The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

:star::star::star::star::star:

That is essentially every memory I have of minibikes, and there are many.

The only thing missing was a sticky throttle.

1 Like

I did find before the wreck that he had removed the governor… for reasons. But I got hurt going nice and slow.

1 Like

Those are the best ones!

One of my favorites was practicing endos on my mountain bike, and at just the perfect moment the shocks unloaded and my shoulder collapsed, folding me and the bike into an origami of pain. It happened so ridiculously slowly, but completely unstoppable.

1 Like

There are the times that try men’s souls, so we must abandon the scientific method.

From the 2019 Theme of The American Sociological Association

“In facing the growing normalization of racism, nationalism and xenophobia, many sociologists are critically examining the concept of objectivity and its role in maintaining hierarchies of power within the discipline. In exploring steps toward a more epistemologically sound construction of unbiased methodological processes in sociology, the following questions emerge: What does “objectivity” mean? What is the role of objectivity in our field? Are objectivity and detachment the only routes to scientific validity? Can the linkage between sociology and public engagement lead to a sounder science and weaken status hierarchies within the discipline? Does the reification of objectivity and detachment in the discipline serve to reinforce status hierarchies more than produce sound science?”

These questions mean that objectivity is highly subjective…

I suspect this is the Critical theorists and Intersectional Feminists who will tell you that data and statistics are used as forms of oppression, so instead let’s have anecdotes and personal stories. In other words, if quantitative data doesn’t support your world view? It must go.

Data

Also, I believe they want to make room for more of this kind “research.”

Got Mylk? ‘Break free from the exploitation and oppression long bound up in dairy milk.’ - Notable and Quotable WSJ this week.

From the abstract of a paper to be published next year in the Brooklyn Law Review:

Milk is one of the most ubiquitous and heavily regulated substances on the planet—and perhaps one of the most contested. It is tied closely to notions of purity, health, and femininity, and is seen as so central to human civilization that our own galaxy—the Milky Way—is named after it. But despite its wholesome reputation, milk has long had a sinister side, being bound up with the exploitation of the (human and nonhuman) bodies it comes from and being a symbol of and tool for white dominance and superiority. . . . This article . . . examines the legal, political, cultural, and linguistic forces behind the “milk wars” between dairy milk and plant milk advocates in both Europe and the United States. It examines the US-based battle over the word “milk” through the lens of letters and citizen petitions to the FDA, class action lawsuits, and a 2017 bill called the DAIRY PRIDE Act. . . . This article argues that while plant milk should not be legally prohibited from being called “milk,” it may not be a word worth fighting for given the entanglements of milk with the oppression and exploitation of women, people of color, and nonhuman animals. It explores plant milk’s potential as a “disruptive milk,” one that can break free from the exploitation and oppression long bound up in dairy milk, and argues that an act of verbal activism—replacing the “i” with a “y” to create “mylk”—may present plant milk advocates with an opportunity to reclaim and reinvent the word for the “post milk generation.”

That is weaponized crybullying.

If that type of thinking really catches on at that level we are going to spiral into a state of intellectual decay.

So in facing social and cultural trends that they feel are abandoning reason… they are considering abandoning reason as well. Perfect.

Sociologists man. What do they intend to replace objectivity and detachment with?

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. -Twain

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion. -Glasow

There are no facts, only interpretations. -Nietzche

1 Like

Sean Spicer, our press secretary – gave alternative facts. -Conway

1 Like

It’s only a big deal when the OTHER guys do it. Sheesh.

2 Likes

Here I thought we were discussing a branch of social scientists seriously considering abandoning objectivity in their field because being objective “creates power structures”.

Then @EyeDentist comes along and conflates sociologists to Kellyanne Conway. I’m not sure who should be more insulted, Conway or the sociologists… it’s close.

I didn’t realize we were lumping all sociologists in the “other” category and making this partisan. I will prepare better next time sensei.

2 Likes

You better. I’ll be in the shadows waiting to pounce if not

1 Like

My bad. I thought we were talking about people distorting reality to fit their agenda. Had no idea the most obvious current example of this was off limits.

1 Like

I think it does speak to the idea that it is only limited to young people who are under the influence of left wing professors.

2 Likes

Redundant.

Sincerely,

The Redundant Department of Redundancy

1 Like

You never went to college.

2 Likes

If the statistics differ from facts, facts must be changed - JV Stalin

2 Likes

One of the comments at the WSJ was, “what about chocolate milk?”

Then there is this one: “I’m so grateful to have friends who will tell me when I’m about to do something really stupid.”

“You know when society is fat, dumb and happy when stuff like this is written by the intellectuals.”

“What is the purpose of a “Law Review” publication? Judging from this abstract they are forums for budding comedy writers.”

My favorite: “Oy.”

1 Like

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. -The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

2 Likes

No big deal. He’s just the JV team.

4 Likes