to much stress on a shoulder that takes a beating already. Most ballplayers, no matter how well balanced their training is, have a throwing shoulder that is different than the other one (range of motion, ect.)and i feel that this can lead to problems when doing very complex movements such as a snatch. Im a big fan of westside training for baseball players as the posterior chain is vital in this sport, as well as explosiveness, both of which westside training delivers. Big Martin touched on this some, but I’d love to hear how some of you incorporate the westside principles into a baseball players training during the year?

Okay, everyone, group hug!

Martin, seriously, we’ll have a lot more fun and learn a lot more now that we have that common ground worked out. I’m glad that we are on better terms now as well.

Your best friend is Canadian? Yeah, we’re cool people once you get to know us.

Rob

I think, like BM said, most baseballers are weak. So I’d start using WSB template for general strength and power. I’d pay careful attention to rotator cuff musculature. Once they are stronger we would work from there. I think that in throwing sports the shoulders get a ton of work, by throwing, so we’d try to minimize shoulder stress. Maybe cleans/clean pulls for LA training.

boss14, pm me and i can elaborate some more info on coach x there are no articles written by him online but i know a lot about his style…

oly lifts for baseball players yes on the hybrids no on takeing the time to teach them how to do these very very difficult exerscices. i like the hang clean and powerclean but other than that i dont use oly lifts, i use them primarly as latic acid work, i liked your post a lot and agree with you…big martin

Definitely concentrate on the ‘hybrid’ type of lifts that Martin suggested. The techinique will generally be the limiting factor when it comes to the traditional lifts.

I’ve had a lot of personal success with Dumbell Snatches. I haven’t used them as much lately, but I worked up to doing a 4RM with 100 pounds. Works well to improve ‘hip drive’, shoulder stanbility.

Don’t forget to incorporate a lot of Lat work into your training. Weighted Chins and Pull-Ups were the biggest difference in my training this year versus last year and the amount of power I was able to generate went up by at least an estimated 25%.

Poliquin states that most athletes have weak lats. We all agree that strength is the big deficit when it comes to baseball players. Poloquin also states Lat strength is one of the biggest determinents of Bat Speed and Power (along with the Triceps and Hip and Knee extensors). So train them heavy and train them for speed. You’ll see big improvements in bats speed and power and also arm strength.

i love one arm snatches for any sport. like rob was saying, they really help train hip drive but do more for shoulder and even wrist stabilization with regards to baseball. i feel that for me, barbell snatches per dino training, renegade, etc. work a bit better than DB just for that very reason, stabilization. the cool thing about bar snatches, is once you get the tech, you can perform as much weight as a DB snatch.

with regards to shoulder differences, the only way to keep ROM near even is to stretch the throwing shoulder and throw with the non-throwing arm. think about it, you can train unilaterally forever, but if you don’t do the same unilateral exercises for each extremity, you will become imbalanced. for most, this is not efficient. who wants to spend 10 minutes throwing like a girl?? especially when a ball player really doesn’t need to throw opposite handed. bottom line, a throwing shoulder recieves more trauma, it will be more restricted.

most ball players have adhesions built up in their throwing shoulder which can cause…A/C joint, supraspinatus impingement, and other cuff issues. all of these players can benefit from soft tissue mobilization techniques like active release and graston as well as their stretching and strengthening.

Good info guys,
I’ll join the DB snatch fan club too. I like switching periods between DB and BB 1 arm version