Self Defense/CCW in Philadelphia

[quote]hedo wrote:

I do not teach the 235 course. My training is for pistol and rifle and a couple of other esoteric disciplines such as reloading. It’s not my primary way of making a living. Beyond that most of my instruction is in the CQ use of concealed firearms and practical defensive pistol techniques. I teach students to survive and prevail, not to take a beating or possibly be killed in a confrontation. That being said avoidance is the first thing I teach for a civilian. However avoidance to the point of absurdity isn’t wise or prudent and long checklists of what one should or shouldn’t do is training to be killed. The law doesn’t require someone to stay in their home or go over the top to avoid a confrontation. That’s a feeling you have and a bias that you claim you don’t have. Why would someone corner themselves in a store when being pursued by a gang. Tactically it’s a losing proposition. I’m sure if a cop was nearby,the cop would have been involved. I didn’t see or hear of a Philly PD officer coming forward to say he saw them and the police took a few minutes to arrive…they weren’t in the area.

Regarding a sense of empowerment by carrying a gun, that’s just wrong. Most folks feel a sense of responsibility and look for an opportunity not to use it. In NJ where handguns and permits are highly restricted to only the police and well connected individuals, that may be the case, but in PA the right to bear arms is guaranteed to all non felons. I’ve never met someone who felt emboldened by carrying a gun that I’m aware of. I know a lot who felt secure knowing they could defend themselves if attacked. A concealed weapon is an equalizer against six unarmed bullies with ass kicking on their minds.

As to my comments about Philly being absolutely over the top with regard to gun charges one only needs to look at the public statements by the politicians and police officers as well as the DA. It’s fairly common knowledge among those who carry a gun in PA and among those who teach them to do it properly. Even Philly has doubts about this case. The shooter is free on a $20K bond for crying out loud. If they thouhgt they could get him for murder the bail should be much higher. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be investigated or the shooter questioned but based on experience the more rural DA’s don’t arrest people for defending themselves BEFORE the investigation is completed. Philly does. So does NJ. The man has a permit from VA., it reciprocal with PA. Philly charges him with illegal carry of a weapon w/o a permit, yet the man has a permit on him and it’s easily verified by a call to the VA State PD. Why do that? Pure harassment nothing more. The DA in Bucks and Montgomery Co’s don’t do that, I’ve never seen it and I look at all of the CCW shootings in PA in passing. The NRA and some PA organizations publish summaries of them every month.

Sorry you think I’m biased but I’m not. I’m practical and I can’t base my safety on a feeling or a hope that my attacker is going to be benevolent to me and merely beat the crap out of me, instead of killing me because I chose to use a public street. Sometimes bad guys get shot for doing bad things to the wrong person. I’m OK with that too. As to me being a dangerous instructor, that’s a matter of opinion. I ,and those I know ,teach what works, not what might work, maybe, if your lucky. Not a choice for everyone and some aren’t capable of making it. Don’t carry a gun if you aren’t prepared to use it and do so properly. I’ve had wives and girlfriends of policeman and sheriff’s take classes with me. I’ve caught competition techniques to plenty of policeman. Nobody has accused me of being a gunslinger looking for a fight or a careless instructor. Some people are comfortable around guns, others have a fear of them.

Don’t know what remains to be said. Keep an eye on the case and I will too. Let’s see how it turns out.

[/quote]

There’s a tone to this that has become a little personal, and if I’m at all responsible for that I apologize. However, you are missing that I am ultimately quite neutral on this case. Your bias however is clear. Hell, you’re even painting me with some NJ brush, and NJ does not color my perception of this case one iota. Not one bit. Please stop referencing it.

The sense of empowerment trap is not something I made up. It’s a documented fact, and not my opinion. There are those that will fail to avoid situations they normally would if they were not armed. I did not make this up.

Avoidance to the point of absurdity? Training to be killed? That sir is absurd and you’re just being hysterical. I don’t want to engage in a pissing contest with you, but your points beg a retort:

1. “Corner yourself in a store”? Are you serious? Really? That’s just ludricous. Are you at all familiar with this area? In any way shape or form? This was not some “gang” as you call it (you are now no better than the media). Both actors were part of a group. Ung was not alone with his GF. Walking directly to a populated area or business is “over the top” to avoid a confrontation you allegedly want no part of? We will do not know who started the hostilities, who was drunk, who said what. Admit that much at least.

2. No Philly PD nearby? Again, I must ask, are you familiar with this area? They are all over down there this time of the night. This is not open to dispute. It’s a simple fact.

3. Philly has a gun problem. It naturally shapes the response by the Department and the politicians. Politics. Nothing more. He’s free on 10% of $200,000 by the way. He’s a law student at a city U. He’s stable. He has representation. And the kid did not die. It’s not a murder case…yet. Right now, it’s an Aggravated Assault case basically, and 200k bail is plenty high. Philly PD may have quirks and biases as to how they treat gun cases, but this kid still gets arrested in the other counties.

4. “Bad guy”? Again, you’re as guility as the media in your bias. Try local drunken frat meathead maybe spoiling for a fight. That would probably be fair? “Bad guy” conjures up images of some armed robber or rapist. Just because I’m a tad uncomfortable with the shooting of an unarmed frat boy, does not mean I am at all unfamiliar with “what works” or what is reasonable. You teach. I do the job. Avoidance works. And no one dies. I know the area and apparently you don’t. And if you did know the area and you still think this kid could not avoid a beating with a bit of avoidance/humility, you’ve got to reexamine your biases.

An unarmed man was shot. That you can believe without the facts that it was so “clean” based on 10 seconds of video, knowing none of the facts that lead up to that 10 seconds, is indeed alarming. No offense. I didn’t call you dangerous, but I’m troubled by your cocksure conclusions based on 10 seconds of video. If it’s not biased (it is and it’s apparent) then it’s irresponsible.

About the only thing that is clear from that video is that once he drew his gun, he had no choice. What is not clear is whether drawing that gun was reasonable.

Bodyguard,

I’ve not taken anything personal and I hope you haven’t either. It’s T nation a little sarcasm and pithy retorts are the norm and nothing to get upset about.

Well documented by whom? I’ve honestly not seen anything on the subject by an objective source and I consider myself well read on the subject.

1. Deadly serious. I am familiar with the area. I’ve been all through Head House Sq, Society Hill Towers and listened to music at the Kyber Pass. Had a buddy shot and killed on South Street back in the 80’s, he was mugged. You are asking me agree with a position that is unsound and I am not all that sure you understand tactics in the defensive use of a pistol. Google Gabe Suarez, Ayoob, Clint Smith. I’ve trained with all 3 of them and a few other folks. If you can find anyone who says it’s a good idea to limit your options like that I’m all years. It’s not a sound tactic.

2.Finding a cop is. You say they were all around but why didn’t any of them make themselves apparent and intercede. That may be your opinion but the facts contradict your opinion. They didn’t witness the altercation so they were not in range to be summoned. If would be a fact if one of them saw the altercation and assault. It certainly doesn’t appear it was done in whispers. Surely a local policeman would have at least had an interest in a loud argument…if he was there and available to help.

1. I don’t think you have any facts to base the actions of the Philly DA (not the PD) and compare them to the DA’s in other counties. Don’t take my word for it. Nappen in NJ or a host of experienced gun lawyers in PA. could answer that question for you. They lecture frequently at advanced training classes. No way does a DA order an arrest before the investigation has run it’s course outside Philly, NJ or other urban areas.

2. Bad guy is a euphemism. The frat boy could be a really swell guy doing stupid things with stupid people and got shot over it. Attackers are generally referred to as the bad guy.

It’s a forum. People discuss things based on their opinions. Once he drew his weapon the frat boy still had a chance to avoid being shot. Stop pressing the attack and put his hands down. His forward momentum carried him into the shooter. That’s it. Stop being the agressor and he avoids getting shot. Legally it is called “res ipsa loquitur” the last clear chance to avoid injury, and he chose not to do so.

By the way what is it you “do” actually. I’m assuming it’s related to personal protection based on your screen name. You said you were going to ask other folks you work with who are “armed”, so I’ll assume you don’t carry a gun for a living, or off duty due to NJ restrictions on CCW. I’ve got a little bit more experience and training then is common starting with a combat tour with Uncle Sam and up through some of the top training schools that I could afford over the past 20 years. Just curious.

Like I said I have no more to add until I hear more about the case.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Bodyguard,

I’ve not taken anything personal and I hope you haven’t either. It’s T nation a little sarcasm and pithy retorts are the norm and nothing to get upset about.

Well documented by whom? I’ve honestly not seen anything on the subject by an objective source and I consider myself well read on the subject.

1. Deadly serious. I am familiar with the area. I’ve been all through Head House Sq, Society Hill Towers and listened to music at the Kyber Pass. Had a buddy shot and killed on South Street back in the 80’s, he was mugged. You are asking me agree with a position that is unsound and I am not all that sure you understand tactics in the defensive use of a pistol. Google Gabe Suarez, Ayoob, Clint Smith. I’ve trained with all 3 of them and a few other folks. If you can find anyone who says it’s a good idea to limit your options like that I’m all years. It’s not a sound tactic.

2.Finding a cop is. You say they were all around but why didn’t any of them make themselves apparent and intercede. That may be your opinion but the facts contradict your opinion. They didn’t witness the altercation so they were not in range to be summoned. If would be a fact if one of them saw the altercation and assault. It certainly doesn’t appear it was done in whispers. Surely a local policeman would have at least had an interest in a loud argument…if he was there and available to help.

1. I don’t think you have any facts to base the actions of the Philly DA (not the PD) and compare them to the DA’s in other counties. Don’t take my word for it. Nappen in NJ or a host of experienced gun lawyers in PA. could answer that question for you. They lecture frequently at advanced training classes. No way does a DA order an arrest before the investigation has run it’s course outside Philly, NJ or other urban areas.

2. Bad guy is a euphemism. The frat boy could be a really swell guy doing stupid things with stupid people and got shot over it. Attackers are generally referred to as the bad guy.

It’s a forum. People discuss things based on their opinions. Once he drew his weapon the frat boy still had a chance to avoid being shot. Stop pressing the attack and put his hands down. His forward momentum carried him into the shooter. That’s it. Stop being the agressor and he avoids getting shot. Legally it is called “res ipsa loquitur” the last clear chance to avoid injury, and he chose not to do so.

By the way what is it you “do” actually. I’m assuming it’s related to personal protection based on your screen name. You said you were going to ask other folks you work with who are “armed”, so I’ll assume you don’t carry a gun for a living, or off duty due to NJ restrictions on CCW. I’ve got a little bit more experience and training then is common starting with a combat tour with Uncle Sam and up through some of the top training schools that I could afford over the past 20 years. Just curious.

Like I said I have no more to add until I hear more about the case.[/quote]

Glad to see no offense:

1. This is preposterous. You are not LIMITING your options, you are EXPANDING them by seeking potentially safe refuge. An open bar, a cop down the corner, more pedestrians coming and going all lessen the chance of an attack. He still has the last option - it should be his last.

2. It’s not my opinion. You obviously haven’t been in old city early sunday morning recently. A simple 911 call would suffice or, walking back to where the action is. There isn’t a copy literally on every corner and a philly copy certainly isn’t too interested in a running dialogue between two groups of rowdies, but the point is, he didn’t try. That’s my point.

3. I"ll defer to you here.

4. You’re confused. Res Ipsa Loquitur means the thing speaks for itself. You have your legal terms confused. Nothing in this case speaks for itself. There is a “last clear chance” doctrine generally, but I’ve only seen that applied to motor vehicle accidents or tort matters, not criminal.

I am an insurance and security consultant with 20 plus years insurance claims litigation experience and about 15 year personal protection experience. I do some PI work too. I have directed the defense of 100’s of security related cases (in addition to 1000’s of P&C and Excess & Surplus line claims) and I’ve been admitted as an expert in Federal Court on insurance claim matters. I’ve directed 100’s of claims to verdict, negotiated 1000’s of settlements - all complex, high exposure litigation. I understand the law :slight_smile: My partner on the security end was responsible (head of the security detail) for the professional and personal protection of one of our countries most famous dignitaries, as well as 20 years of past related military experience and most recently, tours in Iraq for the State Dept. protecting dignitaries, foreign and domestic.

More often than not, armed security is not required for personal protection work. Sometimes I carry, sometimes I don’t. I do not have my ACT 235 as I don’t do much personal protection anymore and some of my guys in the club do carry…that’s why I intended to ask them. We usually have a gun on the front and rear doors of the club, and we pay a patrol car to sit on the corner all nite. I’m probably going to get my ACT 235 soon. Maybe.

If I were in this situation (unlikely if I’ve done my job) and had a client, I start heading back to a more populated and traveled area (back to the bars) and if I think things may escalate, I dial 911 as we walk. We walk. We don’t engage in a walking dialogue as they did, which escalates things. This does NOT limit my options, it increases them. You act as if I advocated walking toward a dark alley, instead of a more densely populated area.

You already have my agreement that once he decides to draw, based on what I see on tape, he has no alternative but to shoot. That’s about the only concession I can make and I made it in my earlier post.

At the end of the day, it would appear to me you see no distinction between being alone in a dark alley with a potential assailant, and being on a crowded city block, with a group of people and the potential to avoid a confrontation. At the end of the day, an unarmed man was shot…if this happened to me and I have a client, the client is getting sued and I have failed. Ung, if he failed, is going to jail. And the kid could have or still can die. I don’t see much success here. As for limiting your options, that’s exactly what Ung appeared to do.

We see the case different. Let’s follow it together to its conclusion. Like minded people can still see things from a different perspective. I don’t have a “NJ perspective” and I certainly don’t have a LEO perspective. I have an “avoidance” first perspective which is sound practice in my business.

Shooting an unarmed man is an extraordinary event. That the confrontation occurred on a crowded city block, early sunday morning, and involved the normal late night tom foolery, is NOT extraordinary. I do not advocate that Ung suffer a beating and that he has any duty to do so; I question whether he did his best to avoid the confrontation. I know if I were in that spot and armed, I would. Because I wouldn’t want to be in his position now.

Bump

Case is in trial now. Prosecution rests.

Interesting case. I do not know enough yet to have an opinion other than getting into street confrontations is stupid.

Either way the dead guy was a moron.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:
Interesting case. I do not know enough yet to have an opinion other than getting into street confrontations is stupid.

Either way the dead guy was a moron.[/quote]

He’s not dead, but in rehab, slowly recovering. He’s spoken out recently, but never mentioned his stupidity for his aggression.

I’ll bet he never would have been so aggressive if he weren’t with his homies that night.

Everyone lost a little piece of themselves that night.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110216_Temple_law_student_acquitted_of_all_charges_in_bar-hop_shooting.html

He was acquited. Self Defense justifiable. Considering the powerful family influence of the kid who was shot it had to be cut and dry in the eyes of the jury.

Still a waste of time and money. This case doesn’t get an indictment outside of Philly or Pittsburg in PA.

[quote]hedo wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110216_Temple_law_student_acquitted_of_all_charges_in_bar-hop_shooting.html

He was acquited. Self Defense justifiable. Considering the powerful family influence of the kid who was shot it had to be cut and dry in the eyes of the jury.

Still a waste of time and money. This case doesn’t get an indictment outside of Philly or Pittsburg in PA.[/quote]

Although the defendant made a lot of mistakes leading up to and during the altercation, I’m still pleased with the verdict.

[quote]hedo wrote:

Still a waste of time and money. This case doesn’t get an indictment outside of Philly or Pittsburg in PA.[/quote]

I don’t know whether I agree or disagree with the verdict but I still disagree that there is no indictment outside Philly. There were enough questions about this shooting that needed a fair trial. Anyway, I’m not sure how the “powerful family” could influence the trial itself.

[quote]hedo wrote:

Based on what little I knew of the case, it seems like a good call.

Scenarios like this are precisely why I DON’T carry a gun. I think that there is a much higher probability of me losing my cool and ending up in front of a judge than there is of me getting attacked by people that could actually threaten me. I am simply not level-headed enough in situations like this to responsibly carry a weapon.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Scenarios like this are precisely why I DON’T carry a gun. I think that there is a much higher probability of me losing my cool and ending up in front of a judge than there is of me getting attacked by people that could actually threaten me. I am simply not level-headed enough in situations like this to responsibly carry a weapon.[/quote]

That’s a very reasonable attitude.
I used to carry as a young teen (13,14 that age). Thank God I never had to come out with it.

Nowadays I just keep it simple and lawful with a coin roll in one pocket and cell phone in the other. When you’re in a metropolitan area, cops actually shop up fast enough.

This thread makes me wonder what everyone thinks an acceptable standard is when it comes down to avoiding this kind of trouble?

I don’t think BG is wrong with his opinions on practicing avoidance, as many confrontations can be easily avoided with even a little foresight. I just can’t help feeling that Ung was justified in not making more of an effort to avoid this, though he probably wished he had done so now. Is it right that idiot troublemakers can go around bullying others into making a choice of running away, risk a severe beatdown/death, or calling the police?

I have been in situations where I’ve had to practice avoidance in the past, and had no problem doing so, as I was alone and in very bad neighbourhoods. But even knowing I was making the smart decision, it always felt like I was tucking tail and running away.

There have also been situations where I made very little effort. When I was younger, and with a girlfriend, there was no way I would back down from all but the worst odds. I would be a lot wiser now, but that’s what a little maturity does I guess.

[quote]fraggle wrote:
This thread makes me wonder what everyone thinks an acceptable standard is when it comes down to avoiding this kind of trouble?

I don’t think BG is wrong with his opinions on practicing avoidance, as many confrontations can be easily avoided with even a little foresight. I just can’t help feeling that Ung was justified in not making more of an effort to avoid this, though he probably wished he had done so now. Is it right that idiot troublemakers can go around bullying others into making a choice of running away, risk a severe beatdown/death, or calling the police?

I have been in situations where I’ve had to practice avoidance in the past, and had no problem doing so, as I was alone and in very bad neighbourhoods. But even knowing I was making the smart decision, it always felt like I was tucking tail and running away.

There have also been situations where I made very little effort. When I was younger, and with a girlfriend, there was no way I would back down from all but the worst odds. I would be a lot wiser now, but that’s what a little maturity does I guess.

[/quote]

As a gut reaction I agree with this, however, we have to take into consideration the alternative - which is someone possibly dying. I’m glad Ung was not convicted, but to claim he should not have to practice more avoidance considering the alternative doesn’t seem to make much sense, either.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]fraggle wrote:

[/quote]

As a gut reaction I agree with this, however, we have to take into consideration the alternative - which is someone possibly dying. I’m glad Ung was not convicted, but to claim he should not have to practice more avoidance considering the alternative doesn’t seem to make much sense, either. [/quote]

I guess I should have expanded on that. I agree that as you said, given the alternative, he should have practiced more avoidance. There is an emotional cost to hurting someone else, even if legally justified. I’m not trying to say this kind of thing is an epidemic, and we should start shooting anyone that gets in your face.

I am wondering is what others thoughts are on how much avoidance should we as a society require? Is it fair that people should have to run from people harassing them, or call the cops?

Either which way you lean, there are problems. Require too much in the way of avoidance, and not only would it embolden many thugs, but there would likely be a lot of immature young men being incarcerated due to that higher standard. Require too little and you would see a lot more people being shot.

[quote]fraggle wrote:

[/quote]

I have very mixed emotions about it.

First, literally carrying the decider of life and death in your waistband is an enormous responsibility. Under normal circumstances, I do not think you have any obligation to go running away, calling the police and practicing other forms of avoidance if you don’t want to.

However, knowing that you have the power of life and death and some idiot is not thinking straight (obviously, because no one WANTS to get shot), I think you need to do a little more than Ung did and the prosecutor felt the same.

I was particuarly troubled that he was okay enough to immediately call the police after shooting the kid, but couldn’t be bothered or felt threatened enough to call the police while this harrassment and threats were occuring. I’m a little biased b/c I know the area and there are police all over down there on a weekend night. In fact, the police arrived instantly when called.

You can argue this both ways obviously, but the fact remains, two lives where hanging in the balance as a result of judgment calls by both parties. The kid that got shot, his health and life were in the balance. And Ung’s life was in the hands of the jury. If it were me, I’d rather just exercise a lot of avoidance, rather than have a jury decide my fate.

Personally, if I were armed, I’d have called 911 BECAUSE I was armed and b/c of the gravity of the potential outcome. If I were unarmed, I’d probaly turn and fight.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]fraggle wrote:

[/quote]

As a gut reaction I agree with this, however, we have to take into consideration the alternative - which is someone possibly dying. I’m glad Ung was not convicted, but to claim he should not have to practice more avoidance considering the alternative doesn’t seem to make much sense, either. [/quote]

I’m not sure I think he should have practiced “more avoidance” because he really practiced none. What has changed for me since we now know more facts is that I think he should have called 911.

He was able to do it after he shot him, yet couldn’t be troubled or felt he was in enough danger to do it before? Like I said earlier, the problem with some people carrying weapons is that they feel empowered, and no longer avoid situations they should avoid. It’s a tough case.

I love the “good shoot” comments.

Get real. “Disrespecting” a guy and his girl merits six shots to the chest? Really? Disrespect deserves a potentially lethal response? That’s absurdly disproportionate to the “offense.”

Even charging the Ung does not merit a lethal response. Man up and fight or fucking walk inside a shop/store/bar. This isn’t the wild west.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]fraggle wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not sure I think he should have practiced “more avoidance” because he really practiced none. What has changed for me since we now know more facts is that I think he should have called 911.

He was able to do it after he shot him, yet couldn’t be troubled or felt he was in enough danger to do it before? Like I said earlier, the problem with some people carrying weapons is that they feel empowered, and no longer avoid situations they should avoid. It’s a tough case.[/quote]

Definitely a tough case, but I wouldn’t say he didn’t practice any avoidance. From what I remember, Ung was followed for several blocks and being harassed. I’m not saying there wasn’t more he could do, but he did walk away from his pursuers for several blocks, which you damn well know takes a lot of willpower to begin with. I completely see your point, however, no one would have been shot if Ung had sought help much sooner. It’s a very blurry line of how much avoidance a reasonable person is expected to practice.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I love the “good shoot” comments.

Get real. “Disrespecting” a guy and his girl merits six shots to the chest? Really? Disrespect deserves a potentially lethal response? That’s absurdly disproportionate to the “offense.”

Even charging the Ung does not merit a lethal response. Man up and fight or fucking walk inside a shop/store/bar. This isn’t the wild west.[/quote]

Some of the blind “good shoot” comments are indeed on the whacky side, however, your portrayal of the incident is just as whacky, just on the opposite side of the spectrum. Ung does not know these people and has no reason to suspect they would not have beat him to death and harmed his girlfriend.

The truth is, anyone who thinks this is a clear cut case in either direction needs to have their head examined. :slight_smile: