The Supreme Court Fight is On. The Divide Worsens

Ginsberg and Breyer are both octogenarian and Thomas has been rumbling about retirement for a while. It could be much more than one.

1 Like

Agree.

After the Anita Hill hearings…his voluntary retirement; in order to pave the way for a younger Conservative appointee; could be a big “Fu*%K you!” to the DEMS.

One other point…

Even with this win…it was narrow…and the narrowest since (the 1800’s?)

Trump and the GOP still need to be careful about who they nominate.

This brutal “win” by no means represented some mandate.

Yes, indeed. Indeed!

(Hey, guys! Sorry for talking so much on this thread…but I think it’s an important one…and while I have had my share of levity…hell…you HAVE to laugh at Politics sometimes to keep from crying…the SCOTUS can have a lasting impact on all of us).

One thing about the recent history of the Court; that people can sometimes get tripped up on; is thinking that ones Political Ideology will accurately predict the way a Justice will rule.

Statistically; on most decisions; one is probably right. But with decisions that could have a lasting impact on the Nation as a whole? Not so much.

These Justices are very smart people aware of both the immediate AND long-lasting effects of their decisions (God only knows that they were thinking with “Citizens United”)…

They are also very human…and aware of their own legacies…

Justice Kavanaugh will be very interesting to watch, because he can go two ways…the revengeful, “Trumpian” way…voting to strike down anything and everything in his path that even “smells” Left-leaning…OR he can become more measured and analytical; looking at each case based on it’s legal merit; as he said he would…rising above the brutul partisanship that almost derailed his nomination.

We’ll see.

Well said. Yet, he better decide my way.

1 Like

Abortion is legal. Gay marriage is legal. Weed is legal in many places. METOO, like it or not, is real. Kapernick is still getting paid. Women and minorities are getting more involved in politics. Hillary won the popular vote. Al Gore won the popular vote. More people believe in climate change. The GOP platform is going the way of the dodo.

2 Likes

That’s a stupid question and I bet you don’t even see what you have implied by asking it. I’ll help you out: when you ask who hates Israel more, you are saying that both sides hate Israel.

These women are gender traitors, to borrow a term from the dystopian TV series “The Handmaid’s Tale.” They’ve made standing by the patriarchy a full-time job. The women who support them show up at the Capitol wearing “Women for Kavanaugh” T-shirts, but also probably tell their daughters to put on less revealing clothes when they go out…

…We’re talking about white women. The same 53 percent who put their racial privilege ahead of their second-class gender status in 2016 by voting to uphold a system that values only their whiteness, just as they have for decades.

Yes, yes. Please, do continue.

1 Like

Zecarlo your a real stickler for semantics aren’t you.

pat isn’t submitting a thesis for review. He is engaging in political discourse on a bodybuilding forum clearly thats his first mistake.

Its obvious what he is asking. And if it isn’t ask for clarification. Also you didn’t answer him. Something you consistently do in your responses.

1 Like

Remember, if Gore had won his home state he would have been president.

The popular vote stuff has been discussed up and down but The United States are United States. If we go back to the founding it’s very clear why the electoral college exists and it’s just as relevant now than ever.

“We have a highly partisan executive branch; we have a highly partisan legislative branch; we now have injected that partisanship into the judicial branch.”

Senator Heidi Heitkamp

Now?

1 Like

I’d almost want them to nominate Garland to see what the dems do. High likelihood it is Barrett, though. Which will have similarly interesting options for the DNC.

Fixed it for you.

I didn’t defend that fuckery, but I take the point nonetheless.

1 Like

Because it’s a stupid question for the reason I mentioned. I don’t believe hating Israel has any connection to party affiliation.

I really would have to wonder even more about the sanity of the Congress…

The last thing needed is another nasty fight.

It doesn’t.