The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

Pffft, you were on an airplane. #gravitypriviledge

3 Likes

So is it likely he’s had some neurological insult (injury or TIA)?

Certainly a possibility. But congenital misalignment is much more common, as is misalignment after losing sight in the eye.

As an aside, TIA stands for transient ischemic attack, so by definition the effects of such an event are temporary (generally lasting minutes, occasionally an hour or two).

That article reminded me of this.

The identity politics gets really complicated, and divisive.

Obama needs to check his privilege, not because he’s American but because his father was an immigrant.

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM | Combating White Supremacy Should Not Entail Throwing Other Black Students Under the Bus

1 Like

It’s all crazienss and at the end of the day what does all this even accomplish?

1 Like

Interesting

Scott A. Johnson D.C.

Eat a few Tide pods for a well balanced approach.

4 Likes

Is this really stoopid? Seems to me the BSU is acknowledging the distinction between blackness as a manifestation of American racial history and blackness as a manifestation of the number of melanocytes in one’s skin. One manifestation is worthy of reparative efforts on the part of an American university; the other is the lowest form of knee-jerk identity politics. I think they should be commended for the distinction they’re drawing.

Damn, that is a special breed of stupid. That’s ridiculous
why would you even WANT to try pesticides?

1 Like

Hi EyeDentist.

@usmccds’s post is about Black Americans checking their privilege for being American. It called to mind this situation where some African American students want to distinguish themselves from recent African Immigrants whose ancestors did not experience slavery. It’s a bit of a reversal form usmc’s article, right? The longer you’ve been in America, the MORE oppressed you are.

In terms of experiences -
Starvation, malaria, extreme poverty, probable FGM if you’re a woman, conscription into child armies, and running for your life from warlords, AIDS orphans, and very likely slavery within Africa in your ancestry. These people are MORE privileged than the African American kid at Cornell whose ancestors experienced slavery and Jim Crow. AND they’d like that distinction made. Well

You can decide how deep the identity politics divisions need to go, and if you think it’s productive to have Black students divided against each other, fighting over who is more aggrieved. I think that’s essentially what’s happening here.

I’ll respectfully disagree with you about this, and other issues relating to identity politics. I sincerely like you and hope you’re doing well, despite the two of us often getting our wires crossed here.

From the WSJ on the topic if you’re interested.

Paywalled -

"A century ago, colleges cared if your ancestors came over on the Mayflower. Now some are demanding that when universities admit black students, they give preference to descendants of those who arrived on slave ships. Black Students United at Cornell last month insisted the university “come up with a plan to actively increase the presence of underrepresented Black students.” The group noted, “We define underrepresented Black students as Black Americans who have several generations (more than two) in this country.”

After widespread criticism—including a student op-ed with the headline “Combating White Supremacy Should Not Entail Throwing Other Black Students Under the Bus”—the group backtracked, sort of. It apologized for “any conflicting feelings this demand may have garnered from the communities we represent.” But if the purpose of racial preferences is to promote “diversity,” as the Supreme Court has held, why don’t immigrants count?

The BSU argued that “the Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students. While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African Holocaust in America.”

There’s a contradiction here. For years liberal writers have blamed black poverty and undereducation on racism—the experience of being more likely to be pulled over by police, to be looked at suspiciously in department stores, to be discriminated against in schools and the workplace.

But it doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not to the same degree, among immigrants. “The more strongly black immigrant students identify with their specific ethnic origins, the better they perform [academically],” Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld observed in their 2014 book, “The Triple Package.”

Anecdotal examples are easy to find. The website Face2FaceAfrica noted in April that Ifeoma White-Thorpe, a New Jersey teen born in Nigeria, had joined “a remarkable roll call of high-flying African-American students who were accepted into all 8 Ivy League Universities.” Among them: Ghanaian-American Kwasi Enin, Somali-American Munira Khalif and Nigerian-Americans Harold Ekeh and Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna.

Why does racism not seem to keep black immigrants down? The answer is obvious: Black immigrant culture tends to value academic achievement and believe it is possible no matter what happened to your ancestors. As one business school graduate born to Nigerian parents tells Ms. Chua and Mr. Rubenfeld: “If you start thinking about or becoming absorbed in the mentality that the whole system is against us then you cannot succeed.”

Groups like the Cornell BSU insist that the system is out to get them and they cannot succeed. This makes the presence of high-achieving immigrant black students inconvenient. Between diversity and victimhood as the highest good in today’s academia, it’s hard to know where to place your money."

I think their argument is more along the lines of, Your family has to have lived in America a number of generations in order for the effects of systemic and de jure institutional racism to have significantly impacted your lot in life.

All true, all tragic. But none of those issues are a result of American institutional racism. Thus, to the extent that a university’s outreach program is intended to offset the refractory effects of America’s racist history, the admission of students residing in Africa–no matter how tragic their circumstances–is no more apt than would be the admission of paler students from other troubled parts of the world.

But they’re not fighting over who is more aggrieved. Rather, they’re pointing out that programs intended to offset America’s racial legacy cannot count as successes the matriculation of students who in no way were impacted by that legacy. Further, to the extent such admissions deplete the resources dedicated to offsetting American racism, these admissions actually have the opposite effect of that intended. Again, I think their acknowledgement of this–the fact that they’re unwilling to simply engage in reflexive, melanocyte-based tribalism–is to their credit.

Edit: Just saw the WSJ article.

Exactly. But this makes my argument, not yours.

I believe the reason for @anon71262119 's inclusion of her article was to point out that the SJW’s in @anon50325502 's post viewed being American as a privilege that black people in America had over black folk elsewhere.

Whereas in her article the students believed that black immigrants had privilege over black people born here.

The point being in the modern grievance conversation, “privilege” is whatever the aggrieved group claims it is.

1 Like

The SJW Privaldge Monster is eating itself alive. It’d be comical if it weren’t’ so tragic.

1 Like

I hope that wasn’t her point, because it’s a gross mischaracterization of the positions. As laid out in my comment above, the BSU issue with African-student admissions has nothing to do with their ‘privilege.’

Can’t resist

http://tribunist.com/news/protestors-call-for-assault-weapon-ban-because-they-can-like-cause-more-deaths-than-one/

1 Like

@anon50325502 That’s more or less what I was expecting from the gun policy thread. Maybe 6 or 7 posts out of a thousand actually articulated any kind of specific policy, and those were all from people who were generally pro gun.

I could respect a position like “ban the sale and possession of all semi automatic weapons and double action revolvers”. That’s at least consistent and fairly clear. You can discuss it. Banning assault weapons is meaningless, unless you’re using it as a political club to use on your opponents.

2 Likes

c73ac865e76c02bff6049c42b836e4300f38b1982bc2daa7574f729f0402ff17

1 Like

I disagree with these points, and your assessment of what’s happening. And you’ve told me before that I do not understand the theory behind all of this, nor why it’s so necessary and important.

If you and Bolt could exchange hundreds of posts back and forth on this, and not see eye to eye on identity politics and it’s necessity, causes and solutions? 
 I’ll respectfully pass on engaging that topic again here. Anyone who wants to relive that discussion can go re-read that exchange somewhere up thread.

3 Likes

Well, that’s too bad. Maybe someone else will want to explore the issue.

Obama was a legacy student as his father was a Harvard grad.