T-Nation in the UK

Seems like the UK representation is from all around the country. How many of you all are in London?
Other than a UK specific forum or cheap(er) supplements i’m not sure what else is needed for the UK. Isn’t that the whole point fo the internet? Easy to access no matter where you are?

It would be cool to know which gyms you all frequent. I would kill for a gym in London with bumper plates and trainers that won’t tell me that heavy deadlifts are “bad for your back”

[quote]Bicep_craze wrote:
I think I’m the only Maltese on these boards :confused: [/quote]

Btw Bicep_craze I’m Maltese as well. Born in San Gwann. Grew up in Mellieha. I went to Savio College in Rabat and St. Alberts in Valletta. Living in the UK at the minute but will be in Malta this summer.

[quote]Bravo-1-6 wrote:

Seems like the UK representation is from all around the country. How many of you all are in London?
Other than a UK specific forum or cheap(er) supplements i’m not sure what else is needed for the UK. Isn’t that the whole point fo the internet? Easy to access no matter where you are?

It would be cool to know which gyms you all frequent. I would kill for a gym in London with bumper plates and trainers that won’t tell me that heavy deadlifts are “bad for your back”
[/quote]

I’m in SE16 in London. I go to the Fusion in Southwark Park, however they are rumoured to be closing down in the next couple of months so I think I may move to a gym near London bridge (Top Notch I think it’s called).

I will be training in a few months time at a gym called Hi-Rep in Folkestone, no frills, just a heck load of iron! Currently training at a Bannatynes with no squat facilities and knackered plates, missing DB’s, etc.

The guy who runs it is a bit of an ogre according to most, but I found him alright. Maybe its because I squatted a decent weight with decent form when I went in there…

Just waiting to bump into the manager of the place i’m to see if he can terminate my contract there without having to give the 3 months notice, or see if they are getting me a squat rack and some new plates anytime soon.

[quote]Bravo-1-6 wrote:
[/quote]

Legends in Hackney!

LR

Another Brit here, based just outside Cambridge.

I’d be happier with cheaper access to supplements too.

[quote]London Runner wrote:
Bravo-1-6 wrote:

Legends in Hackney!

LR[/quote]

Where is this “Legends” in Hackney?
I lived just off of Victoria Park for a while and will moving back to the area soon so a local club would be perfect.

This thread made me curious and I just stumbled on this link for an Oly gym in Bethnal Green ( http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2008/10/29/bethnal-green-weightlifting-club/ )
Looks pretty good. I will try and check it out in the next couple weeks.

and of course there’s Muscleworks: http://www.muscleworksgym.co.uk/index.html
I’ve worked out here quite a few times. Some seriously big dudes here but lots of scrawny little punks that get in your way as well. (i’m not that big but i still get annoyed when dudes i see there over and over only do 10kg bicep curls about 15 inches from the mirror IN THE SQUAT RACK!!!) There are a couple old school dudes here too that are impressive but it’s a little too bodybuilding focused for my taste.

There is no proper gyms in my area. I’m going to a council gym. It’s only £30 a month, but there are no Olympic bars or squat racks. It’s got plenty over machines, but I would prefer if I could squat and deadlift without a bloody Smith Machine, I do better without it.

There is this gym around the corner from me that’s more expensive, has a squat rack, proper barbells and has some guys training who are a bit more serious, even some bodybuilders. However, you can only use it five times a week, which is fine. The opening hours are like 11am-9pm which is quite restrictive.

I’ll probably end up a regular there, despite losing a pool, sauna, treadmills, more machines, space and some birds to perv at for a cheaper price.

[quote]lloydk wrote:
There is no proper gyms in my area. I’m going to a council gym. It’s only £30 a month, but there are no Olympic bars or squat racks. It’s got plenty over machines, but I would prefer if I could squat and deadlift without a bloody Smith Machine, I do better without it.

There is this gym around the corner from me that’s more expensive, has a squat rack, proper barbells and has some guys training who are a bit more serious, even some bodybuilders. However, you can only use it five times a week, which is fine. The opening hours are like 11am-9pm which is quite restrictive.

I’ll probably end up a regular there, despite losing a pool, sauna, treadmills, more machines, space and some birds to perv at for a cheaper price.

[/quote]

Do it mate !

&

I live in Barnsley, near Sheffield for the geographically challenged of you… as for decent gyms here, i went to basically the big fitness center style one we have here, absolutely terrible if im honest, looking back! It had enough treadmills/“weights machines” for about 20-30 people i expect… but the free weights area could only seriously accommodate 5 people at very tops, there were decent quality bars, which was nice, and a decent dumbell rack up to 88 pounds… which was only decent because of the lack of strong people. I encountered 3-5 impressive physiques the whole time i was there…

anyway, sampled a much more “bodybuilder” style gym, but i didnt like how busy it was one session, with the one squat rack and no where to peform rows/deadlifts etc… no good selection of bars just lots of benches/dumbells etc.

now im working out at home… just me and a power rack and up to 150kg of weights to add on… my gains have been better in 12 weeks then probably 6 months prior in terms of how i look and my strength is now at an intermediate/novice level…

my lil’ story for you

also: the only thing i could ask more from T-Nation is a couple of articles based on the knowledge of the best places in the uk to train/best places to buy food etc!
& better distribution of the Biotest supplements… cos every english user on here WOULD buy them

[quote]kdad wrote:
Another Brit here, based just outside Cambridge.

I’d be happier with cheaper access to supplements too.[/quote]

I’m near Cambridge as well. Where abouts do you train?

I’m based in South Wales. My gym is the Dip ‘n’ Deadlift, which is to say my house’s rear extension. It’s the cheapest and most convenient place I’ve found, where I let me use chalk, deadlift, grunt and swear, hog the equipment for circuits- marvellous!

[quote]Xris wrote:
I’m based in South Wales. My gym is the Dip ‘n’ Deadlift, which is to say my house’s rear extension. It’s the cheapest and most convenient place I’ve found, where I let me use chalk, deadlift, grunt and swear, hog the equipment for circuits- marvellous![/quote]

LOL! That sounds like a winner.

LOL indeed mate. And I’ve always got the place to myself :wink:

I’m moving to London in the fall, and if you guys pay me, I’ll bring your T-Nation products over in my suitcases for FREE SHIPPING ! How’s that sound ?

[quote]Bravo-1-6 wrote:
Where is this “Legends” in Hackney?
I lived just off of Victoria Park for a while and will moving back to the area soon so a local club would be perfect.

This thread made me curious and I just stumbled on this link for an Oly gym in Bethnal Green ( http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2008/10/29/bethnal-green-weightlifting-club/ )
Looks pretty good. I will try and check it out in the next couple weeks.
[/quote]

That Gym you posted looks better then Legends. But if you still want to know, it’s across the road from Dalston Kingsland station.

Here’s a picture from Google street view. The outlined steel door, goes up a staircase to the gym, above the butchers.

LR

Here’s a video in the gym, can’t really see much, I found it on YouTube.

The guy in the Harlem hoodie is the owner.

LR

Looks like a decent gym that! Wish there was more here.

I’ve been quite lucky with gyms. At uni in Newcastle i use their gym, and even though it doesn’t compare to some like bath or Loughborough i can do whatever i want. At home in Peterborough i train in a council gym, unlike the one Lloyd said mine has eleiko bumper plates, several power racks and a weightlifting coach. Its basically a room full of weights, so perfect.

i agree that getting Biotest stuff cheaper would be good here, but its not like your limited for choice on supplements though.

I currently train at harry’s gym in Harwich Essex, little hole in the wal place inside a old school building, 70% of which is matted for martial arts clubs. £2.50 a visit, it has a powerrack, two olympic bars, load of very old and very well used dumbell’s heaviest of which is 72kg, i started training in this gym but sadly travel about alot for work and enjoy returning home purely to train there

Hey guys,
I live in London, SW16, and train at my home gym which is really well equipped for powerlifting. If anyone is interested in coming over for a session feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Chris

I honestly didn’t realise there were so many Brits on here.

I’m based in East Anglia, I train at a Fitness First gym. Not brilliant, but it has olympic bars, a squat rack and not that many people who try and curl in it (mainly due to a big guy called Dave who squats a ton and tends to growl at people curling when he wants to squat).

For anyone based near Cambridge, check out Core Cambridge (google it, they have a website). I’ve only been there once for a physical assessment, but they have no machines, multiple power racks and oly bars, a 100m indoor track for sled pulling / pushing and from what I can gather, all the trainers are top class guys.