Things You’ve Always Wondered About

I’m pretty sure harassing penguins is a crime in some places

2 Likes

There is no law in Antarctica

3 Likes

Isn’t that where the NAZIs have a secret base and the US government is also hiding the fact that there’s a massive UFO hidden in the Ice? I saw it on the movie “The Thing”. I’ve always wondered about this

1 Like

Speaking of secret Nazi bases and UFO’s

1 Like

clearly

3 Likes

It’s like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Maybe Arthur C. Clarke was predictive after all.

1 Like

I rate this as more interesting than crop circles by a significant margin.

I hope for at least one documentary per year over the next 5 years, a few current affairs exposes and a new movie.

That’s my new thing learned for today.

Idk if that’s science fiction anymore :joy:

1 Like

I love Cold War ideas, from both sides. One of my favourites:

In order to reach ramjet speed, it would be launched from the ground by a cluster of conventional rocket boosters. Once it reached cruising altitude and was far away from populated areas, the nuclear reactor would be made critical. Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered “down to the deck” for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM, as proposed, would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. It was proposed that after delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing secondary damage from radiation.

The weapon was considered “too provocative”

3 Likes

Regans unwillingness to give up “Star Wars” derailed multiple efforts at improving relations

Definitely not.
US and other military have been working on rail guns for years. That’s essentially the same thing (dense projectile fired at high speed with no explosives) on a smaller scale.
The show “Future Weapons” had a segment on it once. Showed a video of a tank being destroyed by a high speed tungsten projectile.

Edit:

2 Likes

Conspiracy time: the Cold War is a myth. US and USSR leaders just wanted an excuse to build and test cool weapons :joy::joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Someone needs to tell them the Cold War is over because they’re both still doing it

3 Likes

You could be right.

Michael Crichton did imply something similar(creation of fear for compliance of citizens to their governments) and claimed the new “manufactured” existential threat was Global Warming:

• A key concept, delivered from the eccentric Professor Hoffman, suggests, in Hoffman’s words, the existence of a “politico-legal-media” complex, comparable to the “military-industrial complex,” of the Cold War era. Hoffman insists climate science began using more extreme, fear-inducing terms such as “crisis,” “catastrophe,” and, “disaster,” shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall, in order to maintain a level of fear in citizens, for the purpose of social control, since the specter of Soviet Communism was gone. This “state of fear” gives the book its title.

(Not serious, you SJW snowflake fucks. Go back into your safe spaces or you’ll melt.)

4 Likes

I’d bet that the details have already been worked out, if not the actual mechanisms.

What blows my mind is the cost of Tungsten. Little 3/32 rods are like a few $$ each.

Military be like “Let’s launch telephone pole sized ones from space!” :joy:

That’s like a trillion dollar boom.

1 Like

What if the German army had attacked Moscow instead of Stalingrad? My understanding is that the Wehrmacht was very close to Moscow and that the general staff intended to press on and try to capture it, but Hitler insisted on turning south to capture Stalin’s namesake. Of course, we know how that ended. Could the Germans have taken Moscow? If they had, would the outcome of the war have been different?

2 Likes

They needed to take Stalingrad/go south for the oil, they were already running short on 1941.

Not without more oil

Probably not. The soviets would likely have just moved the capital like the Chinese did

If you’re interested in this, there’s an amazing YouTube channel called TIK history that breaks everything down in extreme detail

The nukes dropped on Japan were designed to be dropped on Germany but Germany crumbled too fast so they weren’t quite ready.

So there would have been a different ending, yes.

1 Like