Squat Depth

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

But seriously, this topic never gets old, and I LOVE watching people claim all sorts of amazing lifts but somehow NEVER having a digital camera or even a camera phone to record these feats of strength with. It’s uncanny I tell you. [/quote]

You mean you don’t believe my word that I can squat 1000lbs on one leg till my ass touches the ground??? LOL, or my personal favorite in a thread recently was a guy claiming a 400+lb squat even though his physique photos looked, well, misplaced, then he was challenging everyone to come see and take him on even though he put up no videos…that was funny.

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

But seriously, this topic never gets old, and I LOVE watching people claim all sorts of amazing lifts but somehow NEVER having a digital camera or even a camera phone to record these feats of strength with. It’s uncanny I tell you. [/quote]

You mean you don’t believe my word that I can squat 1000lbs on one leg till my ass touches the ground??? LOL, or my personal favorite in a thread recently was a guy claiming a 400+lb squat even though his physique photos looked, well, misplaced, then he was challenging everyone to come see and take him on even though he put up no videos…that was funny.[/quote]

Lol yup I remember that thread, a few months back I think. Lots of lolz. That was the one with the kid who photoshopped his head on someone else’s body right?

Yep! too funny

[quote]summa wrote:
Ok. Put more simply…how low do you go and why?[/quote]

As low as I can (which puts me just below parallel on a good day)
Because I have a PL background, therefore I want to go to ‘legal’ depth.

Did ATG squats for the first time ever today after a 2 month layoff with pneumonia. While the layoff has put me kinda out of shape this lower depth of squat was very eye opening.

Before the layoff I would do single dead lifts at up to 185kg and happily squat 160ish kg for reps at what I thought was parallel but most likely was a bit above. I ATG squatted 100kg for 4 reps today (thinking it would not be that hard at that weight) and just about died.

Makes me now realise that I was an ego whore before and low squats are the way to go from now on.

How’s this for squat depth…i almost lost the third set becouse i didnt go so low…when you get to only squat ATG you become weaker with paralell…try maxin out your bench stoping at the middle point…you’ll shit your pants…when you go ATG you include every muscle there is to include in a squat wich equals more power…look at olympic lifters…they know full range is full power.

Are people supposed to be impressed at your 300lb squat?

[quote]

As low as I can (which puts me just below parallel on a good day)
Because I have a PL background, therefore I want to go to ‘legal’ depth.[/quote]

I’ve made myself a small wooden box that i touch my arse on each rep so I know i’m consistently hitting depth. I don’t sit on it like a box squat just touch and go. I noticed when I worked in a gym that as the poundage goes up the squat tends to get shallower. This helps keep you “honest” and is especially helpful if you train alone. If you don’t touch the box you don’t count the rep!!

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
Are people supposed to be impressed at your 300lb squat?[/quote]

its acctualy 220…my max was 314lb with a bodyweight of 135lb and age of 19…wich is still a national record been for 4 years now…most people are impressed by that. should people be impressed with this video? well i guess its up to the people huh? i was focusing on the topic though.

“… you don’t even need to need to bring your hip bone in line with the top of your knee at the bottom of the motion.”

Recipe for injury! Actually there’s more shearing force to the knee when someone doesn’t go down as far as possible in an Olympic/bodybuilding squat… AND won’t get as much quad stimulation either.

“… the problem is most americans dont know how to train!”

I literally LOLed from this one! Why don’t you tell that to some of the greatest squatters on this earth (all of whom happen to be residing in America)!

I particularly wouldn’t mind if you told that to Ed Coan, or better yet, Kirk Karwoski!

You might find yourself in flight if you told that to the latter. :slight_smile:

Just to repeat because I can’t stop giggling: “Americans just don’t know how to train.”

[quote]Marko Begu? wrote:

its acctualy 220…my max was 314lb with a bodyweight of 135lb and age of 19…wich is still a national record been for 4 years now…most people are impressed by that. should people be impressed with this video? well i guess its up to the people huh? i was focusing on the topic though.[/quote]

Focusing on the topic? Just about anyone can go rock bottom with 220lbs, because 220lbs is chick weight. Most people that squat real weights don’t go that deep and there is a reason for that. So your claims of full range of motion for full power are quite silly. As for that being a national record, what tiny country is that then? Because the 135lb 19 year old record where I come from is 365, drug tested and raw.

At Bricknyce: You are leaving out the keyword there. MOST. But then again, that applies to just about any country…:stuck_out_tongue:

its acctualy 220…my max was 314lb with a bodyweight of 135lb and age of 19…wich is still a national record been for 4 years now…most people are impressed by that. should people be impressed with this video? well i guess its up to the people huh? i was focusing on the topic though.[/quote]

Focusing on the topic? Just about anyone can go rock bottom with 220lbs, because 220lbs is chick weight. Most people that squat real weights don’t go that deep and there is a reason for that. So your claims of full range of motion for full power are quite silly. As for that being a national record, what tiny country is that then? Because the 135lb 19 year old record where I come from is 365, drug tested and raw.

At Bricknyce: You are leaving out the keyword there. MOST. But then again, that applies to just about any country…:P[/quote]

Fair point. :slight_smile:

At Bricknyce: You are leaving out the keyword there. MOST. But then again, that applies to just about any country…:P[/quote]

Are you saying that in the video above he went too low on his squats?

[quote]Fandango wrote:

Are you saying that in the video above he went too low on his squats?[/quote]

He’s saying the claim of squatting far below parallel allowing you to squat bigger numbers than only going to parallel is silly. If that were true, then why would anyone be impressed by ATG squats…wouldn’t THEY be “cheating” then?

I’m not sure but I guess the argument’s validity will depend on someone’s flexibility as well as whether they are good at taking advantage of the stretch reflex or what it’s called. If your flexibility allows you to go a lot deeper, it would perhaps be harder to reverse the weight at an earlier point?

If he was aiming to actually do well at his meet, then yes. If training for Oly lifting or some sports, then no.