Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

I agree with @simo74

Woke at 84.6kg looks like I can safely say I’m 84 now. Training tonight and then a big push over the weekend to do some cardio and get into the 83’s for next week.

3 Likes

Friday 8th Feb - hypertrophy block week 3

Deadlifts
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 10 x 5 sets (253 lbs) RPE- 6, 7, 7, 8, 8
Still find these 10 rep sets hard on the lungs. Bar moved ok though. Lats were still sore from all the pull ups on Wednesday so got a real good lat pump tonight.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
97.5 x 7 (214.5 lbs) RPE- 9,
97.5 x 7 RPE 10,
(dropped a little low on the last rep and didn’t think it would come up but I managed to muscle it up)
97.5 x 7 RPE 8 couple were a little high so could have done a couple more
97.5 x 7 RPE 9 hard
97.5 x 7 RPE 9 yuk
Feeling a little light headed after deadlift which made these harder. Overall I hit the reps, a few were ugly and a couple were high but I’ll take it. Legs are fried.

Bench
Bar x 10
72.5 x 10 x 5 sets (160 lbs)
SS Rows
72.5 x 8 x 5 sets
I use the same bar for these, so have to bench then lift it off, walk it back over the bench, put it down, do the rows, walk it back and lift it back up into the j hooks. These are killer, lungs puffing harder than with deads or squats.
Fingers could barely grip the bar on the last 2 reps of the last 2 sets. Forearms were so tight, I had to flex them a little!! :sunglasses:

Glute ham raise
10 x 3 sets
SS Ab wheel rollouts
10 x 3 sets
SS hammer curls
12.5 x 15 x 3 sets

Wow week three was tough and next week is going to be harder again. After week 4 there is a deload week and then back to the grind stone. Body seems to be coping and recovering ok, even with no / very low carbs.

8 Likes

a good flexing is always nice :slight_smile:

Fuark Mate a killer workout, talk about full body :slight_smile:

EDIT: saw your reply to TnT about 2 full body workouts a week.
Maybe I should switch things up a bit, looks absolutely awesome.

1 Like

As you well know by now mate. Lots of different things work. I really only did full body twice a week because that is what worked with my family and work. I’d love to do another day but it doesn’t work right now. So the best bang for buck if you only have 2 days is to do full body. For boys that aren’t 35 anymore it also allows suitable recovery.

2 Likes

Shit dude. Nice deadlifting

1 Like

Nice workout man. Looks devistating. Glad it’s you and not me!

2 Likes

Hey, you pointed out a perk of being tall! When I do this combo I can just straddle the bench and do my rows. I usually do underhand grip. It’s still a bastard to move the bar but at least I don’t have to walk with it - just a couple steps back and I’m good to go.

Thank you for making feel even smaller. Lol. I suppose I could move the bench back and do them in the half rack but moving the bar seems the best but also most tiring way.

1 Like

Woke at 84.3kg good to see a slight weight drop after last nights training. Body was in pieces today, back was sore, legs were tight, abs were aching. Felt good last night but now I really feel like last nights session was a tough one. Going to need lots of protein today.

Food has been ok today but body is still very sore. I have cricket with the kids in the morning so hopefully all the movement will free me up a little.

2 Likes

Woke at 84.2kg, treated myself to some salted peanuts last night so was expecting a slight gain. Good to see the scale come down. Had a great morning at cricket, coaching the little kids. My daughters team won their 20 20 match so they were super happy. One daughter got a wicket and they both made some runs so a great morning all round.

3 Likes

Got in 10 x 2 min rounds on the heavy bag again this afternoon. My boy came out and hit the bag during my 30 sec rest between rounds. He got bored after 7 but it was still fun to train with him.

6 Likes

How’s that saying go? “like father, like son”?

1 Like

Yer I hope so, he did some lifting with me the other day. He was lifting a 9kg slam ball like it was a strongman stone. Hopefully he will learn from his dad and want to be fit and strong and not fat and lazy.

2 Likes

Haha I’m sure he will, you sound like you’ve got this dad shit figure out :+1:

1 Like

Woke at 84.9kg which was a little surprise. I did have a little natural yogurt before bed but not enough to cause the weight to go up. I did have a couple of very big dumps shortly after weighing so probably lighter now !!!

4 Likes

Monday 11th Feb - week 4

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
92.5 x 10 RPE 8 (203.5 lbs)
92.5 x 10 RPE 8
92.5 x 10 RPE 8
92.5 x 10 RPE 9
92.5 x 10 RPE 9
92.5 x 10 RPE 9
SS with weighted sit ups
10 x 6 sets

These higher rep squats are always a big lung buster and tonight was no exception. More weight than last week and an extra set. This was not very nice !!!

Bench
Bar x 10
65 x 5
80 x 7 x 6 sets (176 lbs) RPE - 8, 8, 9, 8, 9, 9
SS with band pull
20 x 6 sets
Very little energy left after squats. Was starting to feel nauseas by set 4 but just breathed through it. Good chest pump.

Bulgarians
10kg each hand x 10 x 5 sets
Very short rests here, just long enough to catch my breath. Legs were burning on these.

Push up
Max x 5 sets - 40, 20, 18, 18, 15
SS with
Pull ups
5 x 5 sets
Kept the rest short here, just wanted to finish and lay down. Ears started doing their weird popping thing for the last few sets. Very odd!!

All up 1:35 including set up and tidy up. This was an excellent session tonight. Coach has got this training block progression absolutely spot in. Each week is getting harder and I just get through it but still recover enough to back it up with another session later in the week. Feeling really good. Well actually feel totally shattered but still really good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Few kilo’s right there…

2 Likes

Totally, all broccoli I am eating is keeping me clockwork and helping volume !!!