Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Friday 12th Jan - Deadlift and OH press

Was feeling good today so was expecting to have a good session. Legs didn’t have any soreness from squats earlier in the week and back hasn’t been to sore.

Deadlift - focus on tight lats and fast pull tonight
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
105 x 3
120 x 2
130 x 2 RPE 6 bar moved great and wanted to do more but sticking to the plan
112.5 x 6 x 3 sets
RPE 5. Rushed the first set a little, 5 better set took time to stay tight, 6 good speed happy.
These felt ok but backs a little angry after. Good job I have osteo tomorrow morning, I can fk it and she can fix it !!!

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
42.5 x 6 x 3 Sets
RPE 6 - RPE maybe lower than a 6 these all flew up, again wanted to push more but stuck to the plan.

Pull ups + 5kg
6 x 4 sets
RPE 7 8 9 10 (maybe half a rep left !!)
Expected these to be tough, I really need to do some more of these through the week.

Hanging leg raise x 20, hammer curl 20kg dumbbells x 12, push ups on handles x 30 1st set, 20 2nd set.
2 rounds of this.

Totally smashed by end !! Great workout. I am celebrating my hard work with a can of Pepsi max, I am so hardcore !! Lol.
Lower back is definitely a bit angry now but hoping this is just muscle soreness from working hard. Really enjoyed tonight, it is amazing how a couple of weeks of deload and going back a couple of weeks in the program has really made me feel fresh and up for it.

5 Likes

Went to see the osteo on Saturday morning. Back was a little sore from Deadlift but not too bad. She did the usual range of motion tests including getting me to squat a couple of times. What she told me was she could see me favouring my left side. essentially using my left side to do about 80% of the work. She did some work in my back, neck and shoulder/pec insterts all of which were sore and tight. Everything felt a bit more free today and it will be interesting to see how squaring goes tomorrow. If I can get my body to use both legs equally I am thinking I must get some power gains. Time will tell.

I have finished my two social engagements for the weekend and have managed to limit my alcohol levels but have seriously over eaten. Really need to start adding in some more exercise through the week. 2 days in the gym is good but it barely scratches the surface.

Do you find yourself favouring or swaying after your sticking point when squatting?

I hadn’t noticed that Irish, I do get the wobbly legs or a bit of knees caving in when the going gets tough but hasn’t noticed one side. A friend of mine did point out to me the other day that when I walk I favour one side so have a slightly uneven gait or limp. It is very slight but it’s there. Hopefully she can fix this for me.

Oh if it’s in your gait as well it may be a more difficult situation.

I was going to say, next time you squat heavy, do it in front of a mirror and take note if you sway to one side on the way up. You may need to drop weight for awhile to ingrain the proper technique.

Again, it may not just be a form issue for you though.

Are your legs the same length?

No idea if they are different lengths have never thought to measure them !!! Maybe I can get the wife to run the tape down them !

Make sure she focuses on the outside legs first :wink: haha

Lol. I went to an 18th party last night and didnt stop drinking till 5am. Woke up at 8 but man i was fucked - pro tip dont mix weed with alcohol + slowly progress somehow from drinking punch with vodka and drinking beer to drinking straight vodka and rum and other shit.

I have kind of the same issue.
When I bend over and reach for the toes, the whole body turns in a funny way.
I don’t reckon it.
BUT I had /have issues with the SI joint on one side locking up.
Well what I want to say Simo, have your SI joints checked.
EDIT: about a year ago it was so bad I coulden’t bend over to put my socks on, that’s when I found out. PT helped me with mobilisation

You got it in one mate, the osteo says my SI is all locked up so will start doing some stretches and massage/manipulation. Probably going to need to get back on the roller every night too.

Monday 15th Jan Squat and Bench

Usual warm up which is the agile 8 without the roller work.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
100 x 3
102.5 x 3 RPE 8 felt a little slow
102.5 x 3 RPE 8 little better but still not good,
102.5 x 3 RPE 7 got a bit angry and these were better did an extra rep (so actually 4 reps) and still had at least 2 in me
Hips/SI joint not happy tonight, did some stretching at the end to hopefully free up the hips.

Bench - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 15
65 x 5
85 x 3
87.5 x 3 RPE 7
87.5 x 3 RPE 8 hit the j hook coming down on rep 3 and had to push up and start again…annoying!,
87.5 x 6 - did 6 reps and still had one in me. RPE for three reps was 6

Row
85 x 6 x 3 Sets
RPE 7 8 8

Upright row
25 x 25 x 2 massive trap and neck pump after these.

Overall happy with the session but squats weren’t what I was hoping for. The reps were all deep and clean but these wasn’t much power there. Maybe just fatigue from deadlifts on Friday or from osteo pulling everything around. Will see how I go next week !!

2 Likes

I think a lot of lifters, do have this thight SI joint.
Hope your PT can fix you. I got some manipulation/massage and some mobility exercises to do.
Worked like a charm…
Did a bad bad pull this saturday and I think the damn thing is back.

Thursday 18th Jan Deadlift and OH press

It was very hot in the gym tonight. It has been 40c here today and the gym is a 6m x 6m brick garage with a metal door. The sun heats the door up all afternoon which turns the gym into a sauna.

Deadlifts

Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
120 x 2
130 x 3 x 4 sets
RPE 8 a little slow, 7 better, 8 ok, 8 these felt hard

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
45 x 3
60 x 3 RPE 9 that felt too hard !!
60 x 3 RPE 7 little longer rest and felt way better
60 x 3 7
60 x 3 9 stupidly put the weight on the floor after the third set so had to clean the weight first. This made it harder for real !!!

Pull ups + 5kg
8 x 3 Sets
RPE 9 10 10 only 7 reps on last set,
Kept the rest short and had nothing left!!

Hanging leg raise x 20 hammer curls 15kg x 15, push up x 30
2 rounds 30 sec rest, only did 20 reps on the secondary be set of push ups.

Good session tonight, expected strength to be effected by the heat but it wasn’t too bad. I was literally dripping sweat on the floor after the first warm up set so pretty happy to get all the reps tonight. Hips felt ok and legs had recovered well from squats earlier in the week. Happy days

2 Likes

Monday 22 Jan Squat and Bench

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
105 x 2
115 x 2 RPE 9 very happy def had one more in the tank. Last time I did this weight I only got 1 and had to dump the bar on the 2 rep. Even had energy for a little YEH when the second rep went up. It’s not much but it’s baby steps!!
92.5 x 6 RPE 7
92.5 x 6 RPE 8
92.5 x 6 RPE 8
92.5 x 6 RPE 9 bit wobbly !!
92.5 x 6 RPE 9 even more wobbly !!
Back and hips felt ok. Was getting a fair amount of knee cave on the last few sets but got through them ok. Neck was getting sore but nothing so bad it effected the reps.

Bench
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
95 x 2 1 RPE 9 felt hard tonight, maybe a bit tired from squat and the heat but didn’t have my usual drive today.

82.5 x 6 x 5 sets
Superset with bent over Row
82.5 x 6 x 5 sets

Short on time tonight so I superset the press and row, this made the row extra hard and really got my lungs burning !!

Upright row 30 sec rest
25 x 20 x 2

Very happy today, worked hard and made a baby jump from a few weeks ago. Celebrated the workout with one of the kids icy poles to cool down. Quality

3 Likes

Have muscle soreness in my quads already from tonight’s squats. Walking up stairs to tuck the kids in was interesting !! Not looking forward to the next few days!!

2 Likes

This whole process is a long line of baby steps mate. They add up.

1 Like

As I expected legs are pretty sore today and I am guessing will be worse tomorrow. Will try and walk as much as I can at work tomorrow and will get on the roller tomorrow night. Don’t have deadlifts till Thursday so hoping they will be good by then.

1 Like

KFC didnt do the job lol

No it did stop my stomach from aching though :wink:

1 Like

I was right, have been walking like a cripple all day and don’t even talk to me about sitting on the toilet !!!

1 Like