Supercardrives - One More Attempt

Covid happened, as you can see below.

And nope, that’s 135 lbs, not kg. Had to shift to freedom units.

Also, it’s interesting that the only thing you focused on in my log was bench press, which is honestly the barbel lift I care about the least (and it shows).

I don’t think you will like the advice I have, but I’ll offer my 2c anyway for what it’s worth.

If your goal is to really just increase your bench, then that’s fine, your goals are your goals, and your reasons are your reasons. But you have to understand, the currency of the iron game is time. I made the best gains on 5/3/1, which always had me training at submaximal weights (the weights even looked embarrassing in the gym at times). But I took the advice of other strong people - to not chase the numbers. Instead, I focused on putting the work in consistently (as best I could). The numbers were just a short to medium term goal - something to make me happy every now and then once I hit them. I always had my long term goal overarching my training. I guess I’m just lucky that I set my long term goal early on.

As I write this, I came from an overnight 12 hour shift in a physically demanding job, currently 6 nights a week. I still trained after. I have 4-5 hours to sleep, come back to work, and do it all over again. One of my lifts sucked today, and that’s okay. I still put the work in. I only train twice a week because it literally boils down to choosing sleep vs choosing to train. Again, numbers are nice to look at, but there are things that are more important than the numbers. Mental fortitude, discipline, progressing in the gym despite the demands of life…among other things.

Stop measuring your progress by the bench press. And stop comparing yourself against others. The only person you are competing with in the gym is your former self.

Stick to an intelligent program. Put in the work. Embrace the grind. The numbers will follow.

11 Likes