The Supreme Court Fight is On. The Divide Worsens

I know, right? Awful weird for a country founded on federalism to care about them weird states rights thingies.

The top 4 states (8%) represent 33% of the population. The top 9 states (18%) represent 51% of the population. I happen to live in one of the 41 states that make up the remaining 49% of the population. I don’t know about you, but it’d be nice if my state was represented in national elections.

House Representation is already based on population (California has 12% of the reps (53) and 7 states have a single rep).

It’s just another check on power. More populous states get more representation in the House. Less populous states have their votes weighted during Presidential elections.

3 Likes

And take it from me, a guy that votes Independent or Republican cycle after cycle knowing full well that it will mean nothing in Maryland (usually) because I live outside Montgomery, PG, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore County (56% of pop, 17% of the counties), you don’t want to be governed by urban centers if you live in rural America.

Whatever plebian. The Federal Republican systems is over. Direct democracy is clearly superior as is one large centralized government to oversee and administer government to the masses of you unwashed filth…i mean valued voters…

2 Likes

Sorry, I had a few minutes to think before the two minutes hate started. My bad.

Oh I’m aware. I just don’t agree to the significance. I’m not a states rights kinda guy

Tldr: areas with more people have more say in what happens, except in the most important election on the planet. Then it’s the opposite.

This is the issue, for me. Feds shouldn’t hold as much power as they do. I get that that’s reality (or perception depending on your view on power) but it seems to me trying to enforce an ever growing number of laws onto a populous as large and diverse as ours will only continue to breed unconstitutional infringements on our Natural rights. I get the slippery slope argument is a fallacy, none-the-less continuing down the road of increasing the power of a central authority will only lead to less power to the people - at least how I see it. People believe the Government has x amount of control of presence in their daily lives, that’s how much control Government WILL have. The more they’re convinced of such, the more it so shall be. What’s the quote - government is downstream from culture?

in their local and state elections - possibly in culture if one is so inclined to pay attention to those types of things…

1 Like

And during Senate elections. The Senate votes cast by citizens of less populous states count for vastly more than do those of citizens in more populous states.

2 Likes

Hey, hey! Ho, ho! Give localism a go!

What? Everyone’s marching and chanting these days.

Ugh. Sorry, you can’t be a lefty until you up your chant game.

You kid, but honestly that chanting shit is so creepy. It brings me back to my days chanting the Apostolic Creed

Were you a Gregorian monk in a previous life?

All the cool Catholics chant the creed.

…among other things

Is there any other way?

Impromptu rock opera, of course.

what are we, Baptists?

Which, when creating laws, is countered by the more populous states having more representatives in the house.

Which brings me back to:

Hell no, we baptise early, before they can get cold feet.

1 Like

I (?and @pfury?) are talking about the influence enjoyed by individual citizens, not states. And given the advantages they enjoy in the EC and the Senate, it is clear (to me) that citizens of less-populous states have greater representation than do citizens of more-populous states.

2 Likes

Kavanaugh belonged to something called “The Catholic Posse”.

Their secret call was a boof…