Suck at Reps

[quote]trivium wrote:
Here is another excerpt from another article about someone who got pretty strong.

“Pre-meet Training: As the Kaz approached a meet, he would cycle down on reps. First Bill would use an 8 rep scheme, then cycle down to five reps, and finally heavy triples.”

No mention of singles.

Yes, I understand the place of heavy singles in training, and why you should do them if you are going to compete in powerlifting, however I think it is silly to say that if you suck at reps, that you wouldn’t benefit from rep work.

One of the articles mentioned by Mr. Carter in that article was Sheiko. Large portions of Smolov are based on reps.

And, who is going to argue with Bill Starr’s 5x5. It has been around for ages, and until the advent of the internet and what not, that was all I could remember people telling me they used when I would ask them for advice for 8th grade football in 2003-2004. 5x5 was the answer when I was 8 years old and asked my uncle how he trained. He said that and vegetables. (I mean what was the guy supposed to do tell me to eat McDonalds and drink gallons of whole milk?)

Looking back, I wish I would have listened and started back then with a solid program.

I also think that if you use the principles outlined in 5/3/1 for all programs, you can take a crap program and get results. (Start light, progress slowly, set PR’s, train big lifts.)

5/3/1 is fantastic though due to the fact that you will hit rep ranges and possibly break a PR 3x a cycle. What if your 1RM is stuck? Should you deload? Should you keep missing lifts? OR…maybe it would be more productive to set a PR with a big triple instead of freaking out and deloading? Maybe you could grow in that rep range and then come back to singles. Maybe you are a bit burnt out and could use a few weeks of 10’s, 8’s, or 6’s? Who knows?

Even WS4SB works on reps.

In my opinion, which I’ll admit may not be worth shit, you have nothing to lose by adding rep work.[/quote]
Thanks man, i appreciate your help

[quote]trivium wrote:
Here is another excerpt from another article about someone who got pretty strong.

“Pre-meet Training: As the Kaz approached a meet, he would cycle down on reps. First Bill would use an 8 rep scheme, then cycle down to five reps, and finally heavy triples.”

No mention of singles.

Yes, I understand the place of heavy singles in training, and why you should do them if you are going to compete in powerlifting, however I think it is silly to say that if you suck at reps, that you wouldn’t benefit from rep work.

One of the articles mentioned by Mr. Carter in that article was Sheiko. Large portions of Smolov are based on reps.

And, who is going to argue with Bill Starr’s 5x5. It has been around for ages, and until the advent of the internet and what not, that was all I could remember people telling me they used when I would ask them for advice for 8th grade football in 2003-2004. 5x5 was the answer when I was 8 years old and asked my uncle how he trained. He said that and vegetables. (I mean what was the guy supposed to do tell me to eat McDonalds and drink gallons of whole milk?)

Looking back, I wish I would have listened and started back then with a solid program.

I also think that if you use the principles outlined in 5/3/1 for all programs, you can take a crap program and get results. (Start light, progress slowly, set PR’s, train big lifts.)

5/3/1 is fantastic though due to the fact that you will hit rep ranges and possibly break a PR 3x a cycle. What if your 1RM is stuck? Should you deload? Should you keep missing lifts? OR…maybe it would be more productive to set a PR with a big triple instead of freaking out and deloading? Maybe you could grow in that rep range and then come back to singles. Maybe you are a bit burnt out and could use a few weeks of 10’s, 8’s, or 6’s? Who knows?

Even WS4SB works on reps.

In my opinion, which I’ll admit may not be worth shit, you have nothing to lose by adding rep work.[/quote]
I checked out Carters programs and he has an intermediate program that looks awesome, definitly gonna try it

[quote]trivium wrote:

[/quote]

Sounds similar to some of Ed Coan’s stuff

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[/quote]

Sounds similar to some of Ed Coan’s stuff[/quote]

Ed Coan was mentioned in the article as well. Kirk Karwoski’s training was also detailed as being similar in nature.

I can’t speak to the effectiveness of westside, however I can tell you that I, as well as a ton of others both famous and otherwise, have had great success with “reps.”

Yeah, I read the article after posting that :stuck_out_tongue: I had success using cycles based of Coan’s methods

To me, whether reps build strength or not (can’t see how getting stronger in one rep range can’t have an effect on another, but I’m not getting into that debate), being good at them is important to me. I don’t want to be the guy who can lift big weights, then gets out of breath climbing stairs or something.
Yeah, it’s the powerlifting section, and we compete for singles, but if you can’t rep out 90% of your max a few times, something is wrong.