The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

woke at 88,6 kg - 195,3 lbs
Same as yesterday, not eating enough, must eat more.

1 Like

Youā€™ll do it for sure. Just grip that bar like it owes you money.

1 Like

Try not to think of the number on the bar or youā€™ll psyc yourself out of the lift if not in the right mindframe, just grip and rip!

4 Likes

This one. Youā€™ll hit your reps and youā€™ll set new PRs without a deload and while training squat and deadlift on the same day and bench and OHP on the same day.

I did it and so can you. I missed my OHP PR of 170 lbs but a few weeks later I hit 165 lbs for 3 during Built for Battle. The PR was there; I just missed it on that particular day.

3 Likes

Do it the slaya way. Chalk up, make aggressive chalk clouds (bash chalked up hands together , yell fuck yeah or lightweight etc. Now lift with rage!!

1 Like

*coughing fit as you inhale

5 Likes

I think I may have finally found a purpose for those stupid training masksā€¦

5 Likes

Nah. When you canā€™t breath properly you train best. Trust me

1 Like

Woke at 88,8 kg - 195,8 lbs

Hahaha guys I donā€™t have any chalk, can I use flour to make those clouds :slight_smile:
Btw @duketheslaya I have tried the rage and fury thing donā€™t really work for me. I might take an extra breath and try to tighten up even more.
But thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

True. Everyones different. I have a secret stash of anger that i never use, itā€™s a dark place. Really drains all my energy. In training hyping up is one thing/getting mad but ill save that dark place for competition.

1 Like

When I do that, trying to get angry of something I almost if not always miss the lift.

The key is focus and remember your cues.

1 Like

You need to get some, you are leaving kgā€™s out there for sure.

3 Likes

Hi guys Iā€™m trying out my own programming, one Iā€™ll run for the first part of next year.
Take a look and tell me if Iā€™m way off.

Be warned quite a long post ahead :smile:

The Viking Powerbuilder Protocol

Iā€™ve based it around Brian Alsruhes programs and thoughts, mostly 4Horsemen.

There is a little bit of Jims work as well itā€™s well hidden but itā€™s there.

Furthermore Iā€™ve looked at the Prilepin chart.

And Iā€™ve been looking a bit at Markā€™s training.

As you know I did the Darkhorse and found it very taxing, I loved the giant sets and the way Brian sets it up.

I looked at 4horsemen and found I liked it pretty much, so much that I started to plan the program.

Then Mark told me a bit about his training, so I altered it a bit more.

Itā€™s a 4 day a week program based around the big 4, squat, DL, Bench and OHP.

I am not using a training max but the current max for the lifts. You can use a rep calculator for the first round. But if you use a calculator be honest to yourself.

The program uses percentage based lifting with 4 main percentages 65%, 72%, 80% and 90%

Unlike Jims work where all lifts are performed at the same percentage every week, The Viking Powerbuilder program have 4 different percentages every week.

Itā€™s based around 4 week cycles.

Each day is performed in four different ways:

Intensity % - style

65% - 4 sets of 5 20-30 second rest then 90 seconds rest followed by AMRAP

72% - 7 triples EMOM

80% - 6 doubles 90 ā€“ 120 second rest

90% - 1 - 3 single ramp as for a PR set. Backoff Amrap 80% 72% and 65% 120 second rest

Youā€™ll do 3-4 warmup sets done giant set style examples below:

Jump-squat-hang leg raise

Kb swing-DL-plank

Row-bench-side crunch

Pull up-OHP-side plank

The four weeks look like this:

Week one:
OHP ---- Squat ---- Bench ---- Deadlift
72 ---------- 65 -------- 80 ----------- 90
Week two
65 ---------- 80 --------- 90 ---------- 72
Week three
80 ---------- 90 --------- 72 ---------- 65
Week four
90 ---------- 72 ---------- 65 --------- 80

After the main lift youā€™ll perform a giant set with a variation of the opposite lift.
Keep the same variation for the first 4 weeks and use a short steep progression.

2 ā€“ 3 warm up sets then 3 ramping working sets last set RPE 9
First week would be like 12-12-10 or maybe 12-12-14.

Rep goal for each week 12 ā€“ 10 ā€“ 8 ā€“ 5

BB row ---- KB squat ---- Pull up ---- Jump
CGBP ----- Sumo -------- Z press ---- Front Squat
Core ------- core ---------- core -------- core

Youā€™ll finish the day with a wod of your own choice.

This will be a timed wod for 10 minutes. Work the muscles youā€™ve done for the main set.

This is up to you I have some variations:
Ergorower - burpee emom
Prowler - clean emom
ā€œofficialā€ wod like Cindy or Bear complex
Or something of your own choise

Just get in 10 minutes of heart pumping action.

Progress is made on the 90% day, the program calls for 1-3 singles at 90% so 3 x 1 @ 90%

If you feel like this is a PR day go for it 1 rep 90% 1 rep 102% 1 rep 110%.

Remember to calculate new weights for the next workouts.

If you keep the weights then for the 65% shoot for shorter rests and more reps on the amrap than the previous

72% do the emom as every 45 seconds

The 80% do an extra set

The 90% if you still donā€™t feel ready for a new 1RM just do the 3 singles. But expect big things by yourself.

Next cycle up the weight by 2,5 kg upper body 5 kg on lower body or even less.

Warm up 5 minutes

Ramping sets 10 minutes

Working sets 15 minutes

Giant variation warm up + sets 15 minutes

Finisher 10 minutes

So just shy of an hourā€¦ oh remember you might end up on the floor for some time before youā€™ll be ready to hit the showers.

If you decide to try it out, please let me know if you alter anything and why. Same if you find it good let me know why.

If youā€™ve made it this far I salute you :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Very cool mort! Good stuff

1 Like

I like how you incorporated perligin chart. It is over looked and valuable.

2 Likes

Fancy program! I like it!

1 Like

It looks like youā€™ve thrown a little bit of everything in there. I like it because Iā€™m always trying to do everything all at once. Get bigger, get stronger, improve conditioning, get more explosive, etcā€¦

The only thing that caught my attention as a potential negative is pushing the 90% day for PRā€™s. That puts you in a position to attempt a new 1RM every four weeks which is more often than one needs to test that. Youā€™ve allowed some self regulation by leaving it up to the lifter to determine if thereā€™s a PR there though. I think a smart lifter would try to limit himself (or herself) to only attempting a new PR once every three cycles, or 12 weeks.

Youā€™re experiencing first hand with SGSS why you donā€™t have to lift near 100% very often to make progress.

Iā€™m not suggesting you change anything; Iā€™m just cautioning people to be smart about pushing for that PR. Youā€™re allowing a guy like @losthog to attempt a new 1RM every week. :wink: Each week would be a different exercise but itā€™s still taxing and probably unnecessary.

I havenā€™t seen you write your own program until now and Iā€™d like to say this looks damn good for your first shot. Well done! Iā€™ll bookmark your post and maybe someday Iā€™ll be able to return to this type of training.

3 Likes

Yeah I had that in mind as well.
I will put a note about it.
But I thought about the Hog and how he would love it :slight_smile:
Nah joking, Iā€™m still trying to learn when Iā€™m strong and ready to go for a pr, so Iā€™ll use it as a learning tool for autoregulation.
Iā€™ll give the 90% day a shot as a deload day between SGSS and the virtual meet. Just to try it out and not going for real amraps on the backoff sets.

2 Likes

Part of programming is learning as you go. Iā€™ve planned all sorts of workouts and itā€™s not uncommon for me to get to the gym and run something and walk away thinking ā€œThere is no way in hell I can sustain that.ā€ Sometimes I donā€™t even get to that point. I write it out and fail to complete it during the workout.

Itā€™s just all part of the learning process.

1 Like